• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Morality in Bible stories that you don't understand

The smart thing to do would have been to eat from the tree of life and live forever.... the snake could have told them to do that. But then God prevented Adam and Eve from having access to the tree of life.... (the tree of life is also in Revelation 22)

You're right that the Letter to the Hebrews was written in a way to impress the Greeks, but I doubt the overall message was "hey Jewish Christians, we must impress the Greeks!". Jewish Christians were struggling at the time, so I believe the letter was intended to address an audience that needed some motivation.
Also true.

Apparently it's all a game designed by the Creator for the purpose of entertainment.

''Whatever the Lord pleases, He does, In heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deeps.'' Psalm 135:6

"The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.'' Proverbs 16:4

Apparently it's all a game designed by the Creator for the purpose of entertainment.

''Whatever the Lord pleases, He does, In heaven and in earth, in the seas and in all deeps.'' Psalm 135:6

"The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.'' Proverbs 16:4
Though normally games have an end.... but apparently God wants to be worshipped forever and ever - and if you don't want to worship him you get to suffer forever (in traditional Christianity) Though the main game part still has an end.

About God wanting to be worshipped forever and ever - I posted an image like this on Christian Forums and got in big trouble for mocking God....
07_image-34.jpg

About God wanting to be worshipped forever and ever - I posted an image like this on Christian Forums and got in big trouble for mocking God....
07_image-34.jpg
I was a mocker of God once. I used to visit the old David Icke forum religious section.. small world, you bringing him up lol.
(And now... I could mock (lightly) the mockers ;))

(I was also intrigued with the idea that all matter had its own unique frequency. Cymatics.. I was interested by Sir Guy Manners, who proposed healing with sound by doing decades of research and experiments. Icke had an interesting view on frequencies too, which perhaps, you were interested with his 'matrix' universe idea..)

I was a mocker of God once. I used to visit the old David Icke forum religious section.. small world, you bringing him up lol.

(I was also intrigued with the idea that all matter had its own unique frequency. Cymatics.. I was interested by Sir Guy Manners, who proposed healing with sound by doing decades of research and experiments. Icke had an interesting view on frequencies too, which perhaps, you were interested with his 'matrix' universe idea..)
I've never been a fan of the vibration idea. In a motivational/firewalking seminar I went to that was similar to Tony/Anthony Robbins the host said seeds know what they grow into because of "vibrations". The book I mentioned has heaps of interesting ideas (including that cartoon of sheep and a wolf) and illustrations - though I don't believe in most of them. Also the book has a photo of David Icke where he is completely nude.
(My view of a possible simulation is closer to the Roy Game in Rick and Morty and Alan Watts' dream thought experiment)
879x1200.jpg

Oldest Gods known...

The bible scriptures already know and mention there were many "old god's"; some under many names, which may vary depending on the geography and the language that's spoken there. Implying of course. they're not as old as the biblical God.

As the saying goes, It is written [already... that these god's are]:

Addar
Adrammelech
Amon
Anammelech
Anath
Artemis
Asherah
Ashtaroths
Ahtoreth
Baal
Baal-berith
Baal-peor
Baal-zebub
Baal-zephon
Bel
Berith
Chemosh
Dagon
Diana
Dike
Dioscuri
Dodo
El
El-berith
Gad
Hadad
Hermes
Jupiter
Kiyyun
Marduk
Mars
Melecheth-
hashamayim
Meni
Merodach
Milcom
Molech
Moloch
Nebo
Nehushtan
Nibhaz
Rephan
Reu
Rimmon
Sikkuth
Sinai-Sinite
Sinim-Sin
Sivan
Succoth-benoth
Tammuz
Tartak
Zeus
Zoheleth

I've never been a fan of the vibration idea. In a motivational/firewalking seminar I went to that was similar to Tony/Anthony Robbins the host said seeds know what they grow into because of "vibrations".
That's an interesting take...'plants know what they grow in because of vibrations..'. It's sounds a little like the description of "the law of physics", in the sense of ' direction for fixed rules, producing unique but predictable expected behaviours for every existing element.

Vibrations, also in the context thats similar to the vibrating strings in 'string theory'.

The book I mentioned has heaps of interesting ideas (including that cartoon of sheep and a wolf) and illustrations - though I don't believe in most of them. Also the book has a photo of David Icke where he is completely nude.
(My view of a possible simulation is closer to the Roy Game in Rick and Morty and Alan Watts' dream thought experiment)
D.Icke had the idea of different worlds beyond our senses - IIRC he was using a 'radio tuning to different stations' analogy. Basically humans existing on this plane can only receive and see certain frequencies, but a tuner/receiver could see beyond the scope of humans reception, just by turning the dial the tuner id able to pick up different existing planes. Each realm having it's own fundamental 'vibrating strings' so to speak.

That's an interesting take...'plants know what they grow in because of vibrations..'. It's sounds a little like the description of "the law of physics", in the sense of ' direction for fixed rules, producing unique but predictable expected behaviours for every existing element.

Vibrations, also in the context thats similar to the vibrating strings in 'string theory'.
I'm not sure if string theory is still as popular as it used to be. I think everything that isn't absolute zero vibrates due to "heat"....
D.Icke had the idea of different worlds beyond our senses - IIRC he was using a 'radio tuning to different stations' analogy. Basically humans existing on this plane can only receive and see certain frequencies, but a tuner/receiver could see beyond the scope of humans reception, just by turning the dial the tuner id able to pick up different existing planes. Each realm having it's own fundamental 'vibrating strings' so to speak.
I've never been a fan of that idea either. Perhaps it is a bit like the movie "They Live"
TheyLiveOBEY.jpg

One moral story I can't understand is Adam and Eve's. the moral of that story according to my wife's pastor are;

• The consequences of sin.
  • The importance of obedience to God.
What I can't wrap my mind around is if god said

“You may surely eat of every tree of the garden, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

God brought us into a world where knowing good and evil is most important to God. God deliberately kept that knowledge from us & then punished us for our God given ignorance. Moral of that story? God set us all up for failure.
Perhaps more worrying, that passage you quote is a clear-cut and unequivocal lie by God.

Is lying supposed to be the kind of behaviour we would expect from the perfectly good source of all morality?

A&E eat the fruit, and not only notably fail to die that day, but go on to live a long and sufficiently fecund life to establish the entire human species.

And a brief six thousand or so years later, humanity finally developed the fire extinguisher, a device God badly needed for use on his divine pants.
That is the issue with the BS baby face Yahweh the NT is selling.

Yahweh is a dick. He lies to man in The Garden. He explains why while deciding to kick man out post fruit incident. Good and Evil is meant to be all knowledge, not merely morality. This was too much for man and woman to have in his opinion, and if they ate from the Tree of Life they'd become like "they are", ie god-like. God doesn't want equal company, he wants to rule over something.

There are hints about the Garden being a bit more polytheistic in bits of the Tanakh down the road. The interesting thing to keep in mind is that serpent is kind of the hero in the story. He tells the truth, sets humans free intellectually. He is not banished from The Garden. Implying a lack of authority of God to do so.

The smart thing to do would have been to eat from the tree of life and live forever.... the snake could have told them to do that. But then God prevented Adam and Eve from having access to the tree of life.... (the tree of life is also in Revelation 22)
The Tree of Life kind of seems like an after the fact thing. It is awkwardly introduced well past the last second. Almost like a seven year old wrote the story.

God lied to man and the serpent sought it out and told them the truth.

07_image-34.jpg
The best mocking is only possible by knowing about the subject. So please, don't compare yourself with people that have studied the Tanakh seriously with you when you didn't give a darn about it.

I've studied the Tanakh and religion more as an atheist than most theists.

07_image-34.jpg
The best mocking is only possible by knowing about the subject. So please, don't compare yourself with people that have studied the Tanakh seriously with you when you didn't give a darn about it.
Pretty much highlights a lot of the atheists and agnostics back then on that forum - not knowing the subject very well; not giving a damn.
I've studied the Tanakh and religion more as an atheist than most theists.
I'm sure you have. "I would assume then by this notion, theists would have difficulty responding to your posts, and "refusing" to even debate with you".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom