• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

My New Argument for a Nonphysical Consciousness

The 'ka' ending is a diminutive; 'vodka' is literally 'little water'.

Water with a knockout punch...perhaps not for 'True Russians' who drink the stuff like water.

It truly does virtually disappear when mixed with something of flavor. I could probably drink it straight. Lot easier than the Wild Turkey I got into 'round 2004-5.

Reminds me:

25 or 6 to 4, the Chicago song.

Sounded awfully mysterious, and for years I wracked my head about what it could possible mean (I was born in 1964, so that didn't help). I finally wound up at a link that finally laid it out. The person who wrote the song, a brilliant guitarist who's now deceased, Terry Kath, was apparently up into the wee hours, and the clock read 25 or 26 to 4:00 a.m. In other words: 25 or 26 minutes until 4:00 a.m.

Simple.

Umberto Eco has a great essay somewhere explaining that any number has some sort of "cosmic" or "mysterious" importance to someone somewhere. I'll try and find it. It has helped me to stay sane, and to avoid giving in to random coincidence as being necessarily something 'special'.

I will survive.

Reminds me:

25 or 6 to 4, the Chicago song.

Sounded awfully mysterious, and for years I wracked my head about what it could possible mean (I was born in 1964, so that didn't help). I finally wound up at a link that finally laid it out. The person who wrote the song, a brilliant guitarist who's now deceased, Terry Kath, was apparently up into the wee hours, and the clock read 25 or 26 to 4:00 a.m. In other words: 25 or 26 minutes until 4:00 a.m.

Simple.

Umberto Eco has a great essay somewhere explaining that any number has some sort of "cosmic" or "mysterious" importance to someone somewhere. I'll try and find it. It has helped me to stay sane, and to avoid giving in to random coincidence as being necessarily something 'special'.

I will survive.

Interesting number paradox

Isn't that related to the Russian word for 'water?' - Вода́ - 'vodka' being some sort of derivative?

The 'ka' ending is a diminutive; 'vodka' is literally 'little water'.
Perhaps some similarity here: In French, there is "eau de vie" (water of life) for any colorless brandy distilled from wine or fermented fruit juice (traditionally made by farmers and peasants for their own consumption, called "bouilleur de cru" (boiler of raw), or home distiller, an activity that you can now perform only if you have inherited it from your parents).
Few all left today, officially.
EB

Back
Top Bottom