• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Peloton exercise bike ad mocked as being 'sexist' and 'dystopian'

Sadly both actors are getting crap online about it, but anyone "famous" gets crap on the internet...internet trolls live for this kind of shit. People called for Jody Whittaker's death for crying out loud, people 'claiming' to be Doctor Who fans. It's bupkiss; these people just live to try and shock and deserve nothing more than being ignored.
The more I look at the OP ad, I admit I do start to see a few potentially iffy things. Perhaps my initial view was formed by a reaction to the over the top criticisms and maybe there are more minor ones that could be made.

Again, whether an individual ad in isolation (as opposed to a potentially dubious pattern being evident in ads by a certain manufacturer) should be taken to task, I'm not sure, especially when the objectionable elements in an ad are minor or mild.

I'd be happy with the ad being deconstructed, including criticisms, but if an over-reaction leads to financial losses of several million pounds (possibly more) I think it's a bit....much. Although the point has been made by another poster that the loss may be temporary and the manufacturer may even gain in the long run, under the 'there's no such thing as bad publicity ' rule.

And the male actor getting online abuse seems very unfortunate, and would surely be non-trivial for him.

All in all I'd still say this was woke going too far.

Sadly both actors are getting crap online about it, but anyone "famous" gets crap on the internet...internet trolls live for this kind of shit. People called for Jody Whittaker's death for crying out loud, people 'claiming' to be Doctor Who fans.

Jodie, not Jody.

However, what makes you think someone can't be a Doctor Who fan (or ex-fan) and not have an irrational reaction to the actors, who are the public face of Chris Chibnall destroying their beloved franchise and mutilating its corpse?

If somebody wanted to mount an argument that some creative artists deserve vigilante execution for execrable output, I'd encourage them to exhibit 'The Tsuranga Conundrum' as their opening salvo.

Sadly both actors are getting crap online about it, but anyone "famous" gets crap on the internet...internet trolls live for this kind of shit. People called for Jody Whittaker's death for crying out loud, people 'claiming' to be Doctor Who fans. It's bupkiss; these people just live to try and shock and deserve nothing more than being ignored.
The more I look at the OP ad, I admit I do start to see a few potentially iffy things. Perhaps my initial view was formed by a reaction to the over the top criticisms and maybe there are more minor ones that could be made.

Again, whether an individual ad in isolation (as opposed to a potentially dubious pattern being evident in ads by a certain manufacturer) should be taken to task, I'm not sure, especially when the objectionable elements in an ad are minor or mild.

I'd be happy with the ad being deconstructed, including criticisms, but if an over-reaction leads to financial losses of several million pounds (possibly more) I think it's a bit....much. Although the point has been made by another poster that the loss may be temporary and the manufacturer may even gain in the long run, under the 'there's no such thing as bad publicity ' rule.

And the male actor getting online abuse seems very unfortunate, and would surely be non-trivial for him.

All in all I'd still say this was woke going too far.
How do people even find out who these actors are?! Even if I cared about the commercial, I couldn't care enough to drag out such details online... forget about the harassment. Of course, with online trolls, it is impossible to tell who is serious anymore on social media.

The old saying is there's no such thing as bad publicity.

So just to be clear, my wife will not be insulted if I buy her an exercise bike?

That people care about this is a good example that we live in the most prosperous and safe times to be alive.

So just to be clear, my wife will not be insulted if I buy her an exercise bike?

Probably not insulted, but she might just divorce you for dropping 2 grand on something without consulting her.

I hope you busybodies are happy with yourselves! Now the poor woman has taken up drinking!

"You look great by the way!"
That's because of all the stationary cycling of course.

I don't know. Do you often consult the internet for advice about your wife's personality and interests from people who don't know either of you?

Or do you think all women are the same, and therefore any advice is bound to apply?

My question is who is actually whining about this? How many are real people? How many are bots? How many are trolls?
...a $2500 exercise bike.

...plus a $39-per-month membership fee for the streaming content and iOS app, obligatory for the first year.

I think the woman in the ad looked scared because she was already so skinny she had no flab to lose, she'd get heavier if she put on muscle mass, and her husband would be pissed he spent thousands on a stupid exercise bike if any part of her besides her breasts got bigger.

My question is who is actually whining about this? How many are real people? How many are bots? How many are trolls?
...a $2500 exercise bike.

...plus a $39-per-month membership fee for the streaming content and iOS app, obligatory for the first year.

I think the woman in the ad looked scared because she was already so skinny she had no flab to lose, she'd get heavier if she put on muscle mass, and her husband would be pissed he spent thousands on a stupid exercise bike if any part of her besides her breasts got bigger.

Wow really? Hetero men are fucked up. How do you live like that?

It was normalized centuries ago.

So, why are all heterosexual men so shallow and so uniform in their tastes? Why do you get angry at women who build muscle mass? What's wrong with you?

So, why are all heterosexual men so shallow and so uniform in their tastes? Why do you get angry at women who build muscle mass? What's wrong with you?

I'm not angry at women who build muscle mass. I think the woman in that ad was afraid her husband would be displeased if she gained weight over the course of the year after he spent thousands on an exercise bike for her, which she would if she gained muscle mass. It's not like she had any fat or water weight to lose. But apparently her annual review went well, so it's all good.

What do you think she was afraid of before her first workout? She kinda looked like this guy

get out.jpg

and he was having a really bad year.

We are not. We do not. Nothing.

Arctish is not "all heterosexual men".

Nah. Beauty standards have varied through the centuries.

And these days, different men have different preferences re female beauty. It's not one size fits all.

We're talking about the guy in the ad who spent thousands of dollars on an exercise bike for his already skinny wife and reviewed her 'progress' at the end of the year.

That guy.

The one married to the nervous looking woman.

What do you think she was afraid of before her first workout?

I'm not angry at women who build muscle mass. I think the woman in that ad was afraid her husband would be displeased if she gained weight over the course of the year after he spent thousands on an exercise bike for her, which she would if she gained muscle mass. It's not like she had any fat or water weight to lose. But apparently her annual review went well, so it's all good.
You are waaaaay overthinking that ad.

What do you think she was afraid of before her first workout? She kinda looked like this guy
As I said. Besides ...
tumblr_p74u135CNm1qk7bkio5_r1_500.gif

Back
Top Bottom