• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

MLB 2017 Season

The Indians gave up a total of 21 runs, only 14 were earned. The Indians committed 10 errors in 5 games.

In Game 4, the 4 runs for the Yankees were all unearned and because of a fielding error by the third baseman. Fielding lost that series.

That is in large part an artifact of the absurd and nonsensical way that "earned" and "unearned" runs are counted.
A pitcher makes an "error" every time they through a bad pitch. Imagine a pitcher throw 3 terrible pitches out of the zone, and then in desperation throws one right over the plate that the hitter smacks at 105 mph at the feet of the shortstop, who then barely gets a glove on it by diving, then frantically throws to first b/c that is the only hope of getting the runner, but the throw is wild. Not only is that counted solely against the fielder and not the far more lousy pitching, but then if the pitcher walks the next 3 batters, the resulting run is "unearned". Likewise, if a fielder makes an error with 2 outs, that allows 1 person on base, then the pitcher gives up 5 hits and 3 walks which leads to 8 runs, all 8 of those runs are counted as "unearned" just because the inning would have ended without the error. This is absurd, because the inning would have ended without a single run if the lousy pitcher didn't give up all those hits and walks. They are way more to blame than the fielder.

Bauer gave up 4 hits and 2 walks in less than 2 innings. He bears majority responsibility for the 4 runs scored under his watch, regardless of what the meaningless "earned" run stats say. Likewise, Clevinger was also terrible, giving up 2 hits and walk in less than 1 inning. And Klubber was 100% responsible for the game 5 loss. He gave up 2 walks, 3 hits, 2 homers, and 3 earned runs in his lousy 3.2 innings, which was all the Yanks needed to win against the Indians lousy, under-performing defense. Plus it was Klubber combined with Clevinger who in game 2 combined gave up 8 hits, 3 walks, 3 home runs, and 8 earned runs in a total of 3 innings. Even though the offense and stupidity by Girardi saved their asses, that lousy pitching exhausted the pen and forced a terrible short-rest outing by Bauer in game 4.

Bottom line is that without any errors, the Indians would have lost due to the stunningly bad pitching, for which Klubber deserves much of the blame even for game 4 where he didn't pitch.

The Indians gave up a total of 21 runs, only 14 were earned. The Indians committed 10 errors in 5 games.

In Game 4, the 4 runs for the Yankees were all unearned and because of a fielding error by the third baseman. Fielding lost that series.

That is in large part an artifact of the absurd and nonsensical way that "earned" and "unearned" runs are counted.
A pitcher makes an "error" every time they through a bad pitch. Imagine a pitcher throw 3 terrible pitches out of the zone, and then in desperation throws one right over the plate that the hitter smacks at 105 mph at the feet of the shortstop, who then barely gets a glove on it by diving, then frantically throws to first b/c that is the only hope of getting the runner, but the throw is wild. Not only is that counted solely against the fielder and not the far more lousy pitching, but then if the pitcher walks the next 3 batters, the resulting run is "unearned". Likewise, if a fielder makes an error with 2 outs, that allows 1 person on base, then the pitcher gives up 5 hits and 3 walks which leads to 8 runs, all 8 of those runs are counted as "unearned" just because the inning would have ended without the error. This is absurd, because the inning would have ended without a single run if the lousy pitcher didn't give up all those hits and walks. They are way more to blame than the fielder.

Bauer gave up 4 hits and 2 walks in less than 2 innings. He bears majority responsibility for the 4 runs scored under his watch, regardless of what the meaningless "earned" run stats say. Likewise, Clevinger was also terrible, giving up 2 hits and walk in less than 1 inning. And Klubber was 100% responsible for the game 5 loss. He gave up 2 walks, 3 hits, 2 homers, and 3 earned runs in his lousy 3.2 innings, which was all the Yanks needed to win against the Indians lousy, under-performing defense. Plus it was Klubber combined with Clevinger who in game 2 combined gave up 8 hits, 3 walks, 3 home runs, and 8 earned runs in a total of 3 innings. Even though the offense and stupidity by Girardi saved their asses, that lousy pitching exhausted the pen and forced a terrible short-rest outing by Bauer in game 4.

Bottom line is that without any errors, the Indians would have lost due to the stunningly bad pitching, for which Klubber deserves much of the blame even for game 4 where he didn't pitch.

I wonder to what extent this extends to 'pitching in the post-season'.

There seems to be a stark difference between regular season and post-season pitching. Guys that can't pitch in the post-season end up losing games for their team.

As a Tigers fan I always look at Scherzer as the archetypal post-season guy. It doesn't really matter the situation, he just turns it on and wins, whereas guys like Price break-down under the pressure.

There seems to be a stark difference between regular season and post-season pitching. Guys that can't pitch in the post-season end up losing games for their team.

As a Tigers fan I always look at Scherzer as the archetypal post-season guy. It doesn't really matter the situation, he just turns it on and wins, whereas guys like Price break-down under the pressure.

But the Indians pitching last post season was excellent, even after loosing Carrasco and Bauer, excellent. They had all the talent in place this year. Much of that talent had playoff experience. They should have cruised right through to the parade. They won something like 34 of their last 37 regular season games.

But the Indians pitching last post season was excellent, even after loosing Carrasco and Bauer, excellent. They had all the talent in place this year. Much of that talent had playoff experience. They should have cruised right through to the parade. They won something like 34 of their last 37 regular season games.

More of a curiosity than a declaration, I guess you're right.

As my dad would say, 'anything can happen in the playoffs'. Narratives abound, but when push comes to shove a couple inches difference in a swing can mean an entire series. Randomness abound.

sports.png

More of a curiosity than a declaration, I guess you're right.

As my dad would say, 'anything can happen in the playoffs'. Narratives abound, but when push comes to shove a couple inches difference in a swing can mean an entire series. Randomness abound.

sports.png

Agreed. I don't think there are any long term inferences to draw.
Kluber just didn't have his stuff for two games, which can happen. He did great last year. And Bauer's game 4 was below his median but his game 1 was above it. Mostly just poorly timed random variation in performance combined with the Yankees being a really dangerous team.

Speaking of randomness, that is mostly why Cubs won last night rather than the Nats. It will be interesting to see how they handle their exhausted pitching against the Dodgers in the first 2 games. I'll be impressed if they don't get swept.

On the disastrous passed ball, there was also a possible blown call on backswing interference. Granted, Wieters probably shouldn't have thrown the ball either.

Nationals believe umpires missed call that would have stopped the bleeding in fifth inning - The Washington Post

I haven't seen it but the keyword is 'grazed', there. Maybe they should have called it, but if it was only a graze it de facto wasn't interference.

Another one from my dad: 'if it's close enough to call a strike, it's close enough to hit'. In this case, if the interference had no noticeable impact, it wasn't really interference.

Maybe the umps technically should have called it, but it's hard to say they changed the outcome of the game.

The Yankees were outstanding last night and Judge blasted a three run homer. Some great baseball on show last night.

I'll be watching the Dodgers tonight. I wish I could go, I've never been to a playoff game.

Jebus! The Yankees are just crazy after Game Two. See if this momentum holds up for a best of seven.

There were some good games over the weekend, several critical plays at the plate. Altuve has to have one of the shortest running paths from 1st to home. I thought there was no way he should have been waved home, and the Yankee fielders looked like they thought that too.

On the controversial one with Culberson-Contreras play, I do like that rule because I always thought it was crazy that a runner would have to tackle the catcher like a linebacker to get by. Contreras just barely broke the rule, he nearly had him cleanly.

Young Carson Riley was nearly the next Bartman, but, to be fair, with Houston's outfield wall design, it looks like they are begging for some interference calls.

861366908.jpg

I like to think that if I was sitting near the wall, I would have such good game situational awareness I would never cross the plane of the wall, and I would knock out any opposing fielder who does cross the plane.

The guy who caught Turner's walkoff has caught several home runs before, he's retired and follows the team around and always sits in homer territory. Not as egregious as Zack Hample, but I don't know what to think about it.

Glad Roberts finally put in Ethier for a change instead of Granderson, who has been a dead spot in the lineup for too long, was wondering what he had on Roberts.

Favorite moment of last night's game was when with bases loaded, Edwards walked Darvish on four straight, with Darvish seeming to psych him out with bunt feints, and then right after Edwards strikes out Taylor on 3 straight. Least favorite was Stripling not getting an out.

Daring to be a hopeful Dodgers fan at least about this series.

Lastly, I know Puig is probably hard to take, even if you are a Dodgers fan, but remember, #PuigYourFriend.

Yasiel Puig‏Verified account @YasielPuig Oct 14
I still don’t know why my bats are so slippery
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
1f61d.png
1f607.png

DMJt5foU8AEu9VP.jpg

Keith Olbermann‏@KeithOlbermann
So effing tired of Yasiel Puig’s act - particularly his apparently terrible vision #DontBatFlipSinglesAndDoubles
6:55 PM - 14 Oct 2017

Yasiel Puig@YasielPuig Oct 14
Hey
@KeithOlbermann I flip on singles and doubles & not on homers. Come watch the show. Need a ticket? I got you #PuigYourFriendToo
1f643.png

ALCS teams are undefeated in their home stadiums in this series. I'm hoping the Yanks will break that trend, hopefully on Friday as it seems the Dodgers are making short work of the Cubs.

And Astros had best road record but couldn't do it. Yankees beat Cleveland on road in a decider already too. It's looking good for NY. (sorry for kiss of death)

Last night both Ethier and Granderson blew. Lots of opportunities with men on. All the Dodger old man bats were silent. It would have been great if Granderson hit it out right after the reversed third strike. There might have been a riot at Wrigley. But no, Cubs finally had things go according to plan. Though pitching Davis for 6 outs may hurt now. He threw more pitches than the previous outing that kept him out this long.

Tonight, Kershaw can exorcise his postseason demons by pitching well into the 7th.

If Kersh can't hold a 7 run lead, then he is for real cursed, and I'm going back to church.

Well there you have it, the Dodgers gave the Cubs a beating. When I saw Hernandez in the Dodger line up, I groaned. What do I know, the guy had the game of a lifetime !!

Hernandez turned into Reggie Jackson for a day.*

On the other side, tonight is Game 7! Don't care who wins, but hoping it goes 47 innings and every available player has to throw a couple of innings.

*Thank you juiced baseball!

ALCS teams are undefeated in their home stadiums in this series. I'm hoping the Yanks will break that trend, hopefully on Friday as it seems the Dodgers are making short work of the Cubs.

Well, something had to give. Either the home team (Houston) was going to lose, or CC's streak of 10 wins following Yankee loses would be broken. Unfortunately, CC broke first.

Now, typically I'd root for the AL team when I really don't otherwise care, and I may still do so, but the Dodgers look pretty tough. Should be a decent Series.

I just wish they'd start games at 7 est instead of 8. Unless it's the weekend 11:30 is far past my bed-time. Too bad because it's really hard to motivate myself to say up until near mid-night on a Wednesday. Always makes the next day unbearable.

An epic game last night. There is something up with the balls or something, home runs all over the place !

Back
Top Bottom