• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

His rectal temperature was 72 degrees. That's room temperature. A freshly dead body at 98.6 degrees will drop to room temperature in just a matter of hours, no? Why the need to bring in freezers, etc to explain it? Or am I missing something?

That's just ridiculous. There is no medical condition that would cause a person to freeze to death in a modern, temperature controlled jail cell.
Mitchell did not literally freeze to death like Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining.

He had severe hypothermia though. The idea that it may have been due to a health issue was suggested by a physician quoted in the article. What med school did you go to that you can dismiss it out of hand as "just ridiculous"?
A body will reach ambient room temperature 6-7 hours after death in a climate controlled area. While it is more than possible that he was placed in some kind of walk in freezer where he froze to death, it is also possible that he died hours before he was found. Autopsy is necessary and hopefully will be revealing. That suggestion that he had some sort of medical condition that would cause him to die of hypothermia is just....bad fantasy.

Death by hypothermia would involve other signs which would be apparent during autopsy and probably by someone with some knowledge of such things by observation. Such a death would certainly constitute criminal homicide.

The other possibility that he died some hours before he was discovered point to extreme neglect, at the very least.

If nothing else, the case of Anthony Mitchell points out again that families and friends need a safe resource to call for welfare checks or when their loved one is obviously not rational and is a danger to themselves. No one's loved one should die as a result of a welfare check. Having kept him incarcerated for 2 weeks seems unreasonable and irrational.

From Freddie Gray to Tyre Nichols, early police claims often misleading

A Washington Post analysis of seven high-profile cases in which people died after use of force by police officers — from the fatal injury of Freddie Gray in police custody in 2015 to the death of Nichols last month — found a familiar pattern: The initial police version of events was misleading, incomplete or wrong, with the first accounts consistently in conflict with the full set of facts once they finally emerged.

In cases where the police are later accused of excessive and unwarranted use of force, the first draft of history is almost always written in part by those same officers, who often portray the police in flattering ways and the alleged suspect in less flattering ones.

“The police own the narrative in every interaction they have with the public, because they write up the reports, and sometimes the reports are written to justify the actions the officers have taken and sometimes to cover up what actually happened,” said Philip Stinson, a criminal justice professor at Bowling Green State University who researches criminal behavior by police.
The Post analysis found several consistent themes throughout the seven incidents involving Black people who died in encounters with police: The officers were often, but not always, White; the initial police accounts regularly described the victims in terms assuming they were guilty of a crime; and the initial police version frequently used clinical language that seemed to obscure their own role in the incidents.

A video showing Tyler Canaris being bodyslammed by Paulding County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Michael McMaster in Georgia has gone viral.

The incident occurred in March 2022, but the video gained attention on Reddit and on social media in February 2023, after it was posted to YouTube by the account “Justice for Tyler Canaris.”

According to the video, Canaris, 30, was walking to work when he was stopped by police who said he matched the description of a wanted suspect. The video shows the deputy talking to Canaris before throwing him to the ground. The YouTube page that posted the video said Canaris suffered a fractured skull and broken collarbone and was hospitalized for nine days.

The Paulding County Sheriff’s Office and Sheriff Gary Gulledge have not commented on social media about the video and the sheriff’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Heavy. The sheriff’s office’s Facebook page has been flooded with thousands of comments about the video and incident. Deputy Michael Mahlon McMaster also could not be reached for comment and deleted his Facebook page after the video went viral.
Video available in the link.

"According to the video, Canaris, 30, was walking to work when he was stopped by police who said he matched the description of a wanted suspect."

How does a video show someone walking to work?

Was Canaris being followed by a video camera or something?
Tom

Well maybe he was expected to be at work and was on time for that on his walk.

I am sure all of this will be investigated and considered in any lawsuits or litigation.

Well, maybe he was expected to be at work and was on time for that on his walk.
We could all make up scenarios. Just Believe!

The quote I posted was
"According to the video, Canaris, 30, was walking to work when he was stopped by police who said he matched the description of a wanted suspect."

"Maybe"? Doesn't answer the question "What video was recording him walking to work?"

Tom

Well, maybe he was expected to be at work and was on time for that on his walk.
We could all make up scenarios. Just Believe!

The quote I posted was

"Maybe"? Doesn't answer the question "What video was recording him walking to work?"

Tom
The dashcam video.

:rolleyes:

Early claims by shootee's families and shysters are even more misleading. Remember "gentle giant" and "hands up, don't shoot" re Michael Brown, the OG of the #BLM rioters? Or the claims that Keith Lamont Smith in Charlotte had a "book", not a gun, and then it turns out that he not only had a gun, but an ankle holster too? Both cases resulted in rioting because of these false claims being promulgated.

Lesser known case, but one of the worst cases of false claims made by a lawyer, is that of Darius Smith. Here the shyster:
Family of teen killed by customs agent wants criminal charges
Lee Merritt(less) via ABC7 said:
Darius Smith was executed. He was not in the midst of a robbery. He was shot twice in the legs first. (He fell) and his shooter got over him and shot him three times in the chest. That's murder. That's not subduing the robbery
Literally everything he said was a lie. He (and the other two teens with him) were in the midst of a robbery. He was not executed, but bled out after he ran a ways. And obviously, it was justified homicide, not murder.
What actually happened.
Video Backs Officer's Story in Arcadia Fatal Teen Shooting, Police Say
NBC LA said:
One of the teens, Darius Smith, 15, pointed a BB gun at the officer's face and demanded money, Corina said. The officer pulled out his service weapons and fired seven times, striking Smith and one of the other boys.
Smith was shot four times — twice in the chest and twice in the buttocks. He ran from the scene, collapsed about two blocks away and died several hours later.
The other boy collapsed after being shot and the officer held him at gunpoint until police arrived, Corina said. The third teen ran off and was arrested several hours later.
Darius Smith, 15 - The Homicide Report
LA Times said:
About half a block south of Colorado Boulevard, in a dark residential area, the video “shows the subjects running up on the victim where the robbery and shooting occurred,” Corina said. It also showed Smith and the other 15-year-old running away and the officer staying at the scene with his gun on the 14-year-old boy, who was lying in the street with gunshot wounds.
Smith ran north on 1st Avenue and then east on Colorado Boulevard, collapsing into the gutter in front of a parked pickup truck, said witness Sergio Carmona, a father of three who lives nearby.
Carmona said he and his fiancee heard four to five shots shortly after 8 p.m., and then watched Smith run down Colorado Avenue until he collapsed near their home. Carmona said he walked outside and looked around briefly before going to Smith’s aid, but he didn’t see anyone else in the street.
“Maybe it was risky, but I was not going to let that boy die by himself,” Carmona said. “I held his hand and asked his name, and he told me it was Darius. I asked where he was shot, and he pointed to his back, he pointed to his abdomen and then he pointed to his shoulder, so I took my shirt off and held it against him.”[...]“Darius was a brave young man and obviously an athlete, because he had to run quite a ways to get where he was,” Carmona said, “but I want people to know, there was no shooting after the initial shots and there was nobody standing over him on the sidewalk. If I had seen somebody standing over him, I would not have gone over there. I went because he was by himself.”
In other wards Lee Merritt lied through his teeth. How he wasn't disbarred for this, I do not know.

The snippet you quoted from WaPo does not offer any details, it just insinuates and plays the race card. Do you have a better excerpt?

Last edited:
Autopsy is necessary and hopefully will be revealing. That suggestion that he had some sort of medical condition that would cause him to die of hypothermia is just....bad fantasy.
Why? The possibility has been advanced by a physician.
I agree that there should be an autopsy.

Early claims by shootee's families and shysters are even more misleading. Remember "gentle giant" and "hands up, don't shoot" re Michael Brown, the OG of the #BLM rioters? Or the claims that Keith Lamont Smith in Charlotte had a "book", not a gun, and then it turns out that he not only had a gun, but an ankle holster too? Both cases resulted in rioting because of these false claims being promulgated.

Lesser known case, but one of the worst cases of false claims made by a lawyer, is that of Darius Smith. Here the shyster:
Family of teen killed by customs agent wants criminal charges
Lee Merritt(less) via ABC7 said:
Darius Smith was executed. He was not in the midst of a robbery. He was shot twice in the legs first. (He fell) and his shooter got over him and shot him three times in the chest. That's murder. That's not subduing the robbery
Literally everything he said was a lie. He (and the other two teens with him) were in the midst of a robbery. He was not executed, but bled out after he ran a ways. And obviously, it was justified homicide, not murder.
What actually happened.
Video Backs Officer's Story in Arcadia Fatal Teen Shooting, Police Say
NBC LA said:
One of the teens, Darius Smith, 15, pointed a BB gun at the officer's face and demanded money, Corina said. The officer pulled out his service weapons and fired seven times, striking Smith and one of the other boys.
Smith was shot four times — twice in the chest and twice in the buttocks. He ran from the scene, collapsed about two blocks away and died several hours later.
The other boy collapsed after being shot and the officer held him at gunpoint until police arrived, Corina said. The third teen ran off and was arrested several hours later.
Darius Smith, 15 - The Homicide Report
LA Times said:
About half a block south of Colorado Boulevard, in a dark residential area, the video “shows the subjects running up on the victim where the robbery and shooting occurred,” Corina said. It also showed Smith and the other 15-year-old running away and the officer staying at the scene with his gun on the 14-year-old boy, who was lying in the street with gunshot wounds.
Smith ran north on 1st Avenue and then east on Colorado Boulevard, collapsing into the gutter in front of a parked pickup truck, said witness Sergio Carmona, a father of three who lives nearby.
Carmona said he and his fiancee heard four to five shots shortly after 8 p.m., and then watched Smith run down Colorado Avenue until he collapsed near their home. Carmona said he walked outside and looked around briefly before going to Smith’s aid, but he didn’t see anyone else in the street.
“Maybe it was risky, but I was not going to let that boy die by himself,” Carmona said. “I held his hand and asked his name, and he told me it was Darius. I asked where he was shot, and he pointed to his back, he pointed to his abdomen and then he pointed to his shoulder, so I took my shirt off and held it against him.”[...]“Darius was a brave young man and obviously an athlete, because he had to run quite a ways to get where he was,” Carmona said, “but I want people to know, there was no shooting after the initial shots and there was nobody standing over him on the sidewalk. If I had seen somebody standing over him, I would not have gone over there. I went because he was by himself.”
In other wards Lee Merritt lied through his teeth. How he wasn't disbarred for this, I do not know.

The snippet you quoted from WaPo does not offer any details, it just insinuates and plays the race card. Do you have a better excerpt?
Your "whataboutism" misses the point - the police (i.e. the gov't) lie. It is misconduct by the police to lie or spread disinformation.

If your point is that victim's and the representatives are unreliable or untrustworthy, thanks for pointing out the obvious.

If nothing else, the case of Anthony Mitchell points out again that families and friends need a safe resource to call for welfare checks or when their loved one is obviously not rational and is a danger to themselves. No one's loved one should die as a result of a welfare check. Having kept him incarcerated for 2 weeks seems unreasonable and irrational.
Unfortunately, we don't have enough psychiatric funding. If all the secure psychiatric beds are full it very well might be that jail is preferable to leaving them at home. A cell with food, water and climate control could easily be better than a house lacking one or more of these things.

Your "whataboutism" misses the point - the police (i.e. the gov't) lie. It is misconduct by the police to lie or spread disinformation.

If your point is that victim's and the representatives are unreliable or untrustworthy, thanks for pointing out the obvious.
He's providing more detail on the same thing I've been saying: BLM often gets it wrong. Anything short of the dead guy actually shooting at police they assume to be wrongful. Simulated/fake weapons get listed as "unarmed" in the accounting but the rightfulness of the shooting is judged based on the perception of the shooter--who in most cases is not going to be certain it's not real unless they see something clearly inconsistent with reality (for example, seeing the robber's knife bend and realizing it's a rubber training knife.) Note that things like orange tips do not count--bad guys have been known to paint over the orange on fake guns, or to paint orange on real guns.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough psychiatric funding. If all the secure psychiatric beds are full it very well might be that jail is preferable to leaving them at home. A cell with food, water and climate control could easily be better than a house lacking one or more of these things.
I loathe the Defund the Police slogan but: if we stopped ficussing so much on incarceration. we could have more funds to treatment of psychiatric illnesses, addiction and other mental health needs.

But we se to have convinced police and significant portion of the public that their job is to punish those they take into custody. There is zero reason this man was held fir two weeks. There is NO good reason for this man to be dead.

Welfare checks should not result in incarceration and they should never result in deaths. It is shameful that such happens. Shameful and disgusting.

From Freddie Gray to Tyre Nichols, early police claims often misleading

A Washington Post analysis of seven high-profile cases in which people died after use of force by police officers — from the fatal injury of Freddie Gray in police custody in 2015 to the death of Nichols last month — found a familiar pattern: The initial police version of events was misleading, incomplete or wrong, with the first accounts consistently in conflict with the full set of facts once they finally emerged.

In cases where the police are later accused of excessive and unwarranted use of force, the first draft of history is almost always written in part by those same officers, who often portray the police in flattering ways and the alleged suspect in less flattering ones.

“The police own the narrative in every interaction they have with the public, because they write up the reports, and sometimes the reports are written to justify the actions the officers have taken and sometimes to cover up what actually happened,” said Philip Stinson, a criminal justice professor at Bowling Green State University who researches criminal behavior by police.
The Post analysis found several consistent themes throughout the seven incidents involving Black people who died in encounters with police: The officers were often, but not always, White; the initial police accounts regularly described the victims in terms assuming they were guilty of a crime; and the initial police version frequently used clinical language that seemed to obscure their own role in the incidents.
I was reminded the other day by someone who is in an extremely good position to know that most often, initial newspaper accounts are taken directly from the filed police reports.

He's providing more detail on the same thing I've been saying: BLM often gets it wrong. Anything short of the dead guy actually shooting at police they assume to be wrongful. …,,
Why should anyone be taken to task for getting things anymore wrong than any police apologist like yourself?

Back
Top Bottom