• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Pluto flyover by New Horizons

To convince you of what, exactly?

pictures not good enough for... what? convincing the likes of you that space exists and we have been there? Why should that be important to anyone (besides you)?

Head%20Banger.gif
Head%20Banger.gif
Of course 'space exists', I've never said it doesn't! Jesus wept!
'Have we been there'? Only in 'the back yard' viz the moon; further out? No!

People have not traveled further out, but numerous space probes and landers, Venus, mars, etc, have travelled further out....including a couple that that have left the solar system altogether.

Head%20Banger.gif
Head%20Banger.gif
Of course 'space exists', I've never said it doesn't! Jesus wept!
'Have we been there'? Only in 'the back yard' viz the moon; further out? No!

People have not traveled further out, but numerous space probes and landers, Venus, mars, etc, have travelled further out....including a couple that that have left the solar system altogether.

Well there y'go - you obviously believe it all whereas I don't, and only one of us can be right.

Actually, DBT, do you believe this?

"Astronomers have discovered a curious empty section of space which is missing around 10,000 galaxies.
The ‘supervoid’, which is 1.8 billion light-years across, is the largest known structure ever discovered in the universe but scientists are baffled about what it is and why it is so barren."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...-mysterious-empty-hole-found-in-universe.html

If so, how can a void be 'a structure'? Supplemental question (for anyone) Is a 'supervoid' a 'superstructure'?
smiley-laughing002.gif

Last edited:

Well there y'go - you obviously believe it all whereas I don't, and only one of us can be right.

"Astronomers have discovered a curious empty section of space which is missing around 10,000 galaxies.
The ‘supervoid’, which is 1.8 billion light-years across, is the largest known structure ever discovered in the universe but scientists are baffled about what it is and why it is so barren."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...-mysterious-empty-hole-found-in-universe.html

If so, how can a void be 'a structure'? Supplemental question (for anyone) Is a 'supervoid' a 'superstructure'?
smiley-laughing002.gif

How can an inhabitant of a modern wealthy nation possibly be so poorly educated?

Fuck it is depressing reading your posts. They make me wonder whether developing large brains was really worth all the effort. Perhaps our species is more suited to chucking poo at each other.

smiley-laughing002.gif

I don't think you are serious. A bit of leg pulling....aspiring to become the resident prankster?

smiley-laughing002.gif

How can an inhabitant of a modern wealthy nation possibly be so poorly educated?

Fuck it is depressing reading your posts. They make me wonder whether developing large brains was really worth all the effort. Perhaps our species is more suited to chucking poo at each other.

So tell me, bilby - where do you get your information on this kind of thing from? And do you have any comment to make on the above Telegraph link? Sorry to depress you, but I do wonder why you're getting so up-tight.
169.gif
Could it be because I've forced you to have a re-think, and you're beginning to feel a bit foolish for having fallen for it? Don't worry mate - you're not the only one. :D

So tell me, bilby - where do you get your information on this kind of thing from? And do you have any comment to make on the above Telegraph link? Sorry to depress you, but I do wonder why you're getting so up-tight.
169.gif
Could it be because I've forced you to have a re-think, and you're beginning to feel a bit foolish for having fallen for it? Don't worry mate - you're not the only one. :D

It would clearly be futile for me to comment for your benefit. I might as well try to explain the space program to the gecko on the kitchen window.

Or perhaps to the monsters that live under bridges and prey on goats.

Reactions: DBT

smiley-laughing002.gif

I don't think you are serious. A bit of leg pulling....aspiring to become the resident prankster?

eek7.gif
I'm deadly serious!

169.gif

It would clearly be futile for me to comment for your benefit. I might as well try to explain the space program to the gecko on the kitchen window.

smiley-shocked032.gif
Looks like I might've touched a nerve, which means I must be getting somewhere.

smiley-shocked032.gif

Yes, totally. Hitting some random internet poster's nerve totally means you're getting to the truth of the international conspiracy to convince the world we've sent out probes to other planets!

He has found the conspiracy's achilles heel, everyone!

smiley-shocked032.gif

Yes, totally. Hitting some random internet poster's nerve totally means you're getting to the truth of the international conspiracy to convince the world we've sent out probes to other planets!

smiley-laughing002.gif
I've been waiting for that. So what do you make of that Telegraph link, dystopian?

How about addressing my questions above with some sort of substance instead of trolling people with one-liners and smiley faces.

Do you think that NASA and the ESA have faked every single space mission that's gone beyond the moon?

All dozen or more successful Mars missions by NASA? The failed ones like Beagle and Mars Climate Observer? Cassini-Huygens at Saturn? Dawn which visited Vesta and is currently orbiting Ceres and making its way into a lower orbit to take higher resolution pictures of the surface? Voyagers I and II, both of which are still active and sending back valuable data to NASA? The various Mariner, Pioneer, etc. probes which have explored various parts of the solar system?

Do you think the contractors that help build and design these missions are in on the hoax or have been successfully fooled by NASA into designing and building equipment which never went to use and which NASA is faking data from? IBM, Lockheed, Boeing, etc. and many many others. What's their role in the cover-up, if they are involved at all?

What about universities like Caltech and Arizona State University which are heavily involved with NASA. ASU is responsible for doing a lot of the legwork of processing and preparing the imagery data from Mars orbiters which is publicly available online on their website and on NASA's website. Literally hundreds of thousands of images. You can view multiple images of the same places on Mars from multiple orbiters (from different space agencies as well, ESA have their own mapping orbiter at Mars) at different times and compare them (I'm the kind of nerd who enjoys that kind of thing.) Are they in on the hoax too or are NASA fooling them into thinking they're actually involved with helping them with their solar system exploration? Are NASA feeding them fake CGI images, thousands upon thousands of them, to make them think they're helping work with the real thing?

How deep do you think the hoax actually goes if you really believe that NASA or anyone else has never actually explored the solar system via probes beyond the moon?

In a couple of years, the James Webb Space Telescope, the successor to the Hubble Space Telescope, will be launched and placed in a Lagrangian orbit, 930,000 miles from earth. When it starts sending back pictures, will you believe them or dismiss them because it's working from beyond the moon, a feat which you apparently think impossible for unspecified reasons?

What India? Have they also gotten into the solar system fakery act by hoaxing their successful probe to Mars?

smiley-laughing002.gif
I've been waiting for that. So what do you make of that Telegraph link, dystopian?

We've known about cosmic voids and supervoids for quite a while. Referring to voids as structures is not problematic at all; although it might be more correct to say they are *part* of cosmic structures (galactic filaments); or possibly even the other way around. If you don't understand how a void can be a part of a structure, then consider that the absence of a thing is an integral part of most structures. Consider a doorway as the archetypal example. A doorway is an integral part of any building... yet a doorway is literally *nothing*. It is the absence of a wall. It is a void; yet part of a structure.

Cosmic voids are interesting. They're regions of the universe that are not entirely empty, but have well below average distribution of matter (in the form of galaxies). They're formed as a result of something called baryon acoustic oscillations. The early universe packed all the energy/matter that we have today into a very dense package. The universe essentially consisted of a plasma made out of electrons and baryons. This primordial plasma did not have a uniform density; there were regions that were more dense than others. Gravity will pull even more matter to these dense regions, while at the same time the interaction of photons (light) with the dense matter creates an outward pressure. These two opposing forces create oscillations that ripple through the primordial plasma. There's a bit more to it, but the eventual result is that these dense regions collapse into voids, while the ripples evolve into the galactic filaments we see today.

The fact that this supervoid is larger than expected provides reason to recalculate the specific details, but it does not suggest that something entirely different happened. It's like if you were coming up with an experimental recipe for gunpowder and discover that the explosion created is larger than you thought it would be. This does not suggest that the underlying theory is wrong, just that your calculations need some more work.

How about addressing my questions above with some sort of substance instead of trolling people with one-liners and smiley faces.

Do you think that NASA and the ESA have faked every single space mission that's gone beyond the moon?

-

What India? Have they also gotten into the solar system fakery act by hoaxing their successful probe to Mars?

You'd also have to include Japan, Russia and China; as they too have succesfully launched probes beyond Lunar orbit. Anyone who can convince all these countries to agree on something like this has my respect.

[QUO
You'd also have to include Japan, Russia and China; as they too have succesfully launched probes beyond Lunar orbit. Anyone who can convince all these countries to agree on something like this has my respect.

You don't need to get those countries to agree to anything. All you need to do is have the CIA hack into their space adminstration centres and post some fake videos after their probes blow up when they hit the big wall that's twenty feet past the moon.

[QUO

You don't need to get those countries to agree to anything. All you need to do is have the CIA hack into their space adminstration centres and post some fake videos after their probes blow up when they hit the big wall that's twenty feet past the moon.

That's NSA's job - get your shadowy government organization acronyms right!

Boy, you people are going to discuss/mock just about any stupid "theory"

It is why at least half of us are here. Mocking willful ignorance is sort of a hobby for me, at least.

The extra special kind of purposeful stupid that generates thought processes that go, "voids as structures??!?? brick buildings and wooden bridges are kinds of structures... stupid scientists think there are buildings in space!!!!11one11!", are particularly entertaining.

I also love telling my friends about the types of people I "meet" here. At least in my circle, people find it hard to believe these folks actually exist... and are usually dismissed as trolls, as no one can believe that anyone is this driven to maintain irrational beliefs.

Makes for great stories.

Boy, you people are going to discuss/mock just about any stupid "theory"

It is why at least half of us are here. Mocking willful ignorance is sort of a hobby for me, at least.

The extra special kind of purposeful stupid that generates thought processes that go, "voids as structures??!?? brick buildings and wooden bridges are kinds of structures... stupid scientists think there are buildings in space!!!!11one11!", are particularly entertaining.

I also love telling my friends about the types of people I "meet" here. At least in my circle, people find it hard to believe these folks actually exist... and are usually dismissed as trolls, as no one can believe that anyone is this driven to maintain irrational beliefs.

Makes for great stories.
I enjoy seeing how deep people are willing to crawl down the rabbit hole to backup their silly conspiracy ideas.

And like you, I also enjoy telling people about the kind of people I find online. They're really not aware of how crazy some of the fringe theorists are on some websites. I'm a member of a couple of forums where all sorts of silly stuff is discussed, alien cities on Mars, Atlantis has been discovered in Antarctica/Greenland/Peru/Algeria/Ukraine/Australia/etc., the missing Malaysian airplane was remotely taken over by the CIA and landed at Diego Garcia where the crew and passengers were murdered so the CIA could get their hands on secret information being carried by one of the passengers, etc. The "New Horizons is a hoax and all the pictures are just CGI!" is just the latest nonsense I'm getting a laugh out of people with.

I want to see if Cerberus is willing to actually defend what he's saying or if he's just going to continue with the cheap one-liners and smiley faces.

the missing Malaysian airplane was remotely taken over by the CIA and landed at Diego Garcia where the crew and passengers were murdered so the CIA could get their hands on secret information being carried by one of the passengers, etc.

Oh god, my sister actually bought into this one. Talk about frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom