• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL 2022/2023

I watched their game on Sunday, and they reported that the team was saying he didn't hurt his head, it was his back, so that's why he came back in. And then yesterday postgame, McDaniel was so emphatic, like practically saying "I'll swear on anybody's life," that he would never put a player in who's at risk. This is so ugly. Such a promising start for Tua, the coach and the team. It made the Flores firing look good.

Players are saying the hit was clean, but I don't know, yeah it was a split second thing on how to get a guy to the ground, but it seemed a bit unnecessarily emphatically violent to me.

Let's see how my perfect record did this past weekend.
  • Dolphins lose after being poisoned by '72 Dolphins squad who decided to "nip this one early". (CORRECT, as The Fish lose to Bengels)
  • Colts inexplicably go 1-1-1-1. (CORRECT, if not for blown Ref call in 4th qtr)
  • Rams and 49'ers set record for more turnovers than TDs (CORRECT, likely)
  • Jets upset Steelers. (CORRECT)
It was a busy week for concussion protocol workers, who were notified that on Friday, that they should be sober and in attendance for Sunday, as their usual replacement of a very excited and willing to do anything groupie was "out the question for at least two weeks". Ten players were benched for concussion issues, which is roughly 10 more than usual. Having actual "doctors" might have contributed to this increase.

Patriots had their QB Brian Hoyer sent to the locker room after being smooshed by a linebacker in an illegal sack, that the refs didn't throw a flag on. This led to a rookie coming onto the field to play QB. Things went well enough but the Packers finally beat the team with the 4th string, 22 year old with zero professional snaps under his belt at the helm... with time expiring in OT.

The Detroit Lions do the Lions thing and lose a game where their QB had 4 TD passes.

Tom Brady threw for nearly 400 yards and 3 TDs, 0 Ints... and lost, but who cares. Tom Brady is the best QB to ever play the game!

Even after being poisoned by the '72 Dolphins, Tyrek Hill still managed to get over half the team's reception yardage (160 yards!). The Bengals opened the scoring and never were behind after that... except when they were.

The Cleveland Browns continue to suffer from injuries, including star defensive player Myles Garrett who was hit by a truck while trying to tend to help a score of baby deer in the middle of the highway. The Browns were in the game late until Brissett showed why he isn't the greatest starting QB.

Comfort in the NFL with the Patriots at 1-3 is unusually low due to both the Cowboys and Eagles having undefeated records... and the Giants are 3-1. :sick:

Week Five Predictions:

• More Steeler fans toss themselves from escalators as Bills win by 21 TDs.
  • Lions (1-3) v Pats (1-3)... something has to give. Probably Goff's achilles.
  • Third year QB finally hits his stride as Tampa beats Falcons.
  • New MNF viewership record as only 84.924 watch the Raiders play the Chiefs.

Denver lost because of the 2 goal line fumbles. Wilson will have a better season than Smith.

So far, Smith is looking better. I guess Denver had no money left over for any lineman.

Damn Patriots had GB, but let it get away. For once I rooted for them, and this is what I get. Feel sorry for their actual fans.

This has been a very interesting season so far, can't tell where it's going, NFC East is the power conference.

I would like to ban the term "double doink" from future broadcasts, or a limit of once per network per week.

Denver lost because of the 2 goal line fumbles. Wilson will have a better season than Smith.

So far, Smith is looking better. I guess Denver had no money left over for any lineman.

Damn Patriots had GB, but let it get away. For once I rooted for them, and this is what I get. Feel sorry for their actual fans.
9 Super Bowl appearances, 6 wins. We'll be (well, the ones that aren't idiots) fine. Super Bowl LI will comfort me even after the nuclear holocaust Putin brings down on us all.
This has been a very interesting season so far, can't tell where it's going, NFC East is the power conference.
NFL is rife with parity. Week to week, really no idea what will happen. You just know that 2/3's of games will go the way you expected, 1/3 won't.

Strangest thing was that I took the Patriots and the points and still won, after they were down to their #3 QB.

And I love “double doing”, especially now that they have microphones close to the goalposts. The sound makes me laugh every time, even when it’s my team’s kicker.

That was the best Rams tackle of the night, unfortunately.

Little beats this. Glen Wesley is cut by a high stick. Ref no call. People aren't happy. An idiot (with active arrest warrants on him) jumps over the glass. And what happens is NHL Folklore (that is actual truth). FF to 3:45 if you don't need the run up.

Let's check out the results of last weeks predictions.
  • More Steeler fans toss themselves from escalators as Bills win by 21 TDs (Alright, it wasn't exactly 21 TDs, but the spirit of the prediction was CORRECT).
  • Lions (1-3) v Pats (1-3)... something has to give. Probably Goff's achilles. (He only wishes! CORRECT!)
  • Third year QB finally hits his stride as Tampa beats Falcons. (CORRECT)
  • New MNF viewership record as only 84.924 watch the Raiders play the Chiefs. (Presumably correct)
This week was huge. The Dolphins prove the QB position is very important.

The Lions prove you can keep flipping tails and losing with 6 failed 4th down conversions (something that even I couldn't have predicted). The Lions managed to break one of the only offensive related records not held by Tom Brady (but was held by the Patriots). The suck, but getting better '95 Patriots went 0-5 on fourth down in a game. The best one in this game, however was the needless 4th and 9, which quickly looked like a bad idea that was going to cede the Patriots possession near mid-field from a sack... only to turn into a strip and return for a touchdown. About the only thing that was good for the Lion's yesterday was that one of their teammates didn't die on the field.

Dozens of Steelers fans threw themselves from buildings after their loss against the Bills.

In what has to be considered the biggest mistake in NFL history, the Packers accidentally played the NY Giants in London, England, which is like 3000 miles from East Rutherford, NJ and Green Bay, whatever state that city (?) is in. Packers suffered even more by being taken to England via parcel, which led to a very groggy and uncomfortable team, and lost as a result to the Giants who are inexplicably 4-1.

The Browns... lost... and are 2-3. Not scoring in the last quarter was likely a bad idea.

Jacksonville proved everyone wrong by showing you can score only 6 points after gaining over 400 yards.

Week 6 Predictions

• Every outcome will be an upset!
  • Desperate to play Deshaun Watson, Cleveland Brown organization shaves his head, has him get plastic surgery and puts him on field as Deshawn Wadson. NFL is suspicious, but too busy negotiating a trillion dollar deal for Sunday Ticket with Apple and Amazon to really care enough to do something. Wadson leads Browns to epic 42-13 lead into fourth quarter that Browns squander and lose 34-35 with a last second safety, via a botched knee down snap from mid-field. I know what you are thinking... how can that all happen... it isn't possible! But you heard it here first. So anyone else who predicts that will have to have copied me.
  • Steelers beat Bucs. A desperate Tom Brady resorts to fake tackling himself to draw a roughing the passer call... which works, but the kicker missed the last second field to lose by 20 instead of 17.
  • Cowboys (4-1) and Eagles (5-0) collapse universal wave function due to their records making no sense, and the entire universe ceases to exist.

People are having problems with teams going for the win.

The Chargers were on their 46 and had just under 2 yards to go. A buck and change left on the clock. Do you punt it and then let the prevent defense do its thing... and things get particularly dicey, or do you attempt to get the first down and with a conversion, definitely win the game?

Bill Belichick changed things with his economics look at risk verses gain. He effectively made the opponents 40 yard line a fourth and go for it zone. The risk of losing 20 yards in a touchback was much smaller than the gain of first down.

In this case, the Chargers are barely on their side of the field, needing just less than 2 yards to seal the victory. The question is, is requiring your offense to gain two yards really a bridge too far? Yes, the risk v benefit is a bit tighter. You are giving the ball up on your side of the field and the opposing team needs just a field goal to win. The Browns get 20 yards and you are sweating bullets. But if you convert, you win. The Lions went for it on 4th and 9, when it made absolutely no sense, and the Patriots, even when no longer a dynasty, didn't panic and turned it from a bad offensive call into a disastrous one.

But less than two yards, and conversion wins the game? It is definitely not a definite yes, we go for it decision. But in an NFL that leaks defensive yardage with 2 minutes left in the game... where last minute drives for points is almost a cliché, is it really that bad of a call to take your destiny into your own hands? Especially if you think you have the play for it.

I was yelling at Staley when he decided to go for it. Browns would only need a few yards to be in field goal range. I'd rather take my chances with Brissett at his 20 with no timeouts. Luckily the kicker was no Taylor Bertolet.

On the previous possession, it looked like Brissett had money on SD when he chose to pass it straight to a Charger, and then it looked like Staley was returning the favor with that decision.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Harbaugh for taking the points on fourth down at the 1.

And to the Rams for getting a touchdown.

I was yelling at Staley when he decided to go for it. Browns would only need a few yards to be in field goal range. I'd rather take my chances with Brissett at his 20 with no timeouts. Luckily the kicker was no Taylor Bertolet.

On the previous possession, it looked like Brissett had money on SD when he chose to pass it straight to a Charger, and then it looked like Staley was returning the favor with that decision.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Harbaugh for taking the points on fourth down at the 1.

And to the Rams for getting a touchdown.
Agreed. Going for it is Staley's mo. But I was yelling to kick it also! Glad that we won though.

Luckily the Browns didn't give the ball to Nick Chubbs. ?!

Stefanski isn't a good coach, so maybe Browns aren't winning in any scenario.

Agreed. Going for it is Staley's mo. But I was yelling to kick it also! Glad that we won though.

It seemed like he's been backing off of that though this year. But I looked it up and they're in the top 4 in the league for attempts, and even while converting less than 50%.

I was proud of him for kicking those three field goals when 4th and goal.

On that note, last night, the Chiefs scored a touchdown late and an extra point would have put them up by 8 but they went for two and didn't make it. 😂 Then the Raiders scored a touchdown, and they chose to go for two instead of a tie. And didn't make it. 😂 And that's the how the score ended. 😂 😂 😂

Maybe relatedly, things are getting chippy out there. There's been a lot more on the field verbal sparring between coaches and players this year it seems to me. Even Mahomes went at it with his OC.

