• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

MLB 2017 Season

World Series odds = money x home-run hitters/OBP x pitchers with command and speed

Who needs analytics?

An epic game last night. There is something up with the balls or something, home runs all over the place !

Seems like both teams' hitters have been figuring out the opposing pitchers. They had fairly limited experience with each other prior to this series...

An epic game last night. There is something up with the balls or something, home runs all over the place !
Sundays game was fun, and I think in large part was due to simply great offensive play and patient batting strategy combined with a small ballpark. After all, most of the home runs were multi-run homers, which means lots of base runners. Only 7 of the 25 runs were directly due to home runs. 39 people got on base, 11 of them via walks, and only 14 were left on base. Not only did all those people on base mean that 8 additional runs scored on the total 7 home runs, but it meant pitchers were forced to pitch in high stress situations where any hit would score a run and almost always did. There were 417 pitches thrown in 10 innings, which is almost 50% more than a typical game. That shows that the drama was about much more than the 7 long balls.

All that said, 2017 has seen the most regular season home runs, most post season home runs, most world series home runs, most home runs in a single world series game, and most extra-innings home runs ever in any game. Something is clearly going on with the balls in general.

All year, most pitchers have been complaining that seams in the balls have been less pronounced, making it harder to get spin on curveballs, and thus resulting in "hanging" curve balls that are fodder for home runs. Lower seams would also explain the unusual amount of pitchers who suffered blisters this year. Low seams means they have to grip the ball harder to get friction and that leads to blisters.

On top of that, pretty much every pitcher and coach on both teams is saying that the World Series balls are also "slicker" than the regular season balls, making them even harder to grip. This includes pitchers who have won their games, so it isn't just trying to find excuses. Verlander says you can even see the sheen and says the balls are hard to sign because their waxy like when you get a receipt on slick paper that the pen won't write on.

The funny thing about homeruns, the AL had a huge increase of 20% for the season. The NL.... a tiny drop of 18 HRs. Ever since the strike in '94, homeruns went through the roof.

link

Dodgers facing elimination tonight. The weather is damp, sprinkling of rain and Halloween makes for a nightmare journey home for me.

Dodgers facing elimination tonight. The weather is damp, sprinkling of rain and Halloween makes for a nightmare journey home for me.

Go to the game, get one of those $3,000 tickets.

That last game is a tough act to follow. But it was like an arena football game, not sure what to think about it. Is this the new normal? Whatever happens, I expect the Dodgers to not go away easy tonight.

I like this Dodgers team. They have a huge payroll, but they only have one or two true superstars, the main starters are a bunch of youngsters and nobodies really. The biggest salaries are for Kershaw and then for some older vets who don't contribute much now. Some of the starters were in the minors to begin the year, some had failing careers which have been resurrected now - Taylor, Wood, Morrow, Hill, Turner. Roberts has done a great job getting the most out of them. Not all that sure about his pitching decisions, but it's got him this far. Their core is fairly young, should be a tough team for years to come.

Go to the game, get one of those $3,000 tickets.

That last game is a tough act to follow. But it was like an arena football game, not sure what to think about it. Is this the new normal? Whatever happens, I expect the Dodgers to not go away easy tonight.

I like this Dodgers team. They have a huge payroll, but they only have one or two true superstars, the main starters are a bunch of youngsters and nobodies really. The biggest salaries are for Kershaw and then for some older vets who don't contribute much now. Some of the starters were in the minors to begin the year, some had failing careers which have been resurrected now - Taylor, Wood, Morrow, Hill, Turner. Roberts has done a great job getting the most out of them. Not all that sure about his pitching decisions, but it's got him this far. Their core is fairly young, should be a tough team for years to come.

Tickets for nosebleed available around $300 on Vivid Seats. Which is a lot lower than the first two games. The team is pretty young really. Adrian Gonzalez has been out injured, Ethier has hardly been available, Utley has been used sparingly post season. I've heard the pitching decisions are made well ahead of time based off the analytics by the front office and happens regardless of how a pitcher is performing. Basically, a pitcher will not face the same batter three times. Can't say I agree with this approach.

Excellent game. Hill taken out early again, much to his chagrin. Gurriel got it tight from the Dodger fans and Hill stepped off the mound to let the Dodger fans have their boos heard longer. With it being a World Series game, he couldn't just drill him so I guess that was the next best thing. Game 7 tonight with Darvish starting and a strong Dodger bullpen that includes Kershaw should see us over the line.

Verlander finally loses as an Astro, but don't feel too bad for him, when you look at who he goes home to.

I was so happy when Joc got sent down during the season, I hated him in the lineup. But good for him and his success in the spotlight.

Both of tonight's starters throw sliders, so it could be another wild game. Which slugger will be crowned Mr. November?

Darn it :sad: Morrow was excellent, Darvish was not so good and the Astros deserved their WS title.

Always nice to see a team put a Series on the board for the first time. That and Verlander deserved a title.

Turns out, should have started Kershaw. Worst game of the series. :thumbsdwn:

Turns out, should have started Kershaw. Worst game of the series. :thumbsdwn:

Hindsight is always 20/20.

He starts Kershaw, Kershaw blows it then he gets heat for not starting Darvish. Manager's can't win, except when they do.

Back
Top Bottom