• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

% of unvaccinated children in US has quadrupled since 2001

It's sad really, but this will be a self correcting problem in the long run.
The problem is, it won't. The problem is much worse than the number of unvaccinated kids.

The Antivaxers whine that 'if I'm wrong it's only my kid at risk' which should be a number of points towards losing custody all by itself, but it's also butt-ignorant about how vaccines work.

Vaccination is not perfect protection, but it does, essentially, improve your saving throw against a disease. But unprotected kids mean that you may have to make many more saves.

Your kid being unprotected puts all of ours at greater risk. So you're not only abusing your child, you're abusing everyone else's...

http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...nated-u-s-children-has-quadrupled-since-2001/

Anyone with an anti-vaccine view should have their children taken away by the state. Such people are too stupid to be allowed the responsibility of child-rearing, and they are a threat to the health of not only their own children, but other children as well.

I don't approve of family separations... the anti-vaxers should be re-settled on their own island somewhere...
Maybe Ellesmere Island?

http://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/...nated-u-s-children-has-quadrupled-since-2001/

Anyone with an anti-vaccine view should have their children taken away by the state. Such people are too stupid to be allowed the responsibility of child-rearing, and they are a threat to the health of not only their own children, but other children as well.

I don't approve of family separations... the anti-vaxers should be re-settled on their own island somewhere...
Maybe Ellesmere Island?

How about Gruinard?

Maybe Ellesmere Island?

How about Gruinard?
Interesting story, but a bit of a sensationalist site.

The island was quarantined for 75 years because anyone that set foot on it was as good as dead within minutes.

Well, no, a number of people 'set foot on it' and there is no record of them dying soon after.

...the chemical fallout and ensuing contamination would render cities uninhabitable for decades – much like the radioactive fallout from atomic bombs...

Well, no, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were not uninhabitable for decades.

The island was declared under quarantine as anyone who set foot on the once idyllic island would die instantly.

Um, no.

......it took four years to decontaminate the island, which was eventually declared “safe” in 1990.

Apparently a herd of sheep was released on the island and remained healthy.

Anthrax is a highly resilient bacterium and like THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, mutation may occur. “I would NOT go walking on Gruinard,” archaeologist Dr. Brian Moffat warned. Nor should you.

Does the author know that anthrax is naturally found in ecosystems around the world?

Peez

The island was quarantined for 75 years because anyone that set foot on it was as good as dead within minutes.

Well, no, a number of people 'set foot on it' and there is no record of them dying soon after.

...the chemical fallout and ensuing contamination would render cities uninhabitable for decades – much like the radioactive fallout from atomic bombs...

The island was declared under quarantine as anyone who set foot on the once idyllic island would die instantly.

Um, no.

......it took four years to decontaminate the island, which was eventually declared “safe” in 1990.

Anthrax is a highly resilient bacterium and like THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, mutation may occur. “I would NOT go walking on Gruinard,” archaeologist Dr. Brian Moffat warned. Nor should you.

Does the author know that anthrax is naturally found in ecosystems around the world?

Peez

Yes, the article IS sensational. However, I'm from Scotland, and the core of the story is true. Anyway, I was only replying in the same vein as the idea of banishing them somewhere inhospitable, not with any serious intent.

Um, no.

Peez

Yes, the article IS sensational. However, I'm from Scotland, and the core of the story is true. Anyway, I was only replying in the same vein as the idea of banishing them somewhere inhospitable, not with any serious intent.
I am glad you shared it, I have a vague recollection of having heard of it before but it was certainly worth reading about.

I have to admit that I started to laugh when I read "Yes, the article IS sensational. However, I'm from Scotland..." (it sounds like the start of a Scotsman joke). Disclosure: my dad was from Dumbarton.

Peez

I was under the impression that the Gruinard (formerly the Matchnester Gruinard) was a UK newspaper. ;)

I agree that it (the island, not the periodical) would make an excellent relocation site for committed anti-vaxxers.

I was under the impression that the Gruinard (formerly the Matchnester Gruinard) was a UK newspaper. ;)

I agree that it (the island, not the periodical) would make an excellent relocation site for committed anti-vaxxers.

I presume you mean the Grauniad debacle when the Guardian misprinted it's own name?

I presume you mean the Grauniad debacle when the Guardian misprinted it's own name?

Indeed.

It's sad really, but this will be a self correcting problem in the long run.

It hurts a lot more than the anti-vax idiots. That's kind of the problem.

Not only does it hurt their children, who have no hope of understanding the decisions made on their behalf, but it also endangers other children who for various reasons can't get vaccinated due to this or that medical condition. Further, as the number of infected with preventable diseases increases, there will be a drag on the economy and the cost of healthcare in a given country.

Maybe Ellesmere Island?

Some of those people are not only failing to vaccinate children, but deliberately exposing them to the diseases they aren't vaccinated against. Some attempt to "cure" their autistic children by giving the autistic children bleach enemas.

If someone beat their child badly enough to hospitalize the child, the government takes the child away. This level of abuse is no different in my eyes. Children should not get sick or die due to their parents' neglect or stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom