• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

NFL

It was disappointing that Kansas couldn’t make it a closer game. Mahomes did a lot of running around but just couldn’t find an opening in that really good Tampa defense. But what an achievement for Tom Brady.

Buc's D-line were the main cause of the Buc's win, but the terrible one-sided reffing in the first half contributed to it being a boring blowout. And wasn't just that they called a tight game, b/c they failed to call clear defensive PI by the Bucs in the endzone. I know complaints about the refs are always made, but the fact is that it basically doubled the points spread. Even Romo and multiple half time analysts commented on it.

Yeah, there was a bit of that going on.

Fuckin' Brady! Boooooooooooooo!!! Hissssssss! Boooooooooooooo!

I swear, if he decides to try and take the hapless Jets to the Silly Bowl for the second time in 50 plus years, I shall still want him to lose. I would want the Brady-Jets to go 0 - 16.

Booooooooooh! Retire already, thou silly excelsior! From hell's heart, I stay at thee!!!!!!!!!!!!12!!!!!! (Holy crap what was that?)

Several good games so far, especially the prime time ones. But most importantly, the Rams are undefeated after 3 weeks and if they continue this trend, they will win the Super Bowl playing at home going for a perfect season. They just dispatched the reigning champs quite handily. Stafford is clearly an upgrade from Goff. The team is much improved overall, except for their defense which is not yet up to last year's standard.

Their opponent in the SB could also be playing at home, sort of. The Chargers just beat the SB runner up, outplaying the Chiefs in the final minutes. They did try to give the game away with some badly timed penalties, but KC made even worse mistakes. Chargers have for years had issues closing out games that looked like imminent victories. In week 1 against Washington they seemed to vanquish those demons by coming from behind in the last quarter and uncharacteristically holding the lead with a 7 minute drive to end the game. Alas, the next week, it was back to the old Chargers, losing on the last play at "home." Scare quotes because it has never really been home for them in LA. Nobody was really asking for them to go there, and SD fans feel betrayed that they moved to the hated LA rival sports town, so they haven't been eager to make the 3 hour drive. It's been a raw deal for the players, who have had to deal with hostile games at home. Their Dallas game may have had more Cowboys fans, and next week's MNF game likely will be in front of a stadium attendance of 80% or more Raiders fans. Too bad, that KC game was a historically huge win for them, they have a team on the rise, with a promising young coach they sniped from the Rams.

Goff has sadly not exceeded expectations for the Lions, still has the fumbleitis, still in search of a deep passing game, but I'll give him this, that he did get robbed out of a victory last week against the Ravens.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/WorldofIsaac/status/1442221194208555016[/TWEET]

Credit to Tucker for the subsequent 66 yard field goal kick bouncing in off the cross bar to beat them, but so oof for Detroit.

Since the thread has been bumped -

Will someone do the @WAB mention thingy (must add a semi-colon after the name, in case someone isn't aware - I wasn't and tried it many times the wrong way before someone told me how to do it) IF the hapless Jets happen to win a game?

I just checked the standings, and I see they are 0 - 3. No surprise. I would be shocked to see anything different.

I predict (dons prophet hat) that the team will either disappear or transmute into a different team of some kind, or perhaps be taken up in another geographical area, like the Raiders in Vegas - who are winning! :angry:

I don't know if I have the heart to keep checking the standings. I am going to try and resist.

I wonder if Joe Namath is still supporting them avidly? I will check. I will support them in spirit, until for hate's sake I spit my last breath at them.

yay jets...ra ra ra... [...and the peasants rejoiced.]

Several good games so far, especially the prime time ones. But most importantly, the Rams are undefeated after 3 weeks and if they continue this trend, they will win the Super Bowl playing at home going for a perfect season. They just dispatched the reigning champs quite handily. Stafford is clearly an upgrade from Goff. The team is much improved overall, except for their defense which is not yet up to last year's standard.

Their opponent in the SB could also be playing at home, sort of. The Chargers just beat the SB runner up, outplaying the Chiefs in the final minutes. They did try to give the game away with some badly timed penalties, but KC made even worse mistakes. Chargers have for years had issues closing out games that looked like imminent victories. In week 1 against Washington they seemed to vanquish those demons by coming from behind in the last quarter and uncharacteristically holding the lead with a 7 minute drive to end the game. Alas, the next week, it was back to the old Chargers, losing on the last play at "home." Scare quotes because it has never really been home for them in LA. Nobody was really asking for them to go there, and SD fans feel betrayed that they moved to the hated LA rival sports town, so they haven't been eager to make the 3 hour drive. It's been a raw deal for the players, who have had to deal with hostile games at home. Their Dallas game may have had more Cowboys fans, and next week's MNF game likely will be in front of a stadium attendance of 80% or more Raiders fans. Too bad, that KC game was a historically huge win for them, they have a team on the rise, with a promising young coach they sniped from the Rams.

