• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL 2023/2024

hurtinbuckaroo

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
laissez le bon temps rouler
2023: Aaron Rodgers, expected to be the savior of the NY Jets, didn’t make it through the first series of the first game before being injured.

It’s going to be another season of war by attrition.

Along with the Giants' drubbing, it was a 9/11 for NY football.

Turned out to be a compelling game anyway. Peyton and Eli were pretty good.

Rodgers down.jpg

The Patriots had a great bad game. If one is to lose, that wasn't a bad way to lose. Rough start, but Jones got things back together. The Pats defense looked pretty good. Eagles are actually a better team, so that they held in, even after spotting them 16 points is impressive.

Giants' investment in Jones looks about as bad today as it did before they signed him to such a lucrative contract.

Browns buried the Bengals... but Browns fans need to remember that Watson didn't play well and it is only Week One.

And The Jets beat Buffalo... without Aaron Rodgers. WTF?!

Parity appears to be here to stay.

It appears that Aaron Rodgers is going to be out for the season. The Jets just can't catch a break, that's a big blow but they did manage a narrow win in a poor game. I was really looking forward to seeing how Rodgers performed at the Jets.

Meanwhile Packers QB Jordan Love did pretty well in his first start. This guy could develop into a great QB it will be interesting to see how he does.

The Patriots had a great bad game. If one is to lose, that wasn't a bad way to lose. Rough start, but Jones got things back together. The Pats defense looked pretty good. Eagles are actually a better team, so that they held in, even after spotting them 16 points is impressive.

Giants' investment in Jones looks about as bad today as it did before they signed him to such a lucrative contract.

Browns buried the Bengals... but Browns fans need to remember that Watson didn't play well and it is only Week One.

And The Jets beat Buffalo... without Aaron Rodgers. WTF?!

Parity appears to be here to stay.
When your "top 3 QB" has four turnovers, and his leading receiver is a Jets defensive back, this is what happens. If Lamar had a game as bad as that, the media would crucify him. But Josh gets a pass because ... why? He leads the NFL in turnovers over the past five seasons plus 1 game this year. If Rodgers hadn't gone down, the Bills might only be third best in their division.

Rodgers had a calf injury in camp, then blows his Achilles. Burrow is dealing with a pretty significant calf issue; interesting how all of a sudden his long-term contract got signed just before the first game. He's a ticking time bomb.

As a reminder, Brett Favre is a Hall of Fame QB who loved to gift possession to the opponents, often is forehead smacking fashion. Brady played 32 more games and threw 124 fewer INTs than Favre. Manning played about 35 fewer games than Favre, and threw 85 fewer INTs.

So, turning over the ball and still being a HoF QB is possible. Allen almost got to the Super Bowl, so we know he can play well.

Lamar Jackson is a bum because he plays in Baltimore. So he deserves the derision. :D

Go Pats!

I'm just surprised the Lions won. Looks like they finally have a ground game.

49ers offensive tackle Trent Williams, saying the opponent sucked without saying the opponent sucked:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...needed-a-break

...The 320-pound Williams told the San Francisco Chronicle after the game that he was getting so exhausted from the 49ers’ offense having such long drives and the 49ers’ defense getting off the field so quickly that he was actually kind of hoping the Steelers’ offense might finally do something.

“At one point,” Williams said, “you just kind of wanted [the Steelers] to get a first down. There were all those three-and-outs and we kind of needed a break.”

It’s the usual early season mayhem. Giants get embarrassed 40-0 on national television, then fall behind 20-0 to the Cardinals, who forgot they’re supposed to be tanking. Cards wake up just in time to lose 31-28. Patriots are 0-2, and Belichick is probably putting out a contract on the refs. Bengals are 0-2, again, but it probably won’t matter, again. Chargers are 0-2; yeah, it matters; look up “un-clutch” in the dictionary, and you’ll see their logo. Niners defense would have given France a chance against the Nazis. Browns won their Super Bowl in week 1, so they can fall apart now. Aaron Rodgers promises to make a quick recovery from his Achilles tear, as soon as Amazon delivers the ivermectin and UV light.

Business as usual.

Denver loses their first two games on conversions. First series of the first game, they missed the extra point. As soon as I saw that I said out loud “kiss of death, game over, Denver loses by one “ - and they did. Last play of the last series in the second game, needing 2 to tie (after leading 21-3), they come up short.
Looks like yet another year of hapless Donkeys putting on 17 clinics on how to waste talent and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Niners defense would have given France a chance against the Nazis.
I'll put in a word for the Cowboys' defense, who have given up a total of 10 points so far this season. I look forward to their game with the Niners in three weeks. Should be something.

I had little doubt that my Cards would lose, even up by 21 in the third quarter. Giants aren't as bad as that 40 -0 blowout seemed to indicate.

Incredible stuff. Only complaint with the Patriots offense is them telling Jones to throw it deep. It doesn't seem to be his thing. Let's keep it under 30 yards. Novel to see Patriots committing those penalties that winning teams don't commit. Also, what in the heck is with the Boo-birds in New England? 6 bloody Super Bowls (as in wins... not appearances, that'd be 9!), chill the heck out, will ya?! The Patriots look the best an 0-2 team can look.

The Browns? Well, the Watson signing was insane even if they made the Super Bowl this year. His movement in the pocket isn't very crisp. He can run, when there is no one near him, but he isn't exactly flashing incredible brilliance. He doesn't look like he isn't trying though. The football gods also asked from a bit of flesh by taking Chubbs out. That is going to hurt a lot. Browns defense made only a few mistakes, and their offense did okay, but somehow managed to lose a game in the fourth quarter, which they were leading in, and the defense didn't give up the points to lose. Browns are always finding new ways to lose. Neither team really deserved to win. Good defense on both sides of the ball, or maybe really bad offense?

First time I’ve ever picked a team that beat the spread by more than 40 points. What’s in the Miami water?

Felt good after Pats first two losses. Felt less good with their win. The defenses were gassed it seems. And it was wet out there. But the Patriots didn't manage a single red zone appearance the entire game.

Broncos tie for all time most points scored against any team in an NFL game.
Er ... appropriately, tied for SECOND. They got tired of losing by a conversion, so they went ahead and lost by HALF A HUNDRED.
They can't do anything right.

In better news, my pre-season pick (49ers) is off and running, and I expect them to win the NFC at the very least.

Not often you can throw for over 300 yards and lose by 50.

Even less often you can go 23 for 26, for 309 yards and 4 TDs... and have your QB rating bettered by the backup!

I guess the Broncos didn't want the Buffalos to feel bad.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Sunday evening's Cowboys - Niners game. The status of the Cowboys' offensive line could be an issue though.

Back
Top Bottom