• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

OJ Simpson - Life before #MeToo

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
link
article (my emphasis) said:
It was a tempestuous relationship. Mr. Simpson was reputedly a serial womanizer who couldn’t resist boasting of his many sexual conquests, but there was evidence that he descended into jealous rages regarding his wife. Nicole Simpson made at least eight 911 calls to police for protection. In 1985, she called for help, saying Mr. Simpson had smashed her car windshield with a baseball bat.

A more severe incident came on New Year’s Day 1989. Nicole Simpson called 911 at about 3 a.m., and when a police car arrived she jumped from the bushes outside their house wearing only a bra and sweatpants. Police reported that she had a black eye, cut lip and purple bruises on her face and neck.
“He’s going to kill me, he’s going to kill me!” she cried.

A furious Mr. Simpson emerged from the house dressed in a bathrobe. The police officers told him he was under arrest but allowed him to go inside to change his clothes. He stormed out again a few minutes later, hopped in his Bentley and sped off. Police did not pursue him, nor did they charge him with resisting arrest.

Mr. Simpson was fined and placed on probation after pleading guilty to spousal battery. Three months later, NBC Sports signed him to a new broadcast contract.
The #MeToo movement took some shit from many critics. Had it been around in the mid-80's, maybe women like Nicole Simpson would still be alive. At least as far as celebrity related murder is concerned.

link
article (my emphasis) said:
It was a tempestuous relationship. Mr. Simpson was reputedly a serial womanizer who couldn’t resist boasting of his many sexual conquests, but there was evidence that he descended into jealous rages regarding his wife. Nicole Simpson made at least eight 911 calls to police for protection. In 1985, she called for help, saying Mr. Simpson had smashed her car windshield with a baseball bat.

A more severe incident came on New Year’s Day 1989. Nicole Simpson called 911 at about 3 a.m., and when a police car arrived she jumped from the bushes outside their house wearing only a bra and sweatpants. Police reported that she had a black eye, cut lip and purple bruises on her face and neck.
“He’s going to kill me, he’s going to kill me!” she cried.

A furious Mr. Simpson emerged from the house dressed in a bathrobe. The police officers told him he was under arrest but allowed him to go inside to change his clothes. He stormed out again a few minutes later, hopped in his Bentley and sped off. Police did not pursue him, nor did they charge him with resisting arrest.

Mr. Simpson was fined and placed on probation after pleading guilty to spousal battery. Three months later, NBC Sports signed him to a new broadcast contract.
The #MeToo movement took some shit from many critics. Had it been around in the mid-80's, maybe women like Nicole Simpson would still be alive. At least as far as celebrity related murder is concerned.
Right? That SOB was guilty as Zimmerman.

I wish.

My father was fairly racist but, with the exception of his daughters was an even bigger sexist. He was certain OJ was innocent. By virtue of his status as a sports hero—you know: one of the good blacks.

I wish that that line of thinking died out with my father but sadly, it has not. MeToo notwithstanding.

Don’t believe me? Look at how many people voted for Trump and still support him. How many ugly things are said and written about E Jean Carroll. Or how nobody mentions the ( very credible) accusations against Bill Clinton anymore—actually, I think that Trump was the last person to bring that up, in a bit of sang froid or hypocrisy, depending on your POV.

Or the push back against Taylor Swift who has the audacity to date a football player.

Or the rise of people like Ben Shapiro, Charlie Kirk and fucking Matt Gaetz.

What I was referring to was the NBC gig, post spousal abuse guilty plea. We aren't talking an argument, we are talking he beat her to the point she feared for her life. NBC re-ups the contract.

OJ would probably still be OJ, but sequential events that occur where you don't get in trouble for doing bad things, can help drive one to committing even worse acts. It normalizes bad behavior. He continues "acting", he continues working for NBC. What if that stopped because of the abuse? Who knows.

He did, however, demonstrate something important.
The degree to which racism was over, in the USA.
He literally got away with murder. The murder of white people. He demonstrated that black people can literally get away with murder if they are wealthy enough. If a black person can afford an expensive legal team they can buy justice just like any other rich people.

That's racial equality. Not justice or anything, but Simpson could afford to buy his way out of the American justice system and he demonstrably did.
Tom

What I was referring to was the NBC gig, post spousal abuse guilty plea. We aren't talking an argument, we are talking he beat her to the point she feared for her life. NBC re-ups the contract.

OJ would probably still be OJ, but sequential events that occur where you don't get in trouble for doing bad things, can help drive one to committing even worse acts. It normalizes bad behavior. He continues "acting", he continues working for NBC. What if that stopped because of the abuse? Who knows.
But nothing you just wrote makes any sense if OJ did not kill his wife.

Of course, most of us (myself included) believe OJ did get away with murder. But since you never can believe in alternative or conspiracy theories, I find it rich you can now believe reforming OJ would have made any difference at all. His wife would be just as dead since someone else did it.

But nothing you just wrote makes any sense if OJ did not kill his wife.

Of course, most of us (myself included) believe OJ did get away with murder. But since you never can believe in alternative or conspiracy theories, I find it rich you can now believe reforming OJ would have made any difference at all. His wife would be just as dead since someone else did it.
WTF?!

He literally got away with murder. The murder of white people. He demonstrated that black people can literally get away with murder if they are wealthy enough. If a black person can afford an expensive legal team they can buy justice just like any other rich people.

That's racial equality. Not justice or anything, but Simpson could afford to buy his way out of the American justice system and he demonstrably did.
Tom
See, that sort of reasoning is exactly why intersectionality theory came about...

Tom
See, that sort of reasoning is exactly why intersectionality theory came about...
I thought it was the perfect example why poor whites in West Virginia should be taxed more in order to give their reparations to OJ.

So a thread started regarding the brutal murder of an ex-wife (and her companion) by her ex-husband in a fit of jealous rage... and how it was in some part enabled by the system and culture in general condoning violence against a spouse, makes you think of how it is unfair white people need to pay non-existent reparations to blacks.

That says a lot about you.

So a thread started regarding the brutal murder of an ex-wife (and her companion) by her ex-husband in a fit of jealous rage... and how it was in some part enabled by the system and culture in general condoning violence against a spouse, makes you think of how it is unfair white people need to pay non-existent reparations to blacks.

Rehashing very old celebrity murders, that have a raft of related issues, has a way of encouraging asides and derails.
Tom

Rehashing very old celebrity murders, that have a raft of related issues, has a way of encouraging asides and derails.
Tom
Hey, that reminds me. What do you guys think about the Fatty Arbuckle murder case? I always thought he got off easy, myself.

Tom
Hey, that reminds me. What do you guys think about the Fatty Arbuckle murder case? I always thought he got off easy, myself.
Natalie Wood says Hi from the murky deep.

Back
Top Bottom