• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

I do not think shooting at your enemies is "brutal" - it's what soldiers are supposed to do!
Sure. But shooting at people who might not be your enemies is brutal.

It's what soldiers are NOT supposed to do.

Hence rules of engagement that require enemies to identify themselves (in this case, by shooting at you) before you are permitted to shoot at them.

Don't you ever get tired of riding the same inane ("black privilege and Muslim privilege") hobby horses?
How do you explain the low sentence he got? Or that the woke left/#BLM have a lot of understanding for him, unlike for any white cop who shoots anybody black.
This has been explained a number of times. Mr. Noor's murder conviction was tossed out by the MN Supreme Court. His 4.5 year sentence is for the manslaughter charge. That is a fact. Whether you or I think that sentence is appropriate is not relevant to that fact.

You have produced not a single bit of tangible evidence outside of Mr. Noor's ethnicity or the religion of the Mn attorney general to show that Mr. Noor's ethnicity or religion helped him get a lesser sentence.

On the otherhand, Mr. Noor was sentenced to more time than Timothy Loehmann (the killer of Tamir Rice). Hmmm.

According to my son who was on the patrols, every male had a fire arm. Not every male was the enemy. In fact, most of the population just wanted peace. Shooting people because they are armed is brutal and it is counterproductive to building trust.
Fair enough. I did not say they should shoot everyone.
But if they identify a Taliban or ISIS cell they should be able to blast them to Kingdom come even if the enemy does not shoot first.
And if somebody points a weapon at you, you should be able to to shoot them without giving them the advantage of shooting first. That goes for soldiers and police officers alike.
Thankfully, you were not in charge.
Once again, you have no idea what you are on about. No country has every successfully subdued or conquered Afghanistan.
I am not talking about conquering. I am talking about destroying the Taliban, so that Afghanistan has a chance to develop economically and socially.
You are talking about subduing Afghanistan. Afghanistan has a long history going back centuries of resisting outside "help".

Again, is that because you think Afghanistan worked out so well with the policy you support?
Taliban begins to enforce education ban, leaving Afghan women with tears and anger

You are talking about subduing Afghanistan. Afghanistan has a long history going back centuries of resisting outside "help".
No reason that, if we are there anyway, not to decisively root out Taliban.
20 years of half measures bore no fruit, is my point.

Again, is that because you think Afghanistan worked out so well with the policy you support?
Taliban begins to enforce education ban, leaving Afghan women with tears and anger
Leaving women in tears and anger is your bag, not mine.
No reason that, if we are there anyway, not to decisively root out Taliban.
20 years of half measures bore no fruit, is my point.
The historical point is that 20 years of full measures would have not borne any fruit. Unless, of course, you are advocating the genocide of the brown population of Afghanistan. Are you?

This has been explained a number of times. Mr. Noor's murder conviction was tossed out by the MN Supreme Court. His 4.5 year sentence is for the manslaughter charge. That is a fact. Whether you or I think that sentence is appropriate is not relevant to that fact.
Appropriateness of the sentence to the crime is very relevant. Especially when compared to what white cops get for similar mistakes.
The politically biased MN court disgusts me. As does the Nation of Islam supporter Keith Ellison.

You have produced not a single bit of tangible evidence outside of Mr. Noor's ethnicity or the religion of the Mn attorney general to show that Mr. Noor's ethnicity or religion helped him get a lesser sentence.
The MN attorney general had the option of retying Noor on a murder charge. He was very aggressive against Chauvin, but very weak against Noor. You really think is has nothing to with the fact that Ellison is not only a black Muslim but also a supporter of the racist "Nation of Islam"?

On the otherhand, Mr. Noor was sentenced to more time than Timothy Loehmann (the killer of Tamir Rice). Hmmm.
Loehman was not even charged with a crime. Note that Tamir Rice was, for all intents and purposes, armed, as he was in possession of a realistic replica firearm. Such replica firearms are frequently used to commit robberies, as they look just like the real deal.
Take Tyre King (yes, his real name) as an example. Only a year older than Rice, King used his replica firearm to rob a person, which resulted in him getting shot by police.

How so? You are the one giving tacit support to the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan.

The historical point is that 20 years of full measures would have not borne any fruit.
How do you know?
Unless, of course, you are advocating the genocide of the brown population of Afghanistan. Are you?
Not genocide. Killing enemy combatants is not genocide. I have not advocated killing civilians.

Hence rules of engagement that require enemies to identify themselves (in this case, by shooting at you) before you are permitted to shoot at them.
Which are too restrictive. One can identify an enemy combatant without having to allow them to shoot you first.
Same goes for thugs on US streets.

Yeah it's possible for one to be able to identify an enemy combatant without having to allow to shoot you first but definitely not possible for all. Rules of engagement are there for that reason. Ya know, because some good guys don't want to shoot other good guys just because some bad guy shot a good guy in the past.

But then again if bad guy is determined by appearances, for example dark brown skin then the rules are silly. Am I right?