Goff has sadly not exceeded expectations for the Lions, still has the fumbleitis, still in search of a deep passing game, but I'll give him this, that he did get robbed out of a victory last week against the Ravens.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/WorldofIsaac/status/1442221194208555016[/TWEET]

Credit to Tucker for the subsequent 66 yard field goal kick bouncing in off the cross bar to beat them, but so oof for Detroit.

If you’re referring to the TV play clock running out on the previous play, that’s not the official clock. No one on the field (officials, coaches, players) seemed to think the on-field clock had run out, and so far there’s no visual evidence or statement from the league, so it’s very possible that whoever manually syncs the TV clock did a poor job. If the official actually missed a delay of that length, the league has to say something.

Interesting book for Kraft coming out. Says Brady/himself wanted to replace Belichick with someone else. Says Kraft thinks Belichick is an asshole. Brady wanted larger role in team, to play until 45.

It'll be interesting once the dust settles on what was going on in New England. Honestly, with 6 Super Bowls in 9 appearances, I have a hard time putting much grief at the feet of Belichick. The guy might be an asshole, but he is the best coach ever. Those first three Super Bowls rarely involved the "top team" of the AFC. And if you think about the lineup that beat the Rams... can't name anyone that was remotely HoF territory except Brady on offense. Personally, I'm more wondering about Josh McDaniels who gave up a head coaching spot (generally former Pat coordinators don't head coach too well) to stay in New England, and I haven't seen a reason that he has benefited from it.

If you’re referring to the TV play clock running out on the previous play, that’s not the official clock. No one on the field (officials, coaches, players) seemed to think the on-field clock had run out, and so far there’s no visual evidence or statement from the league, so it’s very possible that whoever manually syncs the TV clock did a poor job. If the official actually missed a delay of that length, the league has to say something.

Maybe that's it, but the game announcers didn't seem to think that was the explanation. Dungy later that night on his NBC show talked about it as a bad call and also said the clocks are in sync.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TonyDungy/status/1442457513027330048?s=20[/TWEET]

Maybe he's misinformed, but these rules experts said it was a definite delay.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFbjsAYJqKY[/YOUTUBE]

There is the issue they talked about that the official making the call will be watching the clock to see it hit zero and then looks over to see if it's been snapped, which will take a split second. That would explain why I see it hit zero all the time for a definite beat without a call, though never for this long.

Anyway, a bit of trivia. The Lions were also the opponent in Dempsey's 63 yard game winner a half century ago.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjqiq4S9bqA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2X0-jmh21A[/YOUTUBE]

I acknowledge that Dungy has an excellent grasp of the rules as they pertain to strategy and other details that a head coach should know. However, I stop short at calling him an expert. He probably doesn't fully know the following rule, which I believe is the key to the whole mystery:

ARTICLE 2. 25-SECOND PLAY CLOCK. In the event of certain administrative stoppages or other delays, a team will have 25
seconds, beginning with the Referee’s whistle, to put the ball in play next by a snap or a kick. Such stoppages include, but are
not limited to
:
(a) a change of possession;
(b) a charged team timeout;
(c) the two-minute warning;
(d) the expiration of a period;
(e) a penalty enforcement;
(f) a Try; or
(g) a Free Kick.
A 25-second interval will be used in these situations, even if the 40-second clock is already counting down.

I've been trying to find out for two days why an official walked into the Ravens' huddle with 18 seconds on the play clock to talk to Lamar Jackson, and left at the 15-second mark, but in any event, interrupting a team's attempt to call the next play would certainly qualify as an "administrative stoppage", and should result in the play clock being reset to 25 seconds.

I will admit:

1) I don't know if the on-field play clock is synced to the TV play clock (the head official at the game also did not know, per his statements after the game, and I'm not taking Dungy's word for it)

2) I don't know if the on-field play clock was reset; I don't even know where they're located

3) I don't know why the NFL hasn't issued a statement about this event already, even if it's just to say "we effed up, sorry about that", which they do frequently.

But I do know that the official wasn't where he was supposed to be, and interfered with the process.

Anyway. If you're into trivia, here are a few more nuggets:

1) The score of the game where Dempsey kicked his FG was 19-17, the same score as the Ravens game.

2) Matt Prater, who had held the record at 64 yards, attempted a 68-yarder about 2 hours before Tucker's kick.

3) Prater's attempt came up short, and was fielded and returned for a 109-yard touchdown, which is ... a new NFL record, and one that will never be broken.

4) Tucker's previous career long was 61 yards, which won a game against, naturally, the Detroit Lions.

I didn't say Dungy was an expert, but Blandino and Pereira are. Yes, the NFL should say something to clarify.

I did see the 109 yarder. That guy Agnew is good, had a 102 yard one the week before, has 7 career return TDs and is just in his 5th year.

The Broncos are 3-0. But the three teams they have beaten don't have a single win between them.

Today they get the 2-1 Ravens so we shall see if they're anything like for real.
Teddy Bridgewater has been really surprising to me; he seems to be a great fit and a really good leader, making quick decisions and protecting the ball... and the defense is statistically the best in the league at this point. Von Miller looks to have returned to his old form.
I'm optimistic that they are the best Broncos team since Peyton Manning played for them, despite a lot of early injuries.

The Broncos are 3-0. But the three teams they have beaten don't have a single win between them.

Today they get the 2-1 Ravens so we shall see if they're anything like for real.
Teddy Bridgewater has been really surprising to me; he seems to be a great fit and a really good leader, making quick decisions and protecting the ball... and the defense is statistically the best in the league at this point. Von Miller looks to have returned to his old form.
I'm optimistic that they are the best Broncos team since Peyton Manning played for them, despite a lot of early injuries.

Ravens have added a few more injured players to their league-leading total, this time more guys in the secondary. But the Broncos’ top two receivers are out, and the Ravens get their defensive line back from COVID quarantine. Should be interesting.

But maybe not as interesting as Brady vs. Belichick tonight. The soap opera continues.

Belichick v Brady?

Always has to be a battle. The Patriots were in nine Super Bowls because of Brady and Belichick. Both are New England legends forever.

For WAB - hey, your Jets won in overtime!

And, although I know it's still early, I have to ask
How 'Bout Them Cowboys??

Are they really that good?

NFC North, three teams at 3-1... and Pittsburgh is 1-3.

Patriots defense of old tonight. Giving up yards and clock... but only giving up mostly field goals. Bucs are leading, but it is within reach.

Meanwhile, Buffalo 3-1, given up 44 points.

Patriots defense of old tonight. Giving up yards and clock... but only giving up mostly field goals. Bucs are leading, but it is within reach.

AFC North.

Is it my imagination, or are a lot of the Patriots’ defensive players really small?

AFC North.
NFC North. The NFL just resorted all the teams to help me save face.

Is it my imagination, or are a lot of the Patriots’ defensive players really small?
I noticed a few defensive players on both teams rushing that looked more like Safeties, but played like linebackers.

Pats game ended up quite entertaining. All I need really... that and beating the Jets. Field goal hit the posts, but the Pats benefited from a couple surplus bad calls on that drive, so it all balances.

Good news for the Rams, they get to start a new winning streak next game. Bad news is, mfing Arizona and Murray are very good.

Good news for the Rams, they get to start a new winning streak next game. Bad news is, mfing Arizona and Murray are very good.
Can someone explain how the Cardinals are so good? It just seemed to sneak up on me.

Can someone explain how the Cardinals are so good? It just seemed to sneak up on me.

A mobile QB who throws well, and other offensive weapons got them started. This year, their defense has apparently improved.

Man, after that awesome Patriots victory over the Texans, I'd say they are only $160 million more in off-season spending from competing with the Bills.

Detroit Lion fans already saying "Maybe next decade." Franchise hasn't won a playoff game in nearing 70 years!

Cleveland Browns looked awesome until the last two drives and they couldn't make anything happen. A complete failure in coaching in my estimation.

Jimmy Higgins Open Letter to the NFL

Dear NFL Franchises,

I just wanted to make an observation that almost any team's offense can do in 60 seconds as they can in two or so minutes. But what the opponent's offense can't do is score when you have the ball. So maybe... instead of trying to bleed 90 seconds off the clock, you try to, I don't know, keep possession of the ball.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Higgins

Back
Top Bottom