• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Want to hear the NRA’s take on this one.

guy gets back from a business trip, thinks that his house might have been broken into. So he takes out his rifle and starts checking around the house. A neighbor sees it, and calls the police, telling them that his neighbor is checking out their house so they can come and help him. The police show up, no lights or siren, yell “drop the gun” and shoot him. I’m not sure they even finished saying the three words before firing. Plenty of time to react and drop the gun of course… if you are the Flash. quite a few police shootings seem to involve shouting orders to someone who doesn’t even know the police are there, and killing them because they took more than a millisecond to react.

I saw that last week. They hadn't even finished getting the words "Drop the gun!" out of their mouths and they shot him.

The Colorado Springs police recently beat a homeless veteran senseless after a stop for a car tag. The raw video of the beating on the following link is graphic and disturbing, so watch at your own discretion. There is also a Youtube video where a civil rights lawyer walks us through the footage. I don't know what to say - they beat a man senseless following a stop for car plates, with the officers extending the stop because they allegedly smelled weed (which is legal in Colorado). The man was not aggressive, and posed no threat to any of the officers. The cops were caught celebrating the beating after the event on their own bodycams. The cops have NOT been charged with any crimes, and no disciplinary action has been taken so far against them.

https://thecivilrightslawyer.com/
Newsone story
Denver Post link to story
Victim's GoFundMe Page

The Colorado Springs police recently beat a homeless veteran senseless after a stop for a car tag. The raw video of the beating on the following link is graphic and disturbing, so watch at your own discretion. There is also a Youtube video where a civil rights lawyer walks us through the footage. I don't know what to say - they beat a man senseless following a stop for car plates, with the officers extending the stop because they allegedly smelled weed (which is legal in Colorado). The man was not aggressive, and posed no threat to any of the officers. The cops were caught celebrating the beating after the event on their own bodycams. The cops have NOT been charged with any crimes, and no disciplinary action has been taken so far against them.

https://thecivilrightslawyer.com/
Newsone story
Denver Post link to story
Victim's GoFundMe Page
Yup, the sort of police violence that actually is an issue.

Force was justified (note how it goes peacefully until the guy decided not to get out of his car), but not as much force as they used.

He got off easy IMO. If a neighbor did the wellness check like he did, got startled by someone in a window and shoots into the house killing the occupant they would have been crucified. But because he had police training, should have known better & did it on the victim's dime he got better treatment. Ass backwards society.

I saw that last week. They hadn't even finished getting the words "Drop the gun!" out of their mouths and they shot him.
Just like what happened to Tamir Rice.

I don't buy the "I was wetting my pants defense". As I have mentioned before, one of my sons served in a war zone in Afghanistan. His unit was not permitted to shoot unless they were being shot at. He patrolled in an area where every adult male had an automatic weapon. I think if young soldiers can be taught to withhold fire, police officers can learn the same skill/patience/courage.

Really, wtf is wrong with our society when we let those with the authority of the state get away with such cowardly killings.

He got off easy IMO. If a neighbor did the wellness check like he did, got startled by someone in a window and shoots into the house killing the occupant they would have been crucified. But because he had police training, should have known better & did it on the victim's dime he got better treatment. Ass backwards society.
My sentiments exactly.

He got off easy IMO.
BS. Mohammed Noor got mere five years for shooting and murdering an innocent woman.

But he has double privilege - black privilege and Muslim privilege, so he gets off with far less time.
His victim was also white, and thus counts far less in today's society as well.

As I have mentioned before, one of my sons served in a war zone in Afghanistan. His unit was not permitted to shoot unless they were being shot at.
And the war in Afghanistan turned out so well? Maybe rules of engagement should not have been so crazy restrictive.

As I have mentioned before, one of my sons served in a war zone in Afghanistan. His unit was not permitted to shoot unless they were being shot at.
And the war in Afghanistan turned out so well? Maybe rules of engagement should not have been so crazy restrictive.
Anyone who thinks that the Afghanistan war would have turned out substantially different if the US had been more brutal ignores the history of Afghanistan as well as basic reasoning.

FYI, just about every military and almost every police force in the civilised world has the exact same ROE.
BS. Mohammed Noor got mere five years for shooting and murdering an innocent woman.
Ah yes. The one and only police shooting you are willing to condemn. Still a complete mystery as to why. US cops shoot innocents all the time, but this one really bothers you for some reason. One of life's little conundrums suppose.

He got off easy IMO.

But he has double privilege - black privilege and Muslim privilege, so he gets off with far less time.

WTF are you talking about? I believe he got off easy too so not sure why you leapfrogging my post as if I stated the contrary. Look I know you nut in your draws at every opportunity to disagree with me but you really ought to get a different type of grip.

Anyone who thinks that the Afghanistan war would have turned out substantially different if the US had been more brutal ignores the history of Afghanistan as well as basic reasoning.
Define "brutal". I do not think shooting at your enemies is "brutal" - it's what soldiers are supposed to do!
These rules did put Taliban and other enemies at a tactical advantage. Now, of course, that would not be enough to turn the tide, but it was one sign of the failed approach US took to the war. 20 years of containment and keeping the status quo instead of decisively moving to destroy the Taliban.

FYI, just about every military and almost every police force in the civilised world has the exact same ROE.
[citation needed]
This ROE gives a significant tactical advantage to the enemy (for military) or thugs (for police).
Specifically for police, saying that police are not allowed to fire at an armed perp before he fires a free shot puts the thugs at an advantage. It would mean more dead cops (something the woke left would welcome, I know) and more thugs who are able to prevail in an encounter with cops.
Ah yes. The one and only police shooting you are willing to condemn.
Wrong! There are others I condemn. But this is the one case where the #BLM/woke left has a lot of understanding for the shooter and do not think the sentence is too light. I wonder why ...

US cops shoot innocents all the time,
That is false. Vast majority of US police shootings are justified, and even in the cases where police made a mistake, most of those still involve a thug.

but this one really bothers you for some reason. One of life's little conundrums suppose.
Because his sentence reflects black and Muslim privilege. 12 years is "getting off easy" for a white cop, but 5 years for a black Muslim cop is not? GTFO!

Define "brutal". I do not think shooting at your enemies is "brutal" - it's what soldiers are supposed to do!
According to my son who was on the patrols, every male had a fire arm. Not every male was the enemy. In fact, most of the population just wanted peace. Shooting people because they are armed is brutal and it is counterproductive to building trust.
These rules did put Taliban and other enemies at a tactical advantage. Now, of course, that would not be enough to turn the tide, but it was one sign of the failed approach US took to the war. 20 years of containment and keeping the status quo instead of decisively moving to destroy the Taliban.
Once again, you have no idea what you are on about. No country has every successfully subdued or conquered Afghanistan.

He got off easy IMO.

Don't you ever get tired of riding the same inane ("black privilege and Muslim privilege") hobby horses?

According to my son who was on the patrols, every male had a fire arm. Not every male was the enemy. In fact, most of the population just wanted peace. Shooting people because they are armed is brutal and it is counterproductive to building trust.
Fair enough. I did not say they should shoot everyone.
But if they identify a Taliban or ISIS cell they should be able to blast them to Kingdom come even if the enemy does not shoot first.
And if somebody points a weapon at you, you should be able to to shoot them without giving them the advantage of shooting first. That goes for soldiers and police officers alike.

Once again, you have no idea what you are on about. No country has every successfully subdued or conquered Afghanistan.
I am not talking about conquering. I am talking about destroying the Taliban, so that Afghanistan has a chance to develop economically and socially.

Don't you ever get tired of riding the same inane ("black privilege and Muslim privilege") hobby horses?
How do you explain the low sentence he got? Or that the woke left/#BLM have a lot of understanding for him, unlike for any white cop who shoots anybody black.

Back
Top Bottom