• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

Non-lethal was tried and failed.
Failure isn't necessarily a sign that the attempt was futile; It can equally be a sign that the attempt was incompetent.
Two taser shots, both ineffective. That strongly suggests his clothes were enough to stop tasers--not uncommon in cold weather.
...and it goes without saying that this leaves no alternative whatsoever than to shoot the man dead. :rolleyesa:

I'm suggesting the cops should be competent. I said nothing whatsoever about tasers, and "Taser" isn't a synonym for "competently disarm a person with no legs".

You appear to be having a fantasy conversation about a fantasy situation.
No, you're the one with the fantasy situation--you're not addressing the facts.

This was no an unreasonable level of risk - as the link marc presented.

I saw the video. When an officer dumped him out of his wheel chair, that was the closest any of them got to him. The officers didn't even try to surround him or cut off his escape.
I already addressed that link. The situation is in no way comparable, his link involved someone who stayed in place long enough for a bunch of police to bring riot shields to the situation.

This case involved a guy who wasn't staying put--it was not a standoff that could be resolved by bringing in a bunch of officers. Thus his link proves nothing other than you don't want to address the facts.

Encarnacion found herself holding the case file for the notorious killing of Mario Romero, a young father whose death at the hands of Vallejo police in 2012 sparked citywide protests.
Why are these news outlets always so obsessed with the reproductive status of people shot by police?
I find your question rather ironic given your penchant to dredge any irrelevant negative detail about a black shooting victim of the police.

To an ordinary human being, a report that someone was a father (or a mother) informs the reader that the person had at least a child. While that may not interest you, it may interest others.
It has no bearing on the case other than to try to inflame the viewer.

I saw the video. When an officer dumped him out of his wheel chair, that was the closest any of them got to him. The officers didn't even try to surround him or cut off his escape.
I already addressed that link. The situation is in no way comparable, his link involved someone who stayed in place long enough for a bunch of police to bring riot shields to the situation.

This case involved a guy who wasn't staying put--it was not a standoff that could be resolved by bringing in a bunch of officers. Thus his link proves nothing other than you don't want to address the facts.
He stayed in place because he had been surrounded. And it is not that hard to catch up and surr a guy with half legs. Try addressing actual facts instead of mythic scenarios

you're not addressing the facts.
It's a fact that a group of trained officers with access to a massive array of equipment and backup options, does not have to kill a man with no legs, in order to disarm him and to prevent him from escaping, when his weapon was a knife.

No further facts are even vaguely relevant here.

Encarnacion found herself holding the case file for the notorious killing of Mario Romero, a young father whose death at the hands of Vallejo police in 2012 sparked citywide protests.
Why are these news outlets always so obsessed with the reproductive status of people shot by police?
I find your question rather ironic given your penchant to dredge any irrelevant negative detail about a black shooting victim of the police.

To an ordinary human being, a report that someone was a father (or a mother) informs the reader that the person had at least a child. While that may not interest you, it may interest others.
It has no bearing on the case other than to try to inflame the viewer.
Reports routinely give details about victims whether the victims are alleged criminals or the police.

This guy was not staying put because the police did not bother to surround him or cutoff his escape routes. Instead they just opened fire and killed him - that is the entire point of this particular aspect. Ignoring the obvious does not make it go away, it simply makes your responses pointless.

you're not addressing the facts.
It's a fact that a group of trained officers with access to a massive array of equipment and backup options, does not have to kill a man with no legs, in order to disarm him and to prevent him from escaping, when his weapon was a knife.

No further facts are even vaguely relevant here.
As I said, religious faith.

The Turkish police have been inflicting medieval level corporal punishment on looting suspects.

I won't link the videos, but I looks like at least hairline fractures and bruised joints.

WALKER COUNTY, Ala. (WIAT) – The mother of Anthony “Tony” Mitchell, a Walker County, Alabama man who died in police custody in January, has filed a federal lawsuit against multiple jail officials, including Sheriff Nick Smith, alleging that authorities deprived the man of his constitutional rights by leaving him in the jail’s walk-in freezer “or similar frigid environment” for hours.

“This is one of the most appalling cases of jail abuse the country has seen,” the 37-page federal lawsuit, seen at the bottom of this story, begins. “On the night of January 25 to January 26, 2023, Anthony Don Mitchell (“Tony”) froze to death while incarcerated at the Walker County Jail.”

The case, lawyers for the family wrote in the complaint, “raises an appalling question: how does a man literally freeze to death while incarcerated in a modern, climate-controlled jail, in the custody and care of corrections officers?”

Lets just skip to the he shot at police so they had a right to freeze him to death part and move on. We really do need to add this to the US constitution already. This way civilians don't have to kill people in self defense immediately but can wait to kill the perp hours later.

Appalling if true. However, they do not know what happened. The "walk-in freezer" hypothesis is just that.
Also from the article.
The Hill said:
“I am not sure what circumstances the patient was held in incarceration but it is difficult to understand a rectal temperature of 72° F 22° centigrade
Damn, that's a cold-ass honkey!
Speaking of which, I am surprised you posted this particular case.
while someone is incarcerated in jail,” the doctor’s notes read, according the federal lawsuit. “The cause of his hypothermia is not clear. It is possible he had an underlying medical condition resulting in hypothermia. I do not know if he could have been exposed to a cold environment. I do believe that hypothermia was the ultimate cause of his death.”
Emphasis mine. So he could have, for example, have had a problem with his hypothalamus. Can drugs (he had a history of drug addiction) damage the hypothalamus? Maybe it will get examined during autopsy.

Lawsuits are a good way to extract a lot of money from the county, but they are a poor way to determine what actually happened. You have twelve idiots judging based on a 50%+ε standard. So we will probably never know what actually happened.

Last edited:
That's just ridiculous. There is no medical condition that would cause a person to freeze to death in a modern, temperature controlled jail cell.

That's just ridiculous. There is no medical condition that would cause a person to freeze to death in a modern, temperature controlled jail cell.
Especially if the prisoner is supposed to be monitored.

Mitchell did not literally freeze to death like Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining.

He had severe hypothermia though. The idea that it may have been due to a health issue was suggested by a physician quoted in the article. What med school did you go to that you can dismiss it out of hand as "just ridiculous"?

Back
Top Bottom