• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mosaic Law

^The materialist approach to science is finished. All valid science henceforth develops on the basis of the soul.
Of course. We will get rid of jet engines and pas angers will levitate the plane.

Like Gandalf we will replace electric lights with a glwing ball on stick activated by casting a spell.

^The physical principles are understood. It is the activity of the soul that remains a mystery requiring urgent investigation.

^There is more, much more.

If we combine holism with panpsychism, we get cosmopsychism: the view that the Universe is conscious, and that the consciousness of humans and animals is derived not from the consciousness of fundamental particles, but from the consciousness of the Universe itself. This is the view I ultimately defend in Consciousness and Fundamental Reality.--Philip Goff / "Is the Universe a conscious mind?"
Do you know what the term "word salad" refers to?

This is a pretty clear cut example of it.
Tom

There is also the very well-known work of David Bohm, whose theories accord well with the work of Spinoza.

I used to have a copy of Bohm's book. It is available as a Dover reprint if you want to actually read it. You will need some math.

There is experimental demonstrated science like quntum and relatvistic mechanisms. There is no mystery to QM, it is routinely used to design integrated circuits and lasers. The processor in your computer

There is scientific philosophical speculation on what it may mean.

Speculation by a scientist does no t make it science.

QM proves nothing philosophically. QM is a set of equations experimental tested.

mosaic-icon-old-testament-prophet-moses-orthodox-church-243869531.jpg

^There is more, much more.

If we combine holism with panpsychism, we get cosmopsychism: the view that the Universe is conscious, and that the consciousness of humans and animals is derived not from the consciousness of fundamental particles, but from the consciousness of the Universe itself. This is the view I ultimately defend in Consciousness and Fundamental Reality.--Philip Goff / "Is the Universe a conscious mind?"

Water, rocks, planets, stars, etcetera, don't appear to be conscious. Consciousness appears to be specifically limited to a functioning brain.

^The essence of all things is soul. Soul thinks and acts through the mind and body, respectively. In its lowest state of organization, mind is implicit. Through evolution, the mind becomes more and more explicit, moving from the passive receptivity of the inorganic to the environmental reactivity of plant life to the conscious activity of the animal to the rational activity of man.

^The essence of all things is soul. Soul thinks and acts through the mind and body, respectively. In its lowest state of organization, mind is implicit. Through evolution, the mind becomes more and more explicit, moving from the passive receptivity of the inorganic to the environmental reactivity of plant life to the conscious activity of the animal to the rational activity of man.
And James Brwn was a prophet of soul. Are you familiar with the works of Bowm?

Soul? That's just a word. What is this 'soul stuff?' What are its properties? How does it relate to matter energy? How does it work?

^Thought is the ultimate substance of the whole of reality. Thought has infinite velocity. When its velocity is reduced, it becomes light, and with further reduction it becomes matter. Thought takes form as ideas and ideas manifest themselves as realities consisting of mind and matter. The soul is the idea that constitutes the essence of a reality. The soul is a living, thinking and acting idea. The soul uses the mind and the body to think and act, respectively. The soul’s self-expression is staged: from pure passivity to sense perception and understanding, then to intuition and reason, and finally to full development as intellect.

^Thought is the ultimate substance of the whole of reality. Thought has infinite velocity. When its velocity is reduced, it becomes light, and with further reduction it becomes matter. Thought takes form as ideas and ideas manifest themselves as realities consisting of mind and matter. The soul is the idea that constitutes the essence of a reality. The soul is a living, thinking and acting idea. The soul uses the mind and the body to think and act, respectively. The soul’s self-expression is staged: from pure passivity to sense perception and understanding, then to intuition and reason, and finally to full development as intellect.
My thoughts tell me your thoughts are wrong.

Thought is a form of brain activity, where the brain responds to events in the external world (or how the body feels) by generating thoughts about them. Always after the event and related to it.

^I quoted a physicist earlier. Here is the passage that precedes my quotation:

Take the living human brain endowed with mind and thought. Thought is one of the indispensable facts of the world. I know that I think, with a certainty which I cannot attribute to any of my physical knowledge of the world. Here then is a world fact to be investigated. The physicist brings his tools and commences systematic exploration. All that he discovers is a collection of atoms and electrons and fields of force arranged in space and time. But none of these is identical with thought. How can this collection of ordinary atoms be a thinking machine? But what knowledge have we of the nature of atoms which renders it at all incongruous that they should constitute a thinking object? Why not then attach it to thought? It seems rather silly to prefer to attach it to a so-called concrete nature inconsistent with thought, and then to wonder where the thought comes from. To put the conclusion crudely -- the stuff of the world is mind-stuff.

The hard-hat empiricists have not come to terms with the fact that physics itself clearly demonstrates that matter, energy and thought constitute a continuum. Science has been taken from them. Their historic function has come to an end. A new science, a science of the soul, is aborning, and this will serve as the foundation for all future science. In this science, the brain and its activity are the instrument of the soul, its interface with the body and its environment.

Take the living human brain endowed with mind and thought. Thought is one of the indispensable facts of the world. I know that I think, with a certainty which I cannot attribute to any of my physical knowledge of the world. Here then is a world fact to be investigated. The physicist brings his tools and commences systematic exploration. All that he discovers is a collection of atoms and electrons and fields of force arranged in space and time. But none of these is identical with thought. How can this collection of ordinary atoms be a thinking machine? But what knowledge have we of the nature of atoms which renders it at all incongruous that they should constitute a thinking object? Why not then attach it to thought? It seems rather silly to prefer to attach it to a so-called concrete nature inconsistent with thought, and then to wonder where the thought comes from. To put the conclusion crudely -- the stuff of the world is mind-stuff.

The hard-hat empiricists have not come to terms with the fact that physics itself clearly demonstrates that matter, energy and thought constitute a continuum. Science has been taken from them. Their historic function has come to an end. A new science, a science of the soul, is aborning, and this will serve as the foundation for all future science. In this science, the brain and its activity are the instrument of the soul, its interface with the body and its environment.
Please read this slowly and think about it.

Because a scientist engages in metaphysics, mysticism, and philosophy does not make it true, or make it science.

Do you understand?

There is no evidence to support the notion that thought creates or forms the physical world, its objects or events.

We have a brain generated mental representation of the world, a world that we do not create with our thoughts.

Eddington puts the cart before the horse. Mind-stuff is just the stuff of the world, which does thinking, in the same way that it does any other macroscopic thing - as an emergent property of vast numbers of interactions.

You can similarly take your computer apart and find not one single particle of calculation. Yet computers perform calculations all the time. And the stuff of the world ain't calculation stuff. To get calculations you need a very specific and detailed pattern of matter; Your coffee cup can't do calculations any more than your CPU chip can hold hot coffee.

Brains think. Not matter; Brains. Matter formed into the specific and detailed pattern called a brain, thinks. If, and only if, its very complex pattern is able to change in very complex ways in accordance with a bunch of very specific feedback mechanisms. The failure of these mechanisms we call "brain death", and when that occurs, you will be doing no more thinking with that particular pattern of matter.

Less complex patterns of matter don't think at all.

Reactions: DBT
Back
Top Bottom