• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police abuse thread

http://heavy.com/news/2014/07/police-cop-shoves-dumps-man-wheelchair-tom-davidson-nicholas-kincade-video/

"An Indiana police department finally released the brutality video that got one of its senior officers suspended and almost fired."

While the cop is out of line I don't have much sympathy for the guy. It's apparently uncontested that the guy ran over the cop. That's inexcusable.
Actually if it was a mistake then it is excusable.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, the one I've encountered that ran people over could control her chair well enough, she just didn't bother to. Bouncing off things, hitting people and running them over caused her no problem, everyone made excuses.

When she learned that I would set my shoe to block her chair without getting hurt in the process she very quickly was able to steer around me--at least unless she thought I wasn't looking.
You would set your shoe to block her chair?

If you can't control your chair well enough to avoid doing it you don't belong in public in the first place.

It is as if you and Derec are having a competition to say who can say the most offensive thing possible without actually violating the forum rules.
I suspect they feel like they're being the social gadflies by going against the crowd, but notice that they almost always side with power on issues like this.

http://heavy.com/news/2014/07/police-cop-shoves-dumps-man-wheelchair-tom-davidson-nicholas-kincade-video/

"An Indiana police department finally released the brutality video that got one of its senior officers suspended and almost fired."

While the cop is out of line I don't have much sympathy for the guy. It's apparently uncontested that the guy ran over the cop. That's inexcusable. If you can't control your chair well enough to avoid doing it you don't belong in public in the first place. Besides, the one I've encountered that ran people over could control her chair well enough, she just didn't bother to. Bouncing off things, hitting people and running them over caused her no problem, everyone made excuses.

When she learned that I would set my shoe to block her chair without getting hurt in the process she very quickly was able to steer around me--at least unless she thought I wasn't looking.

I suggest you watch again. The cops ordered the disabled man to move then didn't allow him free and easy passage, practically standing right in the guys way, instead of providing him free and easy egress to leave.

And that you justify the cop's reaction when the cart hits him is disgusting.

While the cop is out of line I don't have much sympathy for the guy. It's apparently uncontested that the guy ran over the cop. That's inexcusable.
Actually if it was a mistake then it is excusable.

You should be able to judge the distance better than that. You certainly don't cut it that close without good reason.

If he can't avoid hitting people then he shouldn't be out in public. If he can this is assault & battery.

Besides, the one I've encountered that ran people over could control her chair well enough, she just didn't bother to. Bouncing off things, hitting people and running them over caused her no problem, everyone made excuses.

You would set your shoe to block her chair?

If I put my foot at about a 45 degree angle her chair couldn't climb it and my foot wouldn't get crushed. I knew she could go around but just didn't bother--I made myself impossible to run over and she quickly learned not to try.

If you can't control your chair well enough to avoid doing it you don't belong in public in the first place.

It is as if you and Derec are having a competition to say who can say the most offensive thing possible without actually violating the forum rules.

You mean because I don't think being in a wheelchair isn't an excuse for uncivilized behavior?

I suppose you think my mother should have been allowed to drive? (She lost her eyes at age 2.) After all, it wasn't her fault she couldn't see as well as we can.

- - - Updated - - -

While the cop is out of line I don't have much sympathy for the guy. It's apparently uncontested that the guy ran over the cop. That's inexcusable. If you can't control your chair well enough to avoid doing it you don't belong in public in the first place. Besides, the one I've encountered that ran people over could control her chair well enough, she just didn't bother to. Bouncing off things, hitting people and running them over caused her no problem, everyone made excuses.

I suggest you watch again. The cops ordered the disabled man to move then didn't allow him free and easy passage, practically standing right in the guys way, instead of providing him free and easy egress to leave.

And that you justify the cop's reaction when the cart hits him is disgusting.

There was enough space to pass safely.

You mean because I don't think being in a wheelchair isn't an excuse for uncivilized behavior?

No, because you think if someone in a wheelchair happens to bump into someone occasionally then tolerating their disability has become such an unwieldy burden on society that the person should be locked-up somewhere.

But then, I don't really know if you actually think that. I do kind of suspect you and Derec are playing a game, sometimes.

It's actually that clever, you know. Anyone can see how the play works. As a group, "people with serious physical disabilities" is not a member of this forum, so you can say all kinds of horrible Nazi-esque shit about them without actually violating the forum rules. Same goes for "black people", "women", and any given victim or rape or murder who doesn't happen to be a member. Even though it doesn't violate any rules, it does really upset most people who encounter it.

It's effective, but it's not clever. Like, if one wanted to upset a group of people in the real and physical space it would be very easy to do it by any number of means, for instance... smearing one's face with shit. I guarantee that'll be at least 90% effective.

It's not that it's clever, though. It's not hard to come up with an idea like that. It's just that most people aren't willing to debase themselves in that way.

How dare that man fail to comply with whatever arbitrary social rules Loren calls "civilized." Physical handicap is no excuse for that unauthorized outburst. How dare he disturb his superiors like that. The height of human endeavor is order and law, and with these tools we shall protect the powerful from having to struggle uncomfortably with conscience when dealing with actual human beings.

So many of these stories come out everyday I thought it'd be good to have a one-stop thread for them.

Here's the first one:

Baltimore police officer slashed dog's throat, authorities say

A Baltimore police officer faces felony animal cruelty charges after he slit the throat of a dog that had escaped from home, authorities said.

Nala, a 7-year-old Chinese shar-pei breed, went missing Saturday from her home in Baltimore.

The same day, officers responded to a call that a dog had bitten a woman. The dog was Nala, whom police restrained using a pole around her neck, authorities said.

Shortly afterward, Officer Jeffrey Bolger cut Nala's throat with a knife, even though she was contained, according to police spokesman Eric Kowalczy.

She later died.

I realize this is a response to an older issue on the thread, but:

First, the officer was without a doubt out of line and there is no excuse for him to take such lethal action, particularly since the dog was contained.

That being said, if I were to be present and a dog bit someone (without being provoked by that person), my utmost priority would be to worry about the person bit and not the dog. In fact, I wouldn't be worried about the dog at all, even if it was my dog. I've owned several dogs. So this aint an anti-doggy rant.

My son was harassed and scared shitless by a loose dog when he was around seven years old. My wife was walking him to school. By her account, the dog circled the boy, barking and snarling, and was nipping at his pantlegs, and Jared was running around in sheer panic. The dog finally let up when my wife and Jared were far enough away from the dog's 'turf', is what I gather. My wife was pretty much helpless because she's terrified of dogs to begin with.

The idiot here was not the dog, but the owner who didn't keep the dog contained on his property and let it run loose. Had I been there, the dog wouldn't have gotten anywhere near my son, and the owner would have gotten a good ass-chewing, were I able to determine who they were.

No, because you think if someone in a wheelchair happens to bump into someone occasionally then tolerating their disability has become such an unwieldy burden on society that the person should be locked-up somewhere.

Sure, accidents happen but this one at best looks like reckless driving to me. A reasonable person does not cut as close as possible to someone else without some need whatever their means of locomotion.

Sure, accidents happen but this one at best looks like reckless driving to me. A reasonable person does not cut as close as possible to someone else without some need whatever their means of locomotion.

So when you were bumped into by the person on the scooter, was your response to push him over onto the ground? Do you think that is an appropriate response for anyone?

So when you were bumped into by the person on the scooter, was your response to push him over onto the ground? Do you think that is an appropriate response for anyone?

No--I agree the cop overreacted. I just said I had little sympathy because the guy provoked it.

http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/features...cerinvolved-collision-6140.shtml#.U_46Fmcg-Un

"The light was red, I had come to a stop, I was only there for about a few seconds and then it turned green and I barely started to accelerate,” she said.

She said that’s when an EPPD cruiser came speeding through a red light, with no sirens or lights, and smashed into her car.

"The thing that I recall is just seeing the police logo right in front of me and of course I had no time to react -- that's just how fast he was going, there were no lights or sirens that even alerted anybody that he was around,” she said. “I hit the driver’s side of the police car, and then it spun out and hit two other cars.”

KFOX14 obtained the police report for the crash. It says investigating officer Leilani Ramos wrote that Allyson was the one who ran the red light. She was cited for that and Ramos gave her a speeding ticket.

I often get the impression that the job self-selects for authoritarian personalities with poor impulse control, and that this is further encouraged by the work culture.
I think better psych screenings for police academy admission might be a good idea.

I know that police advise to cooperate with the robber during a robbery; resistance makes the robber fell like they're losing control, and that's when they're dangerous. But a cop is not much different. They need tools that are not weapons iow training.

I don't have much faith in psychological screening. I bet they're gamed.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/24/3702695_sc-trooper-charged-with-felony.html?sp=/99/205/&rh=1

http://gawker.com/trigger-happy-cop-shoots-unarmed-driver-in-just-release-1638993749

According to The State, the shooting happened on September 4, and Jones spent time in the hospital but is recovering. The video shows [Trooper] Groubert shooting at Jones at least three times after Jones reaches for his license, which Groubert instructed him to do. He continues to shoot and yells "get on the ground" after Jones puts his hands up. Jones then calls out offscreen, "What did I do, sir?... I can't feel my leg."

http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/24/3702695_sc-trooper-charged-with-felony.html?sp=/99/205/&rh=1

http://gawker.com/trigger-happy-cop-shoots-unarmed-driver-in-just-release-1638993749

According to The State, the shooting happened on September 4, and Jones spent time in the hospital but is recovering. The video shows [Trooper] Groubert shooting at Jones at least three times after Jones reaches for his license, which Groubert instructed him to do. He continues to shoot and yells "get on the ground" after Jones puts his hands up. Jones then calls out offscreen, "What did I do, sir?... I can't feel my leg."

If South Carolina can arrest and fire an officer for an unprovoked shooting, why can't other states? Like, Missouri, for instance.

Back
Top Bottom