• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mississippi Passes "More Dead Kids Please" bill. Texas responds w/ "hold my beer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouldn't feel bad about not caring to discuss because they haven't actually discussed anything yet.
It's gotten better.

How's this for a response? Complaining that your pic in your avatar is too ugly?

Tom

With trans, poeople said stupidly, "Well I put on my mother's shoes as a kid, that doesn't mean I'm trans." No shit Sherlock.
Yeah. That's why such behavior shouldn't be used to diagnose a child as trans. Let them be children. Let them grow up.
You have some incidents of that actually happening?
How you differentiate when the presentation is the same? Why do detransitioners exist? Let's let them grow up and mature before they make irrevocable life decisions.

“It just feels like I’m being punished for basically being experimented on when I was a child,” said Derricott, of Lawton, Okla. “I’d hate for a child to be put on Lupron, get to my age and go through the things I have been through.”

With trans, poeople said stupidly, "Well I put on my mother's shoes as a kid, that doesn't mean I'm trans." No shit Sherlock.
Yeah. That's why such behavior shouldn't be used to diagnose a child as trans. Let them be children. Let them grow up.
How you differentiate when the presentation is the same? Why do detransitioners exist? Let's let them grow up and mature before they make irrevocable life decisions.

“It just feels like I’m being punished for basically being experimented on when I was a child,” said Derricott, of Lawton, Okla. “I’d hate for a child to be put on Lupron, get to my age and go through the things I have been through.”
So was that person put on Lupron to delay puberty or make her taller? The article doesn't say but that doesn't stop you from making assumptions.

And BTW, you didn't actually answer my question.

TomC said:
How's this for a response? Complaining that your pic in your avatar is too ugly?
Oh my, it is not a grievance I tender, merely a cordial little entreaty, you understand, my dear? Are you perhaps ruffled by my aversion for things not quite pretty? Well, then, my dear, do us all a favour and kindly refrain from posting any snapshots of your countenance, would you? There's a good sport!

You shouldn't feel bad about not caring to discuss because they haven't actually discussed anything yet.
It's gotten better.

Tom
Oh come now, I have no pic in my avatar. How can it be ugly, it's just a green J!

It's gotten better.

Tom
Oh come now, I have no pic in my avatar. How can it be ugly, it's just a green J!

It's not you, praise Jesus.

Check out the thread in Religion Forum about "Morality in Bible stories..."

It's a hoot.
Tom

So you used a bullshit inference and then attempted to temper it with something else?

I say, as a dispassionate spectator in this delightful repartee, I can proclaim with utmost conviction that our esteemed Oleg has emerged triumphant in this intellectual joust, a veritable master of the art of debate. Jolly good show! Bravo, my dear fellow!

Well now, given that Oleg has won the debate, it appears we have reached the denouement of this engaging discourse.

Now that the victor has been declared, to which subject shall we now turn our keen minds and spirited conversation?

So you used a bullshit inference and then attempted to temper it with something else?
I think what happened was a poster asked @Oleg to back up his argument with a real life example. When Oleg did, it was dismissed as an anecdote.
Tom
Wrong. It was dismissed because Oleg made a huge assumption about someone in the article and because he didn't actually answer the question.

Oh my, it is not a grievance I tender, merely a cordial little entreaty, you understand, my dear? Are you perhaps ruffled by my aversion for things not quite pretty? Well, then, my dear, do us all a favour and kindly refrain from posting any snapshots of your countenance, would you? There's a good sport!

I'm nearly as self-centered, overbearing, opinionated, and generally insufferable as you are.

But I'm better at it.
Tom

The argument over who is the most insufferable jerk in this thread needs to stop. It is a derail. Continuance will result in sanctions.

I think what happened was a poster asked @Oleg to back up his argument with a real life example. When Oleg did, it was dismissed as an anecdote.
Tom
Oleg implies that children getting surgeries simply because they put their mom's shoes on.

Asked to demonstrate that is true.

Oleg posts an article (after a presumably very very very short search) about a medicine that is prescribed off label to prevent unusually EARLY onset of puberty. A medicine that some (half according a study) went on to help attempt to delay puberty when it should be happening to help encourage taller height growth (what doctor stands by that plan?!).

Oleg and TomC tl;dr the article and base their opinions on what it says from the article title. Of which none of it was about parents mistaking Tommy wearing mommy's shoes as a clear sign they are trans and go to get him... her fixed.

This is getting so repetitive and tedious.

Great, now the next 3 pages will be dedicated to what TomC thinks Oleg meant. To bad you didn't read the article either before defending it as saying things it didn't remotely do.

Tom
Oleg implies that children getting surgeries simply because they put their mom's shoes on.

Asked to demonstrate that is true.

Oleg posts an article (after a presumably very very very short search) about a medicine that is prescribed off label to prevent unusually EARLY onset of puberty. A medicine that some (half according a study) went on to help attempt to delay puberty when it should be happening to help encourage taller height growth (what doctor stands by that plan?!).

Oleg and TomC tl;dr the article and base their opinions on what it says from the article title. Of which none of it was about parents mistaking Tommy wearing mommy's shoes as a clear sign they are trans and go to get him... her fixed.

This is getting so repetitive and tedious.
For girls, early onset of menarche is positively correlated with increased risk of breast cancer, obeisity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease as well as the increased risk of delinquency, substance abuse, depression and other mental health issues, early sexual activity, among other things. Of course, shorter stature as well. Risks associated with early puberty also apply to boys and is in some ways worse: boys tend to mature less quickly compared with girls. Similar health risks are seen in boys: increased incidence of obesity, heart disease, diabetes, decreased stature, and similar issues with depression and anxiety, Children are being hit by hormonal changes that their minds and social maturity is not yet equipped to handle.

The absolute truth is that people tend to view people who look older as being older. I've seen this with children who were quite young but appeared to be 2-3 years older than their actual age. This is a real issue when the child is 3 and people around them are frustrated because....they are acting like a 3 year old. Obviously when a girl seems to be developing secondary sex characteristics, it will attract a certain level of interest from some males, at a very inappropriately young age. And a real issue when adult men find themselves drawn to a 9 or 10 year old girl who has breasts like a 15 year old (still way too young for adult men). That's a tremendous amount of pressure to place on a child.

How is there any pressure from the library having a book that talks about butt plugs? (And presumably other sex toys but I haven't looked for the context the page was in.)
Really? You don’t think that parents and community members and even some faculty and staff will know and object—vehemently? Loudly? Endlessly? And turn it into another cultural war and excuse to demonize ( fill in the blanks—plural)?
And how does that translate into pressure on teen girls?

The purpose of education is not to provide and endless well on facts and information. It is to teach students how to figure things out on their own, where to look for and find answers, to explore, to use their imaginations. Education provides basics, and frameworks on which to build new knowledge and understanding.
Exactly--libraries. This arose from attempting to purge libraries of anything other than the party line, presumably that page comes from something in the library. And I have no problem with something like that in a high school library.

Kids today are growing up in a world that is very different than the one that you or I or even my kids grew up in. They don’t merely have access to a seemingly infinite stream(s) of information: they are bombarded with it from all sides. That seems to me to be a terrible burden. And more so when there is so much
Which is not in any way a rebuttal to my position on this.

I definitely remember learning how sex worked or sometimes dud t work or go as planned, with both horrible and wonderful results. I know that having the instruction manual, the recipe, the step by step directions does not guarantee that a good time will be had by anyone. There is significant chance that experiences will fall very flat if the joy of exploration is suppressed by rote following the directions. Art is so much more beautiful than paint by number.
People have to learn what works for them, no book can teach that. However, they can and should learn how to avoid bad outcomes.

What we absolutely must do is to instill the ethos that sex is intimacy, like it or not, some of you. Everyone’s feelings and needs, wants, desires , fears, insecurities must be honored. Mutual enthusiastic consent first! In tandem with safety.

What a terrible burden it is to believe there is nothing left to be discovered for yourself! No more mysteries.

We must prepare students to meat the future that we will never see and cannot predict.
Wise men learn from other's experience, fools learn from their own. You seem to be saying everyone should be a fool about sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom