• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

'Merica: YOU ARE SO GAY!

Well America, don't be surprised if God decides to punish us with more droughts, rising sea levels, and more intense hurricanes. Thanks SCOTUS.

It's not being "sensitive" to condemn bigotry and hatred. It's being "normal".

Oh for fuck's sake. :rolleyes: Give yourself a righteous slap on the back for courageously standing against "hatred and bigotry".
Last time I checked, Tom Sawyer hadn't sought any praise for anything. So your post is just a ridiculous attempt to sidestep their comment and try to score points.

I feel bad for all those people who are in unmarried relationships with partners who want marriage more than them and who now won't have the law as an excuse that they're not married. There were even some straight people conveniently "vowing" not to get married until it was legal for gays.

What about their rights? When do they get their own ribbon?

When people stop showing the kind of biased vitriol toward gays that is evident in your post, that is when gays can "start living normally".

Parades are pretty damn "normal". All types of people have them for all types of reasons, and most of them are rather "flamboyant", including Easter and Christmas parades. Do you get so upset at all parades?

LMFAO. Forgot those folk are so sensitive.

Get a mirror. You're the one who's acting all hurt because other people are making use of their right of assembly.

If anyone's acting overly sensitive, it's you and those like you.

I feel bad for all those people who are in unmarried relationships with partners who want marriage more than them and who now won't have the law as an excuse that they're not married. There were even some straight people conveniently "vowing" not to get married until it was legal for gays.

Hey, they can still hold out until after all the potential constitutional amendment fights end. The battle isn't done yet, brothers, and as long as there's a single gay man without a husband in the country, you avoid having to shell out cash for a wedding ceremony and being forced to spend a weekend with your mother-in-law.

Your bravery and willingness to self-sacrifice is an inspiration for all of us. I know that the word "hero" is overused these days, but you men are the greatest heroes in the entire history of the world.

You mean when you were talking about how gays should stop feeling the need to publically express who they are because bigotry against them is now done?

If you also held the view that blacks needed to STFU about racism after the Civil Rights amendment was passed, then I could at least credit you with being consistent.

1. You haven't answered my vitriolic question about my vitriolic post.
If they feel they need their version of a Santa Claus parade, then let them have it. I will continue to dislike that and to say so. I will not join in a Heterosexual parade, if one is ever organised, and will insist on making equally vitriolic comments about it. As far as homosexuality itself is concerned, I have no objections to it. The parade is sleazy, as would be the same parade of heterosexuals.

2. Racism by 'whites' in the USA and Canada is widespread, in the North as well as the South of the USA. especially among the ignorant and badly educated, this last category encompassing the majority of the population of N.America. Blacks, as you call them, have been its victims here for 300+ years. Civil rights do not guarantee protection from it. Takes a murderous crime like that in Charleston, to give a kick in the balls to self-satisfied 'whites' sufficient to even make them begin to think of the problem of racism. I don't think parades will do it. Blacks, as you call them, the majority of them, publically express who they are by the colour of their skin. Bigotry is here to stay. There was bigotry against the various waves of immigrants, the Irish, the Germans, the Jews, the Polacks, the Italians, the Bohunks, the Ukes, the Swedes in Minnesota. Now shifted in the US to the Hispanics. That against the African Americans continues throughout these various others. Education and example is the answer. Parades speak to the sympathisers only.

I vehemently disagree with several of your points. If you don't like parades, that's fine. You're also free to say so. The reason your post is being called vitriolic (at least from my view) is because whether you realize it or not, the way your post comes through sounds judgmental, self righteous and challenging. As far as to your comment about "sleaze", if that bothers you, avert your eyes. Carnivale (Rio) has been happening for some time, so it's not like gay parades have a monopoly on adult themed parades. Most importantly, parades don't just speak to sympathizers, and gay pride parades have been an integral part of the movement for several reasons. There's safety in numbers. It's a sign of defiance to have a gay pride parade. As they say they're here, they're queer, so deal with it. It's a sign of actual pride. People have been trying to shame gays since forever. The parades are a way to show others that what they do isn't wrong, immoral, etc. It's a thumb in the eye. It offers opportunities for networking, it brings gays into closer contact with heterosexuals when they normally wouldn't, and coming out and being known is sometimes the best contribution to normalizing relations with gay people and seeing them as actual people.

You make an impassioned plea against racism, and I applaud that. Now imagine an "African pride" perade with skimpy outfits and dancing, music and so on. Would you still find it so distasteful? If not, why not?

1. You haven't answered my vitriolic question about my vitriolic post.
If they feel they need their version of a Santa Claus parade, then let them have it. I will continue to dislike that and to say so. I will not join in a Heterosexual parade, if one is ever organised, and will insist on making equally vitriolic comments about it. As far as homosexuality itself is concerned, I have no objections to it. The parade is sleazy, as would be the same parade of heterosexuals.

2. Racism by 'whites' in the USA and Canada is widespread, in the North as well as the South of the USA. especially among the ignorant and badly educated, this last category encompassing the majority of the population of N.America. Blacks, as you call them, have been its victims here for 300+ years. Civil rights do not guarantee protection from it. Takes a murderous crime like that in Charleston, to give a kick in the balls to self-satisfied 'whites' sufficient to even make them begin to think of the problem of racism. I don't think parades will do it. Blacks, as you call them, the majority of them, publically express who they are by the colour of their skin. Bigotry is here to stay. There was bigotry against the various waves of immigrants, the Irish, the Germans, the Jews, the Polacks, the Italians, the Bohunks, the Ukes, the Swedes in Minnesota. Now shifted in the US to the Hispanics. That against the African Americans continues throughout these various others. Education and example is the answer. Parades speak to the sympathisers only.

I vehemently disagree with several of your points. If you don't like parades, that's fine. You're also free to say so. The reason your post is being called vitriolic (at least from my view) is because whether you realize it or not, the way your post comes through sounds judgmental, self righteous and challenging. As far as to your comment about "sleaze", if that bothers you, avert your eyes. Carnivale (Rio) has been happening for some time, so it's not like gay parades have a monopoly on adult themed parades. Most importantly, parades don't just speak to sympathizers, and gay pride parades have been an integral part of the movement for several reasons. There's safety in numbers. It's a sign of defiance to have a gay pride parade. As they say they're here, they're queer, so deal with it. It's a sign of actual pride. People have been trying to shame gays since forever. The parades are a way to show others that what they do isn't wrong, immoral, etc. It's a thumb in the eye. It offers opportunities for networking, it brings gays into closer contact with heterosexuals when they normally wouldn't, and coming out and being known is sometimes the best contribution to normalizing relations with gay people and seeing them as actual people.

You make an impassioned plea against racism, and I applaud that. Now imagine an "African pride" perade with skimpy outfits and dancing, music and so on. Would you still find it so distasteful? If not, why not?

Yes I would find it ditasteful, bringing the genuine, bloodstained, long struggle down to the level of Pride and Rio parades.

Your bravery and willingness to self-sacrifice is an inspiration for all of us. I know that the word "hero" is overused these days, but you men are the greatest heroes in the entire history of the world.

Yessir. Greater than Mandela & Gandhi & Martin Luther King and that sort of minor "nobody".:rolleyesa:

Yessir. Greater than Mandela & Gandhi & Martin Luther King and that sort of minor "nobody".:rolleyesa:

Damn right. Bless their souls.

They can put it off until there's a gay president....?
Or if they're really adamant, wait for an atheist one.

This would've been more encouraging if it wasn't split between the conservatives and liberals on the supreme court. Oh well.

What was the main reasoning behind the dissenters? Marriage isn't in the constitution?

What was the main reasoning behind the dissenters? Marriage isn't in the constitution?

"Gays are icky."

I was kind of surprised. I expected a better showing in support of.
I could never understand how a state, any state feels the voters should say whether a group of people should be allowed to share the same rights and benefits they themselves possess.

So, they (the ??10%) are normal and 'accepted' and can marry, if they want to, in every State of the Union. Now can we please have an end to 'Gay Pride' parades? Just start living normally for Chrissakes, like the rest of us.

Get in line, pal. I am still waiting for the damned Irishmen to quit their St Patrick's Day marches. They got their Free State, and then most of the Republic they wanted. Now that the Good Friday agreement is in force and the IRA have officially disarmed, it's about time they dropped this foolishness and acted like normal, non-Irish citizens, instead of ramming all this 'shamrocks and green beer' nonsense down our throats. :mad:

I've been reading conservative comments on news articles, and it's now clear to me. Every single civilization that has ever failed went into decline immediately after legalizing gay stuff. Greece failed because of gays. Rome failed because of gays. Babylon failed because of gays. The Shang Dynasty failed because of gays. The Aztecs? It was the gays. The Maya: gays. Need I go on?

In fact, no other sin has ever led to the decline of a nation. I just want you all to realize that shit is going to go down, because this is the only sin that God is interested in punishing a nation for.

Growing up in the UK in the 1980s, I spent perhaps more time than was healthy worrying about nuclear war, and at that time I figured that moving to Australia would be a smart move, as Australia would escape the worst of a nuclear conflict between the superpowers of the northern hemisphere.

As it turned out, I moved to Australia after the Cold War had ended; but now I find that my childish plan to escape Armageddon was truly prescient; I shall be On The Beach, watching the annihilation of the USA, if anyone needs me.

What excellent good fortune we had in getting a rampant homophobe and devout Catholic as PM just at the time the rest of the developed world became progressive on this issue. They don't call us 'The lucky country' for nothing.

It's not being "sensitive" to condemn bigotry and hatred. It's being "normal".

Oh for fuck's sake. :rolleyes: Give yourself a righteous slap on the back for courageously standing against "hatred and bigotry".
Yeah, Tom, you have to admit that the implication that you are 'normal' is pretty unreasonable.

Well America, don't be surprised if God decides to punish us with more droughts, rising sea levels, and more intense hurricanes. Thanks SCOTUS.

Quit being impatient. It takes the astronomers time to plot the orbit of a threatening rock, don't expect to hear anything yet.

Of course the last rock he threw missed by a mile--and was aimed at Mars rather than Earth in the first place. He's not much of a threat.

Back
Top Bottom