• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Multi-Billionaire Oprah Whines About Sexism & Income Inequality At DNC

On a minor, inconsequential note, Toni (not Tony) is using “laying” in that little descriptive thingy under his/her/their user name, when “lying” is wanted. ;)
Are you sure? Perhaps she is NOT fornicating while daydreaming of the UK....
The expression refers to not submitting to unpleasant sex, for the sake of England.
Then it should be LYING back. ;)
Meh. "Laying" is perfectly correct in many dialects of English. Even in England. That 'a' is routine amongst speakers in the North.

Prescriptivism in this matter seems more than a little strained, when coming from an American. ;)

Sorry, I’m just an American grammar Nazi because of the profession I was in. But language is always changing and it hardly matters much. I’ve read the Canterbury Tales both in medieval English and modern and they are really different.

The general rule is that “lay” is a transitive verb that takes a direct object, whereas “lie” in the sense of recline, is intransitive. But if you’re talking about “lay” in the slang sense of sex, it’s not quite clear, but even in that sense “lay” would seen to want a direct object: Today I will lay X, or be laid by x. But if one is being laid, the logic suggests, “I am lying back, being laid.”
Lots going on so I wasn’t clear: it was a reference to advice given married ladies with reference to their husbands’ sexual attentions. They were not expected to enjoy sex but to tolerate it without complaint. Thinking of England, I suppose was intended as a more noble direction to turn their minds. After all, England needed healthy babies.

I added it to my profile as something I was not willing to do: lay back and take it without complaint or fighting back. If I remember, during my very sleep deprived days when I averaged something like 5 hours of sleep a night.

But surely discussing any aspect of my profile or my posting style is quite boring? I think so anyway. Pretty certain we all agree that we are all a collection of pretty flawed people.

Sorry, being a grammar Nazi, I just brought it up on a whim. My only trivial point was that it should be, “not LYING back…” as opposed to “not LAYING back.” LAY is a transitive verb (LAYING is the gerund form). That means it must take a direct object: I will LAY the book on the table; I am LAYING the book on the table. “Book” is the direct object.

LIE, in the sense of recline, is an intransitive verb, and therefore takes no object: NOT lying back, thinking of England; lying being the gerund from of the verb.

That in itself isn’t too confusing, except when you start conjugating the respective verbs and discover that the past tense of LIE (to recline) is, well, LAY … Yesterday, I lay in bed all day. The past participle is LAIN (I have lain around a good deal lately). With LAY (to place something somewhere) it’s LAID and LAID, past tense and past participle identical. Good old English. :rolleyes:

As for LAY in the sexual sense, that too is a transitive verb and must take a direct object, i.e. the person you are laying.

Anyway, sorry for the interruption. Carry on. ;)

So then you’d get, “I am LYING on the couch, LAYING so and so …” Although with J.D Vance (J. Divans) it would be, “I am LAYING the couch (not laying ON the couch).”

About the above, there isn’t much to respond to, because it’s so silly. I’ll just say that anyone who thinks huge numbers of Trump supporters aren’t motivated by racism is living in an imaginary alternative reality.
I think the assumption of racism as the driving factor is errant... and mostly it shows an unwillingness to consider your political opponent as a fully realized human with complex views and competing values. It most demonstrates that you view "the other" as a one-dimensional caricature.

In short, it's the Illusion of Asymmetric Insight

I disagree, because as I say, tons of white people SAY THIS — it is not an assumption, it is an observation. See, for example, here. You think this idiot is some kind of rare outlier? But we have tons of other examples, observations and evidence of racism, so no, I am not failing to consider my political opponents as “fully realized humans.” I am observing what they say and do, and drawing the appropriate conclusions.
Yes, I think that idiot is a rare outlier.

I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist. My dad is black, I grew up in a mixed household, with a mixed sister. The black side of my family outnumbers the white side my orders of magnitude. I grew up as a military brat, surrounded by immense diversity. I attended schools where I, as the melanin deficient child, was the minority. Racism certainly does exist. But the vast majority of humans under about the age of 70 do not hold blatantly racist views. Furthermore, to assign racism as the single driving motivation for half the voting public is poor logic.

As I said, it demonstrates a lack of consideration of "the other" as being fully human. You view "them" as being single-dimensional caricatures whose only motivation is malice that you have imagined onto them. At the very most gracious interpretation, you fail to understand your opponent.

Get thee hence to some Sun Tzu: If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

I have never attributed racism as the sole motivating factor for those who vote for Trump or people like the idiot cited above. And no, I see plenty of evidence that this guy is NOT a rare outlier. When I grew up in white suburban Detroit I was saturated with racism against blacks, including in most of my own family, and it was exactly of a piece with how the guy cited above talks. Blacks were routinely characterized not just as the N-word, but with all sorts of Trump-style appellations such as “liver lips” and “jungle bunnies.” It was all over the place. This is reality, then and now. At least one of Trump’s own relatives has said he routinely uses the N-word in private and I’ve no doubt, none, that millions of his supporters do as well.
You know that things have changed since the 80s, right?

I think you and I are of similar age, I'm now 50, and IIRC you might be a wee bit older? I'm not sure, I suck at keeping track of random bits of intel about people whose faces I've never seen. Actually, I kind of suck at keeping track of things like that about people I routinely interact with IRL too, so it's clearly a me problem.

Anyway, that was not uncommon when I was a child in the 70s and 80s - but it was adults saying those things at the time. We who were children then didn't carry that forward. Most of my generation, as well as those that have come after me, pretty fully embraced racial equality and the ideals of MLK jr. Thus the bolded red bit in my post above ;)

There's a demographic shift happening right now that a whole, whole, whole lot of people are not taking into consideration: The largest voting block for this election is NOT baby boomers, it's gen x. And Gen X has extremely different motivations, mindsets, and views than Boomers. I keep seeing rhetoric from politicians and media, as well as assumptions from pollsters, that all assume that what has been true in the past about how different blocks vote will continue to be true in the future. I think that's a horrible assumption. The blather that Trump is spewing is the kind of talking points that resonated with conservative boomers. The stuff that Harris mouths are the things that resonated with liberal boomers. Neither of them have much of a fucking clue what's important to Gen X, and both of them are failing to adapt. This is further confounded by the fact that gen x is absolutely the least likely to engage in political polls. Right now, in my opinion, nobody has a clue what the fuck is going to happen in November, and any assumptions anyone makes about why anybody might vote for one part or the other is pretty much guaranteed to be wrong, because those assumptions are based on boomer behavior.

It's a shitshow now, it will continue to be a shitshow through November, it's going to be a bigger shitshow between November and January, and nobody's prognostications hold any water. If anyone manages to be within spitting distance of right, it will be through sheer luck.
All very interesting, but the reality is that Gen X doesn't seem to go to the polls in sufficiently large numbers to make a difference. Whether you realize it or not, real societal change either takes a revolution or a long time. In either case, right now, we are stuck in between those two situations. I agree that Trump and his MAGAtards are pretty close to the last gasp of the "I;m white , I'm scared but I'm right" vote. Jan. 6 was not some random event.

“Politically correct” became a kind of in-joke among American leftists – something you called a fellow leftist when you thought he or she was being self-righteous.
That was long after it became a thing amongst the right. I assume you read the article. Or did you just skim until you found something to support your explanation of the term's usage?
:consternation2: Where the heck are you getting that? According to the article it became a thing amongst the right in 1990, and an in-joke among American leftists around 1970.

The thing to keep in mind about in-jokes is that they're funny. If there hadn't been any of the hard-left claiming their own position was the politically correct one in the first place, then it wouldn't have been funny when the moderate-left mocked them.
You're going to have to point me to examples of the bolded because I can't think of any and it was not mentioned in the article.
I'm not clear on how I'm supposed to give you a link to a pre-internet oral conversation between two leftists that nobody felt the need to publish on a dead tree. I lived on a left-wing college campus in the early 80s and personally witnessed "politically correct" being an in-joke among American leftists. It sure sounded like they were mocking people who'd used it non-ironically; it did not come off as an obscure reference to Mao's Little Red Book.

But hey, if your standard of evidence is "If it isn't in the Guardian it must not be true", feel free to discount inference to best explanation. If you feel "politically correct" is a bad analogy for "reverse discrimination", please yourself -- goodness of analogies is in the eyes of the beholder. My point remains. You wrote:

This subject is being discussed here and in other threads because people with slightly lower scores (minorities) are being chosen over people with slightly higher scores (whites and Asians) and they say that is reverse discrimination. How you haven't seen that baffles me.​

The reason I haven't seen that is because it didn't happen. Nobody in this thread or any other recent IIDB thread said it was reverse discrimination. Regardless of how it was used fifty years ago, "reverse discrimination" appears to currently be a term leftists impute to non-leftists because they heard other leftists impute it to non-leftists.

The expression refers to not submitting to unpleasant sex, for the sake of England.
Then it should be LYING back. ;)
Meh. "Laying" is perfectly correct in many dialects of English. Even in England. That 'a' is routine amongst speakers in the North.

Prescriptivism in this matter seems more than a little strained, when coming from an American. ;)
What would you know? You guys don't speak English; you speak a bunch of weird-ass dialects like Posh*.

It's said if you wake up an Englishman out of a deep sleep, for a few seconds he'll talk just like a normal person, before he remembers...

(* Aren't you supposed to be speaking Strine by now?)

All this blathering is irrelevant because No. 1, in which you needlessly coin a new term, is false.

There’s no need for me to present an argument against obvious blather.

About the above, there isn’t much to respond to, because it’s so silly.
You seem to be under the impression that insulting an argument is sufficient to refute it.

I’ll just say that anyone who thinks huge numbers of Trump supporters aren’t motivated by racism is living in an imaginary alternative reality.
That doesn't conflict with what I said. Huge numbers of Bush and Obama and Clinton and Biden voters were motivated by racism too -- there are so many voters that it doesn't take huge percentages to add up to huge numbers. Doesn't change the fact that when Democrats nominate somebody popular and charismatic like Obama they win and when they nominate somebody unpopular and uncharismatic like Clinton they lose. Clinton had hardly anything to recommend her as presidential material but it didn't matter because half of America would vote for a dead fish as long as she wasn't Trump. Trump had hardly anything to recommend him as presidential material but it didn't matter because half of America would vote for a dead fish as long as he wasn't Clinton. People aren't as different from their opponents as partisans like to think they are.

What would you know? You guys don't speak English; you speak a bunch of weird-ass dialects like Posh*.

It's said if you wake up an Englishman out of a deep sleep, for a few seconds he'll talk just like a normal person, before he remembers...

(* Aren't you supposed to be speaking Strine by now?)
I am tri-lingual; I am fluent in Yorkshire, English, and Strine. :)

Back
Top Bottom