• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/n0oyw2/baton_rouge_pd_narcotics_officer_exposes

So, not a direct link to the story, but rather the reddit post, because both the story and some initial commentary are available there...

Essentially, good cop (obviously, he was fired for it) rolls on bad cops. Baton Rouge is full of them. Plenty of additional first hand stories* are available there of even more police abuses!

*It's reddit, so no guarantees...

A lawsuit for what? A policy that if they catch a shoplifter the shoplifter can't get out of it by simply paying?

Sorry, but the real problem here is that someone like this was living unsupervised. Her daughter being able to see her house isn't enough for a dementia patient!
There is zero evidence that the woman intentionally shoplifted.

FFS, if that were the standard, I should have been shot dead in a shopping mall parking lot years ago! Trust me: I unintentionally shoplifted more than once—and went back when I discovered my mistake to pay for or return merchandise. BTW I was a long way from having dementia at the time.

But as always, your sense of magnitude and compassion never fail to astonish me.

I don't think she intentionally shoplifted. And the cops certainly handled it wrong.

I'm saying I don't think Wal-Mart did anything wrong here, somebody that forgetful isn't safe walking around.

A lawsuit for what? A policy that if they catch a shoplifter the shoplifter can't get out of it by simply paying?

Sorry, but the real problem here is that someone like this was living unsupervised. Her daughter being able to see her house isn't enough for a dementia patient!

FFS, if that were the standard, I should have been shot dead in a shopping mall parking lot years ago! Trust me: I unintentionally shoplifted more than once—and went back when I discovered my mistake to pay for or return merchandise. BTW I was a long way from having dementia at the time.

But as always, your sense of magnitude and compassion never fail to astonish me.

I don't think she intentionally shoplifted. And the cops certainly handled it wrong.

I'm saying I don't think Wal-Mart did anything wrong here, somebody that forgetful isn't safe walking around.
how unsafe is it?

The only thing she needed to be saved from are those sadistically cruel cops.

Walmart did a few things wrong. First of all, when they confronted the lady, she immediately offered to pay for the items she unintentionally shoplifted but they refused to allow her to do so. Do you have any idea how many times people unintentionally walk out of stores with something they didn't mean to take? I've done it myself, more than once. I've never had anyone be rude or unpleasant or say anything other than thank you when I returned the item (and sometimes cash if they gave me too much change) and paid for it. Of course, I don't shop at Walmart on principle because of all the big boxes, Walmart is by far the worst in my estimation.

So, they could have been kind and allowed her to pay for the items if she wanted to and was able to. They could have offered to call her a ride. If they were concerned about her welfare as decent human beings might be, they could possibly have called the police and mentioned that they had an elderly guest who seemed confused and they were worried about her welfare and asked for a welfare check. BTW, this should not have been difficult to do. Walmart has a long long history of being responsible for more than any store's share of police calls for theft and other offenses. They should be on a first name basis with every police officer on the force. But I strongly suspect that the Walmart employee responsible was following corporate policy and Walmart should be sued for an enormous settlement in this elder abuse case. Perhaps that will force it to change at least one of its (in my best guess) policies.

That would have been the decent thing to do.

The officers should be fired after the investigation is complete. Every single one of their actions was despicable and inhumane and I would imagine, against departmental policy. I hope her family wins their federal law suit. I hope they successfully sue Walmart over the egregious way she was treated. What was taken from this poor woman is incalculable.

Judge Says Columbus Police Ran 'Amok' Against Protesters; Restricts Use Of Force

A federal judge has ordered police in Columbus, Ohio, to stop using force including tear gas, pepper spray and rubber bullets against nonviolent protesters, ruling that officers ran "amok" during last summer's protests of the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Judge Algenon Marbley of the Southern District of Ohio described the actions of the Columbus police as "the sad tale of officers, clothed with the awesome power of the state, run amok."

He opened his 88-page opinion with a quote from Martin Luther King Jr.: "But somewhere I read of the freedom of assembly. Somewhere I read of the freedom of speech. Somewhere I read of the freedom of press. Somewhere I read that the greatness of America is the right to protest for rights."

Marbley sided with the 26 plaintiffs who protested last summer, ruling that "unfortunately, some of the members of the Columbus Police Department had no regard for the rights secured by this bedrock principle of American democracy." Columbus police used force "indiscriminately" and without provocation during the widespread protests last May and June, he wrote.

In addition to alleging extreme nonlethal tactics used by police on otherwise nonviolent protesters, the lawsuit also accused police of collective punishment — responding to a single protester "who threw a water bottle, harassed or taunted an officer" by indiscriminately pepper-spraying or tear-gassing the whole group, according to Marbley. "What is more, [officers] sometimes failed to give audible warnings or adequate time to disperse before resorting to less-lethal force," the judge wrote.

Bail Bondsman shooting her charge/customer who was also a potential source of lost revenue if he fled.

Not a cop, but a convenience store owner, who went too far in my opinion. Even if the "customer" was extremely rude or shoplifted, that is not an excuse to hit him the third tie with a jagged wine bottle neck that is as dangerous as a knife.

Not sure the punishment, but maybe something like a warning citation to track that he does not get out of control when even righteously pissed off. He is at a risk of killing somebody. Not that I want to get all Portland Mayor, but even red meat Texas type attitudes towards assholes and criminals have a limit.

The guy punching the window also deserves some punishment, but not his miserable life. The clerk or maybe store owner can get one mulligan for this act, but if he bottles another guy leaving the store, he needs to be charged.

https://twitter.com/SpinninBackfist/status/1390349271225061377

Someone who knows about Brazil might want to make a thread about the massive turkey shoot that just happened there.

Holy Crap!

Not a cop, but a convenience store owner, who went too far in my opinion. Even if the "customer" was extremely rude or shoplifted, that is not an excuse to hit him the third tie with a jagged wine bottle neck that is as dangerous as a knife.

Not sure the punishment, but maybe something like a warning citation to track that he does not get out of control when even righteously pissed off. He is at a risk of killing somebody. Not that I want to get all Portland Mayor, but even red meat Texas type attitudes towards assholes and criminals have a limit.

The guy punching the window also deserves some punishment, but not his miserable life. The clerk or maybe store owner can get one mulligan for this act, but if he bottles another guy leaving the store, he needs to be charged.

That looks like aggravated assault or assault with a deadly weapon to me--I think that clerk is going to jail.

That looks like aggravated assault or assault with a deadly weapon to me--I think that clerk is going to jail.
convenient it wasn't a clerk

The clerk got arrested. If he is not the store owner as well, I don't understand how he could have gotten that worked up. Not that even a store owner should have done that.

Apparently he was asking customers to count the money they were giving him and....

AOC, 'Squad' members promote 'Defund the Police' but spend thousands on private security | Fox News - "Bush has spent the most on security services so far this year"

As self-styled "conservatives", one would expect them to applaud these people for taking responsibility for their protection, but they don't. One would also expect them to want an end to depending on government for protection, but they don't. Instead, they want government protection at no cost to them, if their whining about taxes is any guide.

Fox News worked from Federal Election Commission filings.

AOC once stated that she doesn't trust the local cops very much, and that she prefers to let her neighbors watch out for her. In effect, being vigilantes.
Meanwhile, however, Ocasio-Cortez has paid $3,000 per month on a New York-based "security consultant" service since December, 2020, though she was spending $5,000 per month on the same security consultant beginning May 5, 2020, as The Daily Caller first reported.

Since the start of 2021, she has spent more than $25,000 on "security" costs dated Jan. 25; more than $1,500 on security detail for a February trip to Houston after a shocking winter storm devastated the area; nearly $4,000 on "security services" dated Jan. 19; and nearly $850 on "security services" dated Feb. 2.

Ayanna Pressley:
Pressley's own safety system, however, cost nearly $4,200 in 2021, FEC filings show.

The congresswoman spent nearly $2,300 and about $250 on security services from Massachusetts-based firms in January and March; about $1,260 on security services from a Virginia-based firm in January; $675 on ADT security services in March; and $700 on security services from a Washington, D.C.-based firm in March.

Ilhan Omar:
The Minnesota lawmaker, however, has spent upwards of $3,100 on security-related services so far in 2021. That includes a monthly payment of about $67 to a Minneapolis-based firm -- as well as an additional $200 to the same firm on Jan. 29 -- and $2,700 on "security services" from a different Minneapolis firm.

Cori Bush:
But Bush has spent the most on security services so far this year compared to her other progressive colleagues. In 2021 alone, Bush spent more than $30,000 on "security services" from different companies.

Bush has spent $5,000 per month on services from a security consulting company based in California; more than $1,500 total on security from another Maryland-based firm in January; $5,000 on security from a Missouri-based firm in January; more than $7,700 on security from a New York-based firm in February; and more than $8,200 on services from a New-York based security company.

Nothing on Rashida Tlaib, however.

$10M settlement in Andre Hill shooting case

The City of Columbus, Ohio, has agreed to deliver a settlement of $10 million to Andre Hill’s family.

Hill, a 47-year-old Black man, was shot to death by former Columbus police officer Adam Coy, who is white, on Dec. 22. Coy has been charged with murder, felonious assault, and reckless homicide in the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Coy, a 19-year police force veteran, was terminated by the City of Columbus shortly after the incident.

Coy and another officer were responding to a nonemergency 911 call about a car in front of the caller's house, according to audio from the released call. Body camera footage showed Hill coming out of a garage with a cellphone in his hand, just seconds before being shot by Coy. Coy hadn't activated his body camera, but the device's automatic "look back" feature captured the shooting without audio. Minutes passed before officers gave Hill medical attention.

Coy's defense attorney told ABC 6 that he mistook a ring worn by Hill for a revolver.

Back
Top Bottom