• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pete Buttigieg

Brian63

Veteran Member
Basic Beliefs
Freethinker/atheist/humanist
Here are 2 MSNBC clips from Tuesday morning's broadcast of "Morning Joe".

Clip 1 (11 minutes long)

Clip 2 (16 minutes long)

Wow. Imagine having an intelligent, knowledgeable, thoughtful, articulate, compassionate person, who has background experience in the military and serving as an executive in a government, serving as President of the United States, in contrast to what we have today. He is the current mayor of South Bend, Indiana and seems like a great candidate, except that the country probably is not ready for a gay president yet. Hopefully I would be wrong, but the Religious Right still holds too much political and cultural power and they would throw fire and brimstone if the Dems nominated such a candidate, getting all their foot soldiers rushed to the polls to prevent the apocalypse of a gay president.

At the end of the 2nd clip, Mika (a co-host) notes the in depth and substantive discussion they were having with Pete, in contrast to what the current President of the United States had concurrently tweeted, remarks about a top adviser's husband being jealous, a stone cold loser, and a husband from hell. Well, if there is one thing Trump has expertise and experience with, it is being a husband from hell. Gotta give him his dues there.

Last edited:

Clip 1 (11 minutes long)

Clip 2 (16 minutes long)

Wow. Imagine having an intelligent, knowledgeable, thoughtful, articulate, compassionate person, who has background experience in the military and serving as an executive in a government, serving as President of the United States, in contrast to what we have today. He is the current mayor of South Bend, Indiana and seems like a great candidate, except that the country probably is not ready for a gay president yet. Hopefully I would be wrong, but the Religious Right still holds too much political and cultural power and they would throw fire and brimstone if the Dems nominated such a candidate, getting all their foot soldiers rushed to the polls to prevent the apocalypse of a gay president.

At the end of the 2nd clip, Mika (a co-host) notes the in depth and substantive discussion they were having with Pete, in contrast to what the current President of the United States had concurrently tweeted, remarks about a top adviser's husband being jealous, a stone cold loser, and a husband from hell. Well, if there is one thing Trump has expertise and experience with, it is being a husband from hell. Gotta give him his dues there.

Yea, he's sharp.

On Wednesday, the day after that interview, Joe posted the following on his Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/JoeNBC/status/1108520869700272129

Mika and I have been overwhelmed by the reaction @PeteButtigieg got after being on the show. The only other time in twelve years that we heard from as many people about a guest was after @BarackObama appeared on Morning Joe.

When you get to know him, you get to like him. [ETA: Assuming it was mostly positive reactions they received...]

Clip 1 (11 minutes long)

Clip 2 (16 minutes long)

Yea, he's sharp.

I watched the Mayor's appearances on Morning Joe, Fox News with Chris Wallace, and the CNN town hall from Austin.

Politicians have their talking points at the ready and will often respond to a question with the point which hits closest to the question, or say "that's a great question" and launch into a taking point they want to get out.

Buttigieg has rehearsed answers (if you watch all three appearances you see him repeat the same phrases), but they're actually answers, as opposed to talking points.

It's a subtle distinction, but important. This guy is good.

Mayor of South Bend to President seems a huge step. The trouble America seems to be getting back into is an impotent President, where Congress exerts more power (to not accomplish anything). What is Mayor Buttigieg's ability to get legislation passed?

Mayor of South Bend to President seems a huge step.

So does action-movie star to governor of California. So does game-show host and lying conman and sexual harasser to president. Those have not stopped the American people before though. I think you are just being too generous to the American public's intelligence.

The trouble America seems to be getting back into is an impotent President, where Congress exerts more power (to not accomplish anything). What is Mayor Buttigieg's ability to get legislation passed?

I confess to confusion about what these questions mean.

Mayor of South Bend to President seems a huge step.

So does action-movie star to governor of California.
Well, seeing that was an actual Coup, it does indicate that such a thing shouldn't happen. Staging a fake energy crisis to remove a Democrat from office. Oi!
So does game-show host and lying conman and sexual harasser to president. Those have not stopped the American people before though. I think you are just being too generous to the American public's intelligence.
I'm not talking about the public, I'm talking about what reasonable people should be looking for.

The trouble America seems to be getting back into is an impotent President, where Congress exerts more power (to not accomplish anything). What is Mayor Buttigieg's ability to get legislation passed?
I confess to confusion about what these questions mean.
What is the basis of Buttigieg being able to get legislation passed? How did Pres. Johnson get the Civil Rights Act through?

Why would a President need the ability to get legislation passed? Just randomly declare shit to be a national emergency and fund it himself.

This article was an eye-opener for me. From the conclusion:

Why? Why have I spent so long talking about the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, an underdog candidate for the presidency? Why have I been so relentlessly negative? Because I see what this is, and I see how these things go, and we can’t afford to make this mistake again. No more Bright Young People with their beautiful families and flawless characters and elite educations and vacuous messages of uplift and togetherness. Give me fucked-up people with convictions and gusto. Give me real human beings, not CV-padding corporate zombies.

If we are lucky, Buttigieg Fever will dissipate quickly when people realize this guy is the same rancid wine in a new wifi-enabled bottle. “Hah, remember when Pete Buttigieg became a thing for a hot second?” It will be remembered as neoliberalism’s last gasp, a pitiful attempt at co-optation that was met with a unanimous reply of “Nice try.” Let’s hope to God that’s how this goes.

But let me finish by reminding you why this matters. It matters because of the people Buttigieg doesn’t see, the people who aren’t in the index of his “beautiful” book with its “classic American success story” of “humility and tentativeness.” Read this recent Washington Post profile of Monica Diaz, who is 40 years old, went to college, has a full-time job, and is still having to live in a tent because the rent is too high and her pay is too low. Think about the people who have to launch GoFundMe campaigns for their insulin, and those like Shane Boyle who die when they can’t make their goal.

These things should make you fucking angry. You should not be able to stop thinking about them. Your hate should be pure and should burn white hot. If you find pothole locator apps more compelling than the the lives of people like Monica Diaz, then there is something wrong with you. Get out of politics. Take the shortest way home and stay there.

We need representatives who are all about the lives of people like Monica Diaz and Shane Boyle.

Pete Buttigieg is all about Pete Buttigieg.

Back
Top Bottom