• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Oklahoma shakes

If it quacks like a quake must be aquake.

You can check the national sites that report quakes24/7.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/

The mid west has a major fault line. A quake in the 1800s changed the course of the Mississippi River.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

'...sometimes called the New MadridFault Line, is a major seismic zone and a prolific source ofintraplate earthquakes (earthquakes within a tectonic plate) in thesouthern and midwestern United States, stretching to the southwestfrom New Madrid, Missouri.

The New Madrid fault system wasresponsible for the 1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes and may have thepotential to produce large earthquakes in the future. Since 1812,frequent smaller earthquakes have been recorded in the area.[1]

Earthquakes that occur in the NewMadrid Seismic Zone potentially threaten parts of seven Americanstates: Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennesseeand Mississippi.[2]...'

sometimes called the New Madrid FaultLine, is a major seismic zone and a prolific source of intraplate earthquakes (earthquakes within a tectonic plate) in the southern and mid western United States, stretching to the southwest from NewMadrid, Missouri.

The New Madrid fault system was responsible for the 1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes and may have the potential to produce large earthquakes in the future. Since 1812,frequent smaller earthquakes have been recorded in the area.[1]...

This event shook windows and furniture in Washington, D.C., rang bells in Richmond, Virginia, sloshed well water and shook houses in Charleston, South Carolina, and knocked plaster off of houses in Columbia, South Carolina. In Jefferson, Indiana, furniture moved and in Lebanon, Ohio, residents fled their homes.

Earthquakes that occur in the New Madrid Seismic Zone potentially threaten parts of seven Americanstates: Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennesseeand Mississippi.[2]...'

Maybe the quake swarms are caused byall that irrigation water that has been pumped out. In some placesthe surface has dropped.

Actually projections the depletion of the mid west aquifers is one of major future threats, more so than any fracking issues. Projections are we will no longer be a net food exporter. If I were in my 20s I'd be worried about food supplies andwater 30-40 years away.

I find that there are indeed many quacks in Oklahoma. The entire Shannon/Lankford issue proved it.

Quakes in Youngstown, Ohio were linked to a deep fracking waste water storage well.

Wouldn't that e a kick in the ass if fracking started a cascading global series of earthquakes leading to the end of modern cocivilization throwing us back to primitive existence.

from what I read a while back... my memory maybe incorrect I dunno... is that frackers want to frack next to that supervolcano in yellowstone.
if they screw up the stability of the earth in that region they could inadvertently or on purpose set that supervolcano exploding laying waste to 2/3 of north america.

more specifically to oklahoma the siesmic activity could be from coal mining.
but i wonder if the frackers have calculated how close they can drill next to yosemite without triggering an eruption

The mid west has a major fault line. A quake in the 1800s changed the course of the Mississippi River.

'...sometimes called the New MadridFault Line, is a major seismic zone and a prolific source ofintraplate earthquakes (earthquakes within a tectonic plate) in thesouthern and midwestern United States, stretching to the southwestfrom New Madrid, Missouri.

The New Madrid fault system wasresponsible for the 1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes and may have thepotential to produce large earthquakes in the future. Since 1812,frequent smaller earthquakes have been recorded in the area.[1]

Earthquakes that occur in the NewMadrid Seismic Zone potentially threaten parts of seven Americanstates: Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennesseeand Mississippi.[2]...'

sometimes called the New Madrid FaultLine, is a major seismic zone and a prolific source of intraplate earthquakes (earthquakes within a tectonic plate) in the southern and mid western United States, stretching to the southwest from NewMadrid, Missouri.

The New Madrid fault system was responsible for the 1811–12 New Madrid earthquakes and may have the potential to produce large earthquakes in the future. Since 1812,frequent smaller earthquakes have been recorded in the area.[1]...

This event shook windows and furniture in Washington, D.C., rang bells in Richmond, Virginia, sloshed well water and shook houses in Charleston, South Carolina, and knocked plaster off of houses in Columbia, South Carolina. In Jefferson, Indiana, furniture moved and in Lebanon, Ohio, residents fled their homes.