How so? You are the one giving tacit support to the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan.
You are babbling straw men again. Pointing out actual US army policy cannot rationally be confused with tacit support for the Taliban takeover of anything.
The historical point is that 20 years of full measures would have not borne any fruit.
How do you know?
History. Learn some.
Unless, of course, you are advocating the genocide of the brown population of Afghanistan. Are you?
Not genocide. Killing enemy combatants is not genocide. I have not advocated killing civilians.
Actually you have - indiscriminately killing people who you think are pointing firearms at you.

You are babbling straw men again. Pointing out actual US army policy cannot rationally be confused with tacit support for the Taliban takeover of anything.
No, but your claim that we should not have tried to destroy Taliban is.

History. Learn some.
History is not a Groundhog Day loop.

Actually you have - indiscriminately killing people who you think are pointing firearms at you.
Killing people who point guns at you is not part of the definition of genocide.
People pointing guns at you are a clear and present threat and should be dealt with accordingly.

But then again if bad guy is determined by appearances, for example dark brown skin then the rules are silly. Am I right?
Dark brown skin has nothing to do with it. Behavior does.
How about Corlunda McGinister. Should police have waited until she was able to get off a shot off? Or is her holding an employee hostage enough to identify her as "the bad guy"?

No, but your claim that we should not have tried to destroy Taliban is.
Sigh - you cannot eradicate a long-standing deeply ingrained culture without eradicating the people.
History. Learn some.
History is not a Groundhog Day loop.
No one said it was. But ignoring history is a surefire way of making a mistake.
Killing people who point guns at you is not part of the definition of genocide.
People pointing guns at you are a clear and present threat and should be dealt with accordingly.
Not necessarily. Apparently the US Army felt differently and the policy worked: relations with the locals improved and no one was killed.

In this instance, your position is truly ignorance-based nonsense.

I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity involved in thinking cops treating citizens as potential enemy combatants is a good idea. And in case anyone thinks that's only an extreme point of view, David Grossman is still providing courses and police unions are still paying for them.

Dark brown skin has nothing to do with it. Behavior does.
How about Corlunda McGinister. Should police have waited until she was able to get off a shot off? Or is her holding an employee hostage enough to identify her as "the bad guy"?

Wow. So because one woman held someone hostage at Walmart police have never misinterpreted a situation and opened fire on a non threat. Like for example that caretaker who was laying down next to a patient who was sitting down on the ground in the middle of the street with no obstructed view yelling all the info the police needed to gauge the situation. But instead of confirming what's going on one opened fire. Or that time a cop shot and killed a child because a toy gun was missing the orange tip. Or that time a man in a wheelchair was shot multiple times because the cop thought he was john wick.

Come on man. Stop playing games with other peoples lives just to win arguments on the internet.

Jeremy Lee Thompson, 34, sat in his Honda Accord outside a Dollar General in south Alabama on a Sunday evening last May, clutching his chest and mouthing that he needed help. When police arrived, Thompson told them he was having a stroke, according to a federal lawsuit filed last month.

Instead of taking him to the hospital, police booked him in the Geneva County jail, dropped him in a restraint for an hour and a half and gave him Ketamine, costing him his life, the suit alleges.

“The officers brought Thompson into the jail by supporting him as Thompson’s feet dragged on the ground,” states the complaint filed in federal court in Alabama’s Middle District last month.

The suit names two City of Geneva officers, Brandon Rogers and Ethan Hendrix. Attorneys for the defendants have not yet filed an answer to the complaint. An attorney for the two officers did not respond to a request for comment.

After Thompson was finally taken to a hospital, according to the complaint, he was pronounced dead from a heart attack. An autopsy report, according to the suit, later stated the cause of death as “Toxic effects of Methamphetamine.”

That same officer is supposed to be trusted with other life or death situations. Derec see's no problem with that.

Jeremy Lee Thompson, 34, sat in his Honda Accord outside a Dollar General in south Alabama on a Sunday evening last May, clutching his chest and mouthing that he needed help. When police arrived, Thompson told them he was having a stroke, according to a federal lawsuit filed last month.

Instead of taking him to the hospital, police booked him in the Geneva County jail, dropped him in a restraint for an hour and a half and gave him Ketamine, costing him his life, the suit alleges.

“The officers brought Thompson into the jail by supporting him as Thompson’s feet dragged on the ground,” states the complaint filed in federal court in Alabama’s Middle District last month.

The suit names two City of Geneva officers, Brandon Rogers and Ethan Hendrix. Attorneys for the defendants have not yet filed an answer to the complaint. An attorney for the two officers did not respond to a request for comment.

After Thompson was finally taken to a hospital, according to the complaint, he was pronounced dead from a heart attack. An autopsy report, according to the suit, later stated the cause of death as “Toxic effects of Methamphetamine.”
Clutching his chest and claimed stroke? Huh?

And a heart attack at 34? Covid or drugs. The cause of death is probably correct although the delayed treatment sure didn't help.

Clutching his chest and claimed stroke? Huh?

And a heart attack at 34? Covid or drugs. The cause of death is probably correct although the delayed treatment sure didn't help.
Ketamine didn't help either. Those officers are toast. At least they should be

Back
Top Bottom