• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Firing on officers pretty much is a one-way street to personal harm. But, 8 officers effectively emptying their clips into the guy? Had he not fired, he might still be alive, maybe not.
Each officer is making their own decision about whether to shoot, there's no time for coordination. 8 officers means about 2 seconds of fire from each officer--not unreasonable.

He would most certainly be alive. What I wonder is, why did he run for a minor traffic stop? Why did he shoot at police? Esp. when he supposedly had no criminal record.
I think another shoe will probably drop giving us more of a context, just like it did for Michael Brown, the original cause celebre of #BLM insurrectionists.

Btw., this is Jayland.

View attachment 39299

From his Insta account, which is unfortunately set to private. Not sure how much longer it will be up at all though.
Is this the gun he used to shoot at police?
Yeah, people who pose for pics with guns are generally up to no good.

He would most certainly be alive. What I wonder is, why did he run for a minor traffic stop? Why did he shoot at police? Esp. when he supposedly had no criminal record.
I think another shoe will probably drop giving us more of a context, just like it did for Michael Brown, the original cause celebre of #BLM insurrectionists.

Btw., this is Jayland.

View attachment 39299

From his Insta account, which is unfortunately set to private. Not sure how much longer it will be up at all though.
Agreed.

newFile-1.jpg

Could this be St. Jayland?
FWxYwRsXoAYw2lB.jpeg
He was reportedly wearing a ski mask when he was shot.

If that's him, that must be why he fled from police (twice, he got away the day before) and shot at police.

I wonder how each of us would look just listing our misconducts?

I also wonder how many more posts would a thread listing "How the police helped today." Assuming we addressed that with the same vigor that is.

Btw., this is Jayland.

View attachment 39299

Agreed.

newFile-1.jpg
That's not a rebuttal. She's just up to different no good.

View attachment 39312

If that's him, that must be why he fled from police (twice, he got away the day before) and shot at police.
Do we have any evidence that the dead guy had the same attire? Otherwise why should we think there is any relationship?

Do we have any evidence that the dead guy had the same attire?
The robbery these photos are from is from a different day, not the day JW was shot. So I would not expect him to have the same clothes on.
Otherwise why should we think there is any relationship?
Well it's mostly the ski mask. The perp from the previous robbery had a ski mask that is similar, if not the same as the one JW was wearing.
And obviously, people don't usually wear ski masks when driving. So I strongly suspect he was on his way to rob (another) place when police attempted to stop him.
FWxD9J8WAAMHHLQ.jpeg

P.S.: The grey shirt does look similar as well, though.

So this link has the body camera footage. I didn't watch it all, I don't watch killings. But what caught my attention was the initial screen shot, of an officer standing within 20 feet of the car... completely and utterly without a shred of cover protecting him. What in the fuck is that officer thinking?! It appeared multiple officers decided to put themselves into a dangerously exposed positions, which is a common tactical error that is usually followed by officers killing someone for their own safety.

This article goes into details of the police video, for those that don't watch snuff videos.

Among the curiosities is that the victim had on a ski mask. For those unaware, it hasn't been that cold in June/July, so having a ski mask is a tad bit suspicious.

Today on, "all black people look alike".

So this link has the body camera footage. I didn't watch it all, I don't watch killings. But what caught my attention was the initial screen shot, of an officer standing within 20 feet of the car... completely and utterly without a shred of cover protecting him. What in the fuck is that officer thinking?! It appeared multiple officers decided to put themselves into a dangerously exposed positions, which is a common tactical error that is usually followed by officers killing someone for their own safety.
What cover existed there to be behind? And cover is completely useless when the objective is to arrest the person--you have to approach to do that.

What cover existed there to be behind? And cover is completely useless when the objective is to arrest the person--you have to approach to do that.
I can damn well guarantee that I could have found some cover.

Then, I'm not some lackadaisical, incompetent cop.

As it is arresting can absolutely start from a position of cover, from the stepping stones of "negotiation" and "talking down the situation".

The issue is that we have so many officers who have never even had such concepts broached to them so as to even try it.

This article goes into details of the police video, for those that don't watch snuff videos.

Among the curiosities is that the victim had on a ski mask. For those unaware, it hasn't been that cold in June/July, so having a ski mask is a tad bit suspicious.
Major understatement. It's pretty obvious this is an armed robber who didn't realize the police were only trying to ticket him. (Although it's also possible that there were other issues that would have come to light in ticketing him.) The body cameras have the usual problem of jerking about as the officers run, I can't see what caused them to fire but since he turned to face them after having previously fired a shot at them it wouldn't take much.

As it is arresting can absolutely start from a position of cover, from the stepping stones of "negotiation" and "talking down the situation".
Does the word "pursuit" not mean anything to you? How do you negotiate and talk down when they're running away?

Does the word "pursuit" not mean anything to you? How do you negotiate and talk down when they're running away?
Certainly not by shooting the running-away person in the back.

Let them flee and track them down later.

It's interesting insofar as my cat had a problem with "fleeing" bedtime, but he cut that shit out and goes to the bedroom for bedtime these days all on his own. Because he understands the futility of running.

I expect that most humans are at least as smart as a cat in being able to be taught the lesson that fleeing the inevitable is kind of pointless.

Major understatement. It's pretty obvious this is an armed robber who didn't realize the police were only trying to ticket him. (Although it's also possible that there were other issues that would have come to light in ticketing him.) The body cameras have the usual problem of jerking about as the officers run, I can't see what caused them to fire but since he turned to face them after having previously fired a shot at them it wouldn't take much.
It isn't "pretty obvious" he was an armed robber. Having the ski mask is certainly not working anywhere in his favor, but that he didn't have say... loot, would indicate he hadn't robbed anyone, recently. The Akron Police would be all over that if there were any signs that he had robbed some place. Also, there aren't many places to rob at that time of night in Akron.

Regarding reasons to shoot, I'm pretty certain their unprofessional tactics that led to a complete lack of cover required them to act hastily in self-defense to any movement the suspect made. I doubt any officer was planning on killing anyone that night, but their failure to remain diligent lead to way too many bullets flying, killing an unarmed suspect.

This isn't to say the suspect didn't fuck up. And had he shot at the cops from the car, that is a fuck up to the power of a fuck up. But the officers are supposed to be able to handle situations.

It doesn't even matter if he was a criminal. He had a right to due process. Officers don't have the privilege of hindsight but these officers shot hindsight 60 times so I don't give a fuck about what they thought at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom