• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mirror Universe Caption Contest

"Are you sure this is going to work?"

477326258-business-mogul-donald-trump-points-as-he-gives-a-speech.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

"Hair cells" are actually cells in your cochlea that act as the sensory cells i.e. they translate some physical stimulus into a neural stimulus - in this case physical vibrations. They are called "hair cells" because they have tiny, apical "hairs" that are attached to the tectorial membrane. These hairs essentially open and close with the vibrations in the membrane, which is what ultimately causes the electrochemical stimulus. Avian hair cells, unlike mammalian hair cells, can regenerate. When we lose enough hair cells, we go deaf. Birds can regrow theirs.

"Avian hair cells"????

"Hair cells" are actually cells in your cochlea that act as the sensory cells i.e. they translate some physical stimulus into a neural stimulus - in this case physical vibrations. They are called "hair cells" because they have tiny, apical "hairs" that are attached to the tectorial membrane. These hairs essentially open and close with the vibrations in the membrane, which is what ultimately causes the electrochemical stimulus. Avian hair cells, unlike mammalian hair cells, can regenerate. When we lose enough hair cells, we go deaf. Birds can regrow theirs.

I had heard of hair cells but didn't realize birds had them. Are they common to all terrestrial vertebrates?

I had heard of hair cells but didn't realize birds had them. Are they common to all terrestrial vertebrates?

Fish too! Although their hearing organs are not homologous to the mammalian and bird hearing organs (which are homologous), although they do have otoliths, which for us terrestrial members of the vertebrate family is used for the vestibular sense (sense of balance). I'm not really familiar with fish hearing organs, and a quick check reveals a lot of diversity (not surprising since fish are the most diverse group of vertebrates) but they do famously have something called the lateral line, which is on the outside of their body, that allows them to detect movements and vibrations in the water. The lateral line is based on hair cells. Indeed, a lot of work on hair cells uses zebrafish.

Sorry people. I unexpectedly came over all busy. But it worked out well as I would have awarded the plaudits to Thomas II's effort. :)

Back
Top Bottom