• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

One of the Most Popular persons amongst Scientologists

It is Easter, dude. Plenty of people who are recently deceased are very much alive.

Do try to keep up.
OH NO... Are you telling us that the zombie apocalypse has started already? :eeka:

Some dead guy comes back to life and, all of a sudden, people close to those he touched appear to have no brains.

You do the maths.

Have you seen the film, WP?
The description sounds like the book and articles and echoes the New Yorker The books tend to resemble each other a lot with one or two differences but will be essentially the same. Apart from the entertainment value, the film is not likely to be objective, but will it be different?

Yeah dude, facts and truth tends to resemble each other....

The branches of psychiatry which enforce medication and physical treatments. Nowadays society has moved a little away from this sort of thing.

No, not science society. But dream on you....

I suggest you look at what Psychiatrists themselves say (for and against forced treatments). You can look at the Mental Health Act in UK, its past and recent legislation. You will see there are reforms on how people are committed. There are still forced treatments if a person is perceived to be a danger or potential danger to society.

The description sounds like the book and articles and echoes the New Yorker The books tend to resemble each other a lot with one or two differences but will be essentially the same. Apart from the entertainment value, the film is not likely to be objective, but will it be different?

Yeah dude, facts and truth tends to resemble each other....

Non factual information will also resemble each other so this is not a good argument. How do you determine truths vs. high or low probabilities? How do you know for certain what data is true, likely or unlikely. Here I am not using true or false but degrees of probabilities.

I take it you haven't seen it. (Dude, you coulda just said "no." Those comm skills...)

If I get a chance I will see the film but it is almost a certainty there will not be anything new, 'revealing' or different, or it would have been mentioned in the New Yorker.
If there is something new, you can enlighten me. If there was you would not hesitate to mention this. Also hearsay is the poorest form of evidence.

No, not science society. But dream on you....

I suggest you look at what Psychiatrists themselves say (for and against forced treatments). You can look at the Mental Health Act in UK, its past and recent legislation. You will see there are reforms on how people are committed. There are still forced treatments if a person is perceived to be a danger or potential danger to society.

You are changing the goalposts.

I've always wondered why electroshock therapy was so ineffective. Personally, if I was an alien ghost possessing some dude's body and people started zapping that body with electrodes, I'd get the fuck out of that body.

But they stayed. Aliens are wierd.

No, simply pointing to some of the legal structures in place to force treatments and incarcerate people, though in recent years there have been some changes to allow the patients (in the UK) to lodge appeals against forced confinement and treatment).

Psychiatry operates within the legal structures of various societies hence these are within the goalposts set in legislation and psychiatry.
The opinions of the psychiatrists are within the goalposts (being psychiatry).
The last statement is within the goalposts which of analysis and evaluation which may change but are still the goalposts set by the law in consultation with advisory groups.

So one cannot change what is inside the goalposts. What do you think has changed.

Why would anyone expect there to be anything new offered in a film about Scientology? The nuttiness of that cult has already been exposed many times but most of the population still know nothing about it because they haven't bothered to investigate. It is like a new movie or documentary on the Salem witch trials. What happened there has been well known for quite a while but most people either don't have a clue or only have a vague idea.

I see the value of this film being to clue in more of the population so they will not be sucked into this cult, pretty much as you pointed out.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but... why is it noteworthy that a Scientologist is an atheist? As far as I was aware, Scientology does not have any gods, or do they?

I'm a bit late to the party here, but... why is it noteworthy that a Scientologist is an atheist? As far as I was aware, Scientology does not have any gods, or do they?

You know how the religious like to grab onto whatever appears to be confirmation no matter how minuscule or irrelevant.

The person was an Atheist not a Scientologist

Then why did you describe him as a "person amongst Scientologists?"

Being amongst is not the same as being one of.

- - - Updated - - -

You know how the religious like to grab onto whatever appears to be confirmation no matter how minuscule or irrelevant.

You formed your conclusion on a person's misunderstanding.

I watched it last week, and "reviewed" it in the TV thread, media subforum ...

http://talkfreethought.org/showthre...vive-from-FRDB&p=141240&viewfull=1#post141240
Why would anyone expect there to be anything new offered in a film about Scientology? The nuttiness of that cult has already been exposed many times but most of the population still know nothing about it because they haven't bothered to investigate. It is like a new movie or documentary on the Salem witch trials. What happened there has been well known for quite a while but most people either don't have a clue or only have a vague idea.

I see the value of this film being to clue in more of the population so they will not be sucked into this cult, pretty much as you pointed out.

How do they investigate?

Back
Top Bottom