• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Not to be a bummer but ...

Are others in here as f***ed up as I?

Yes and no.
Yes - lots of folks have struggles (crosses to bear)
No - that's not effed up. That's life. :rub:

Your post about hospital really made me think. In one way I was sad for you but then happy that you found a safe respite. Please post more updates if you can. :)

In the bible story of the Good Samaritan, the beaten and robbed man is allegorically likened to humankind. And the dangerous Road to Jericho is likened to the 'road' we call life. The beaten, robbed man gets taken to an Inn and has his wounds bandaged, which early church fathers saw as likening the Inn to a hospital.

...no doubt you can imagine the suggested allegorical significance of the man having his hospital bills paid by the Good Samaritan.

You're using someone else's moment of suffering and confession of weakness to proselytize? That's messed up.

I honestly can't understand the thought process that would lead someone to conclude that this is a decent thing to do.

You're using this thread to attack me?
Is that all you got?

I hope you continue to feel better, ryan. You are lucky to have found an antidepressant that works so well for you. They don't work for a lot of people who suffer from depression. There is nothing wrong with depending on drugs to make you healthier. I don't understand why so many people refuse to take medications. Sometimes people are over medicated but meds for depression, anxiety, hypertension, seizure disorders, heart failure, diabetes etc. are often life savers. Mental illnesses are diseases of the brain and I hate that there is still a stigma attached to them by people who simply don't understand that.

I, on the other hand despise hospitals, but most of that is based on my horrible experiences while hospitalized. That and the food, the routine, the incompetent doctors etc.

I think psych hospitals are probably more pleasant than medical hospitals. It's a totally different atmosphere and I can see why you would feel safe in such a place. I have several family members who suffered or suffer from mental illnesses, but only one close family member who was ever hospitalized. She was just a teenager and she seemed to have a lot of fun in that particular hospital. Now that she's in her 60s, she seems to be doing much better.

Hopefully, you will find some positive things to help you deal with your illness now that you are home.

I think psych hospitals are probably more pleasant than medical hospitals. It's a totally different atmosphere and I can see why you would feel safe in such a place. I have several family members who suffered or suffer from mental illnesses, but only one close family member who was ever hospitalized. She was just a teenager and she seemed to have a lot of fun in that particular hospital.

Just an unrelated anecdote, but during my stay in a psych ward (I was getting ECT) I made friends with some of the female nurses. They were friendly, fun and non-judgemental. To be precise, they were student nurses doing a psych ward placement, which is slightly different from full-time psych nurses. Sometimes one hears stories about those in certain not-so-caring establishments (though all the staff in the one I was in were good as I'm guessing is usually the case). Anyhows, long story short, after I got out I asked one of the student nurses out, dated her for 4 years and got half close to proposing marriage. But things didn't work out. It's a long story. We both found somebody else in the end.

Are others in here as f***ed up as I?

Yes and no.
Yes - lots of folks have struggles (crosses to bear)
No - that's not effed up. That's life. :rub:

Your post about hospital really made me think. In one way I was sad for you but then happy that you found a safe respite. Please post more updates if you can. :)

In the bible story of the Good Samaritan, the beaten and robbed man is allegorically likened to humankind. And the dangerous Road to Jericho is likened to the 'road' we call life. The beaten, robbed man gets taken to an Inn and has his wounds bandaged, which early church fathers saw as likening the Inn to a hospital.

...no doubt you can imagine the suggested allegorical significance of the man having his hospital bills paid by the Good Samaritan.

You're using someone else's moment of suffering and confession of weakness to proselytize? That's messed up.

I honestly can't understand the thought process that would lead someone to conclude that this is a decent thing to do.

As someone who has, in the past, had a go at Lion once or twice.......I thought his post in this case was 100% fine and dandy, and kind. And received as such by ryan.

But I also understand that you could not stop yourself from having a small dig. :)

My dad had to have coronary bypass surgery a few years before he died. His doctor told him flat out that he *would* die without it; but he still came very close to refusing it, simply because he hated the idea of staying in the hospital so much. Finally my brother convinced him to do it for the sake of my mom. He'd keep his doctor's appointments without more than grumbling, but the idea of spending the night anywhere but in his own house and bed was total anathema to him. Funny how different reactions to hospitalization are.
That's so true. Much of what we do is painful but endured for a greater good.

I've been hospitalized quite bit in life, and at one it nearly lead me to losing my living space/apartment, and it definitely lead to me to having to sell my car, and most of belongings to pay the bills.

I also hate being told to fake feeling better until it happens, to take this pill we don't think will help but its all we have right now for your new condition, and by the way since you now have no insurance because you had to leave work over long running conditions, here's a bill that's 20% higher than what we'd charge an insurance company even when your co-pay after that is like a hundred bucks so while it makes no sense t charge that especially when you're near homelessness we're gonna do it anyway.

Sorry but I hate hospitals. I also know more than most nurses and doctors thanks to working for hospitals and doctor's office's and paying so much attention I absorbed most of how, what, when, why as they did their jobs and most of them began to resent me, not sure why since it's not like I could do anything with that knowledge except understand when I was either being lie to about what my insurance would cover, or treated unfairly because I had no insurance and so they weren't gonna get a big payout, an yeah.

I hate hospitals. and doctors. and nurses. Especially when they tell you after being admitted offer being drugged unconscious and raped that this is a good lesson for not letting that happen when you obviously had no control over it since it was some type food drug that it had not changed the way my drink tastes, and oh yeah, he was my boyfriend art the time so I had no reason to think he'd bother since we regularly had sex, but it turns out after taking to him about it he wanted to try and see what it felt like to do.

The same nurse, after hearing that, said "whatever" shrugged and left the room.

I'm happy other people have great experiences, or boring ones, or turn them into funny stories, but I now have a living will simply because I'd rather die than be so-called "helped" at a hospital ever again.

Doctor's offices I can still do if I explain it the right way that I'm not gonna get fucked over while there and know my shit when it comes to diagnostics and treatment plans and efficacy and projected outcomes versus whet's actually going on during treatment so I now just about when they do when we're gonna switch shit up.

Ryan, if you have good experiences, keep that in mind for if you should, not that I'd wish it, ever have to go back. They're literally worth more than life itself.

I have yet to actually be admitted to the hospital since I was a little kid, although I was in the ER a couple of weeks ago due to a kidney stone. I must be odd because I didn't like the morphine they gave me.

The last time I spent a night in hospital it was in a Maternity Ward. In 1970.

I have yet to actually be admitted to the hospital since I was a little kid, although I was in the ER a couple of weeks ago due to a kidney stone. I must be odd because I didn't like the morphine they gave me.

The last time I spent a night in hospital it was in a Maternity Ward. In 1970.

So you're an oldster that's had a sex change? :)

Back
Top Bottom