• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Natural unexpected beauty

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
What an incredible image. "The Tapestry of Life" is a phrase that comes to mind.
If anyone has (or sees) similarly unexpected images of nature, here's a place for them...

"This isn’t a painting. It is the most detailed image of a human cell to date,
obtained by radiography, nuclear magnetic resonance and cryoelectron microscopy."

cellscan.jpg

Extra credit for anyone who can identify all the components of a cell shown. :)
Of particular interest to me: the golden volleyballs (Buckyballs?), the "resistor" on the upper right, and the purple invader on the left.

It's pretty difficult for me to believe this was an actual image of a cell. Rather I think this is a highly detailed artists' rendition of what is seen via whatever instrument is being used to provide the information underlying what was found and represented here.

It's pretty difficult for me to believe this was an actual image of a cell. Rather I think this is a highly detailed artists' rendition of what is seen via whatever instrument is being used to provide the information underlying what was found and represented here.
I think it would be fair to call it an "artist's rendition". But apparently the artistic part would be in the combining of several different images from different instruments (radiography, nuclear magnetic resonance and cryoelectron microscopy). I would guess that the coloring would also be a bit of 'artistic license' as none of those instruments yield images in color.

What an incredible image. "The Tapestry of Life" is a phrase that comes to mind.
If anyone has (or sees) similarly unexpected images of nature, here's a place for them...

"This isn’t a painting. It is the most detailed image of a human cell to date,
obtained by radiography, nuclear magnetic resonance and cryoelectron microscopy."

View attachment 32799

Extra credit for anyone who can identify all the components of a cell shown. :)
Of particular interest to me: the golden volleyballs (Buckyballs?), the "resistor" on the upper right, and the purple invader on the left.

Looks like a cell shaped flower garden photographed from above.

My favorite words from high school biology class was “endoplasmic reticulum “.

Yup, it's an art project, not an incidental natural image. Cool project, though. You can read more about the artist here; a zoomable and interactive version labeling the constituent images is also included at the link.

Yup, it's an art project, not an incidental natural image. Cool project, though. You can read more about the artist here; a zoomable and interactive version labeling the constituent images is also included at the link.

Good link, thanks.
The mindblowing part, it says the image is "dilute in its concentration relative to a real cell" :eek:

Yes, I am practically certain that, while not a painting, it's an artist's rendition.

"Hippocampus Brain Tissue", by Thomas Deerinck

2021-04-22_09-02-41.png

Hippocampus tissue. Light micrograph of a sagittal (side view) section through the hippocampus of the brain showing the nerve cells within it. The hippocampus is a structure of the limbic system of the brain. There is a hippocampus in each cerebral hemisphere, and they are thought to be responsible for spatial awareness and the formation of memories. Different structures have been stained different colours: the nuclei of cells are red, neurofilaments are blue and glial cells are green. Neurofilaments are proteins found in the axons (output processes) of nerve cells. Glial cells (neuroglia) are cells that support and nourish nerve cells.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/hippocampus-brain-tissue-thomas-deerinck-ncmir.html

"Hippocampus Brain Tissue", by Thomas Deerinck

View attachment 33070

Hippocampus tissue. Light micrograph of a sagittal (side view) section through the hippocampus of the brain showing the nerve cells within it. The hippocampus is a structure of the limbic system of the brain. There is a hippocampus in each cerebral hemisphere, and they are thought to be responsible for spatial awareness and the formation of memories. Different structures have been stained different colours: the nuclei of cells are red, neurofilaments are blue and glial cells are green. Neurofilaments are proteins found in the axons (output processes) of nerve cells. Glial cells (neuroglia) are cells that support and nourish nerve cells.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/hippocampus-brain-tissue-thomas-deerinck-ncmir.html

Odd that it looks just like a field of opium poppies, eh?

Back
Top Bottom