It's also happening off the field. Injured Keenan Allen tweeted "WTF are we doing?" on Sunday.

Players and civilians are also getting into it. Earlier, Kyler Murray said a fan slapped him in the face.

Last night, Davante Adams,

Tense times out there.

Then there was that Buffalo coach who was trying to kill a spider I think.

Meanwhile, John Harbaugh, who thinks every 4th down is a free Powerball ticket, actually took the points on a 4th and 1/2 yard on the Bengals’ 2 yard line. And won by 2 points. Apparently, having one of his defensive players attempt to assault him on the sideline the previous week got his attention.

Elsewhere, the Steelers continued their streak of never having won a game that TJ Watt missed due to injury. Jared Goff remains Bill Belichick’s bitch. Baker Mayfield outlasted another coach. And the Broncos are spending the gross national product of Canada to build a time machine to stop their trade for Russell Wilson. Or to kill Hitler. Lots of internal debate on that.

Let's check the predictions.
  • Every outcome will be an upset! (Tampa Bay lost to Pittsburgh, NYJ over Green Bay... you know it! CORRECT!)
  • Desperate to play Deshaun Watson, Cleveland Brown organization shaves his head, has him get plastic surgery and puts him on field as Deshawn Wadson. NFL is suspicious, but too busy negotiating a trillion dollar deal for Sunday Ticket with Apple and Amazon to really care enough to do something. Wadson leads Browns to epic 42-13 lead into fourth quarter that Browns squander and lose 34-35 with a last second safety, via a botched knee down snap from mid-field. I know what you are thinking... how can that all happen... it isn't possible! But you heard it here first. So anyone else who predicts that will have to have copied me. (Okay... this might break the streak)
  • Steelers beat Bucs. A desperate Tom Brady resorts to fake tackling himself to draw a roughing the passer call... which works, but the kicker missed the last second field to lose by 20 instead of 17. (Tribusky finishes the ole switcheroo, and Steelers beat the Bucs... CORRECT!)
  • Cowboys (4-1) and Eagles (5-0) collapse universal wave function due to their records making no sense, and the entire universe ceases to exist. (I'm in the middle of an email conversation with PBS Space Time YouTube team... I'll get back to you.)

This week was a week of the weekiest weeks in a week. It had everything.

Upset city in the world of the parity saturated NFL. The Jets beat the Packers, Steelers held off the Buc.

Disappointment city... the shitty coaching in Cleveland continues to hold back a team that is underperforming. Even when Deshaun Watson comes back, he can't make up for shitty coaching. They lost handily to a second week starting first year rookie.

Eagles beat a team that proved turning over the ball three times in 10 plays (including going for it on fourth down... at their own 34 yard line... in the 2nd quarter) is detrimental to winning football games.

Let's look at the playoff picture. If the playoffs were to be played today, super computers would be crashing left and right trying to figure out the tie breakers.

What does the rest of the season look like? Well, firstly, lots of commercials. Too many commercials. Tampa is in an interesting place, with their third year starter not able to keep the team above .500 to this point. Green Bay has likewise been unimpressive, while the NFC East has three teams with better than 2-4 records! The AFC has two teams atop and a mob of teams fighting for the remaining 4, 5, 37 (?) playoffs spots. New England might have a QB controversy. Rookie Zappe has won the two games he started, and barely lost to the Packers in OT after coming off the bench. Of course, those wins came against Detroit and Cleveland, and there is a wise old Buddhist saying "Don't overestimate the significance of beating the Lions and/or Browns." Either way, Mac Jones has got to be sweating uneasily at the moment. Good news for Zappe, the Pats play no one of consequence for at least a couple weeks, so he can at least pad his stats. Speaking of fetid failures, the Browns might have made a good choice in trading Mayfield. Baker Mayfield might lead the Panthers in passing yard, the team is 1-5. The AFC North is wide open. Each team at 3-3 or 2-4. Wildcard spots are going to be hard to come by. There are other divisions, but I just don't care about them. Predictions for Week 7. Okay, I've missed one, and the question whether we are now in a superposition of existing and not existing in light for the Eagles and Cowboys records is to be determined later, so I need to be super on this week. So nothing crazy insane, like plastic surgery for Deshawn.

• Browns and Ravens fans throw themselves into the respective bodies of water they border after both of their teams drive them to madness in worst game ever played in the NFL
  • Tampa over Carolina. Final score, spread, over/under, everything but punts.
  • Jets prove they are the real deal and go 4-2* for the season (* wins over Browns don't count).
  • Colts improve record to 4-3-2-1... somehow.
  • Miami fans don VR helmets and watch a specially prepared version of Steelers game against Dolphins with Tua starting as QB and winning. Helps them feel better as Dolphins lose at home to Steelers.
  • 4 former black coaches get ready to be inundated with phone calls as teams pretend to be interested in hiring them as replacements for their shortly to be fired head coaches.

Back
Top Bottom