Earthquakes that occur in the New Madrid Seismic Zone potentially threaten parts of seven Americanstates: Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennesseeand Mississippi.[2]...'

Maybe the quake swarms are caused byall that irrigation water that has been pumped out. In some placesthe surface has dropped.

Actually projections the depletion of the mid west aquifers is one of major future threats, more so than any fracking issues. Projections are we will no longer be a net food exporter. If I were in my 20s I'd be worried about food supplies andwater 30-40 years away.

The experts in the article do not state a conclusion one way or the other, yet you seem to have formed a conclusion already. Perhaps you should publish your findings and let the experts gain the benefit of your great wisdom.

The experts in the article do not state a conclusion one way or the other, yet you seem to have formed a conclusion already. Perhaps you should publish your findings and let the experts gain the benefit of your great wisdom.

HUH?

The mid west has a fault that may be more dangerous than the San Andreas.

Small quakes that are not felt occur daily across the USA.

The open pit coal mine detonations are so powerful they have to be pre-anounced on a global a network so no thinks there has been a weapon used, seismic sensors.

I read an article that co related summer and associated dropping water tables with seismic activity.

The mid west aquifers are dropping far faster than replenishment. There are regions where the ground has lowered.

Could be a perturbation o the moon.

People jump to fracking because it is a hot button.

If I were investigating my first question would be what is the history of quakes in Ok from those that are felt to those that are not.

Short of starting and stopping frackng and correlating to quakes there is no way to assess fracking as a cause beyond speculation. Unless someone has a geological model they claim is provable.

Possible, but you first have to exclude all other possibilities such that fracking is an unavoidable conclusion.

It isn't fracking, some of these issues have been linked to injection wells, where fracking waste fluids get injected because apparently they are too expensive to treat otherwise.

The only question I have is do you think the Geologists are too stupid to know about the Madrid Fault and bother seeing where the epicenters of the quakes are?

HUH?

The mid west has a fault that may be more dangerous than the San Andreas.

Small quakes that are not felt occur daily across the USA.

The open pit coal mine detonations are so powerful they have to be pre-anounced on a global a network so no thinks there has been a weapon used, seismic sensors.

I read an article that co related summer and associated dropping water tables with seismic activity.

The mid west aquifers are dropping far faster than replenishment. There are regions where the ground has lowered.

Could be a perturbation o the moon.

If I were investigating my first question would be what is the history of quakes in Ok from those that are felt to those that are not.

Short of starting and stopping frackng and correlating to quakes there is no way to assess fracking as a cause beyond speculation. Unless someone has a geological model they claim is provable.

Possible, but you first have to exclude all other possibilities such that fracking is an unavoidable conclusion.

The experts say it's inconclusive, but you know for a fact that this was not caused by fracking. Why haven't you published your findings already? If the experts are wrong and you're right, this is an opportunity for you to become famous! Or is there some reason you don't want to publish?

Here, look at this: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...=YnPJU4KPIc-9oQSFgIHQAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQgQMwAA

All of that scholarly work is clearly proven wrong by your rock-solid evidence and reasoning. You should use your rock-solid evidence and reasoning to prove that all of those people are not as smart as you, not as well-informed as you, and unlike you are motivated by ideology instead of actual facts. Do you have any idea how famous you'll be after proving all of them wrong with the brilliant arguments you just posted? Because it sounds like you are not only convinced that these earthquakes are definitely not caused by fracking, you sound convinced that fracking does not cause earthquakes in general, in which case you are in a prime position to become famous!

On the plus side, Oklahoma could get some serious mountains out of this (over time).

That should help with the tornadoes.....

The only question I have is do you think the Geologists are too stupid to know about the Madrid Fault and bother seeing where the epicenters of the quakes are?

Only if you pay them enough to be that stupid, like frackers do. Frackers are not stupid, just reckless, short-sighted and greedy.

Back
Top Bottom