• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Nutrition (Sugar/Fat/etc...)

There is nothing more sobering than hearing a surgeon telling you that you will lose your big toe, but they hope to save your foot. Cut the sugar, watch those carbs. As far as meats, avoid the fats. If I eat a salami sandwich, salamis has lots of fat, my blood sugar spikes quite high.

Actually, it is more likely the carbs/sugars in the bread (and/or the wheat) that is causing the blood sugar spikes, not the high fat.

ETA: A link within one of the links from PyramidHead addresses cancer and the ketogenic diet. FYI for anyone interested.

And here’s a Keto Diet For Beginners site.

So many of these "studies" treat all carbs as carbs, making no distinction between black beans and processed sugar. It's very irritating.

There is nothing more sobering than hearing a surgeon telling you that you will lose your big toe, but they hope to save your foot. Cut the sugar, watch those carbs. As far as meats, avoid the fats. If I eat a salami sandwich, salamis has lots of fat, my blood sugar spikes quite high.

Actually, it is more likely the carbs/sugars in the bread (and/or the wheat) that is causing the blood sugar spikes, not the high fat.

ETA: A link within one of the links from PyramidHead addresses cancer and the ketogenic diet. FYI for anyone interested.

So many of these "studies" treat all carbs as carbs, making no distinction between black beans and processed sugar. It's very irritating.

I’m not sure which “studies” you’re referring to. The ones I’ve read have indeed made such distinctions, but I agree that finding legitimate, peer-reviewed studies that either contradict their own findings or do not address basic distinctions as you suggest can be very frustrating.

It’s like the reaction the medical community has to “juice cleanses” or “detoxes.” It isn’t the juice that cleans the body; it is the cessation of ingesting crap at every fucking meal that allows the body to complete its normal detoxing ability. Most doctors seem to only think in binary terms; assuming that if someone said “juice cleanse” it means they are saying the juice is what cleans the body and that the suggestion is that all one should ever ingest is juice at every meal.

No one ever suggests doing any such thing or making any such claim within the legitimate juicing world that I’ve ever experienced, yet in their zeal to be seen as the only authority on health and nutrition, these pointless strawmen keep getting stuffed. I’ve never understood this need for any doctor to be right when it comes to something as remarkably complex as the human body. I mean, other than they literally have people’s lives in their hands, but one would think that’s all the more reason to be cautious and thorough and more often than not I find haste and whatever the latest pill is to be the thing they prescribe.

Had an interesting diet conversation at work yesterday with a friend who imho is nutritionally aware. Come to find out he takes both cholesterol and BP med daily, he's 58, not overweight. He told me he eats "meat" once a month but I learn that by "meat" he only means red meat, not chicken, eggs, cheese, etc, which he consumes daily. He said he eats a lot of chicken. I let him know that my BP dropped drastically when I cut way way back on the animal flesh and animal products. Today it averages 114/71 without any med.

I told him he would benefit if he cut out the chicken as all the chicken he is consuming is infused with a brine solution, not the real deal, and just had that burger once a week instead. The plant side of his diet is the whole type, I've never seen him with a coke or bag of chips, so was shocked to learn he has high BP and cholesterol that requires meds. He also told me he is a regular blood donor and that his iron levels were way down, and was advised to ear more red meat as a solution.

So just wanted to say how surprised I was to learn that he is on medications. Could be a genetic component but I think he could get off the meds and be healthier with dietary changes only.
He also said he can't tolerate legumes, which are one of my staples.

This is a situation where I would love to be the fly on the wall and actually know what his diet is. Self-reporting can be not so accurate. What I've come to learn is that most of us prefer the intervention of meds because we love our present eating habits. That's just disappointing. Maybe I'll pursue the conversation further, he really has me curious.

Could be a genetic component but I think he could get off the meds and be healthier with dietary changes only.
As an FYI, unless you are a doctor or nutrition, what you think is not really important for their diet. Obviously, if they are eating very poorly, there is obvious advice to provide. But saying that he can get off medication by making a couple dietary changes isn't wise advice as you don't have authority over it.

Blood pressure could be diet, anxiety, work/life stress, watches too much Fox News, among other things.

Actually, some carbs that aren't table sugar can raise your blood sugar levels worse than regular sugar. Some non-sweet breakfast cereals will result in a higher blood sugar level than the sugary cereals, for example.

Cereal grains are generally bad for blood sugar levels, corn, wheat, rye...it doesn't seem to make much difference whether the cereal is wholegrain or not.

Back
Top Bottom