• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

I have no issue with Police officers doing their Job Trausti (which is the case in that video and many others on Youtube). Situations like those are always on their minds (rightfully so). What I do have an issue with is Police officers that create dangerous situations themselves who end up getting someone killed as a result and then not be held accountable.

I got dropped by my insurance company for reporting damages that I paid for myself and didn't file a claim (5 issues 3 having to do with Hurricane damage). I was trying to keep them up to speed with crap that went down with my house in case I really needed to file a claim so they would be aware of the current updates to the home. Oh well, my second insurance company is really happy with me. They can't for the life of them understand why the flying &%#$ (I'm trying to curse less on this board as of today) they did that.

Edit: I cursed
Edit 2: Sorry for the derail. I was pissed about how they treated that woman. It just goes to show that police being given way too much leeway to screw up their dealings with "thugs" you don't like ends up hurting people you do like.

You have a house that is prone to damage. The fact you paid for it yourself doesn't change that.

Who has a house that is not damage prone? And isn't the purpose of insurance companies to make money off people who don't file claims? Besides they are the ones that wanted to make sure the work was being done properly.

Edit: I honestly think i got dropped because an algorithm sent a flag to some idiots desk that didn't check the details.

You think 5 possible claims are normal??

We have been here 25 years. There has been nothing in those years that could possibly be a claim even if you don't consider the deductible.

More Than Half of Police Killings Are Mislabeled, New Study Says - The New York Times - "Researchers comparing information from death certificates with data from organizations that track police killings in the United States identified a startling discrepancy."
noting
Fatal police violence by race and state in the USA, 1980–2019: a network meta-regression - The Lancet
Back to the NYT.
Researchers compared information from a federal database known as the National Vital Statistics System, which collects death certificates, with recent data from three organizations that track police killings through news reports and public records requests. When extrapolating and modeling that data back decades, they identified a startling discrepancy: About 55 percent of fatal encounters with the police between 1980 and 2018 were listed as another cause of death.

The findings reflect both the contentious role of medical examiners and coroners in obscuring the real extent of police violence, and the lack of centralized national data on an issue that has caused enormous upheaval. Private nonprofits and journalists have filled the gap by mining news reports and social media.

“I think the big takeaway is that most people in public health tend to take vital statistics for the U.S. and other countries as the absolute truth, and it turns out, as we show, the vital statistics are missing more than half of the police violence deaths,” said Dr. Christopher Murray, the director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, which conducted the study.

He continued: “You have to look for why those deaths that are being picked up by the open-source investigations, looking in the media and elsewhere, aren’t showing up in the official statistics. That does point to the system of medical examiners and the incentives that may exist for them to want to not classify a death as related to police violence.”
They did their research for 1980 - 2018, covering recent drug warring and the rise in mass incarceration. Of the states and territories, OK, AZ, AK, and DC had the highest rates, while MA, CT, and MN had the lowest rates. "Researchers estimated that about 20 times as many men as women were killed by the police over the past several decades; more American men died in 2019 during police encounters than from Hodgkin lymphoma or testicular cancer."

"While The Lancet study did not mention specific cases, there have been recent examples where the initial findings of coroners or medical examiners downplayed or omitted the role of the police when a Black man was killed:" then listing several examples, like Ronald Greene of Louisiana, Elijah McCain of Aurora CO, and George Floyd of Minneapolis MN

The coroner with the candlestick in the library?

Capitol Police officer charged with obstructing riot investigation - NBC News

A grand jury indictment charged Officer Michael Angelo Riley with repeatedly telling the man to delete all social media that would provide proof of entering the building that day.

“[I']m a capitol police officer who agrees with your political stance,” Riley said in a Facebook direct message, according to the indictment. “Take down the part about being in the building they are correctly investigating and everyone who was in the building is going to be charged. Just looking out!”

yeah I mean from the looks of the video all you can see is a black woman getting thrown around...

‘She was just doing her job’: Homeless vet loses service dog during arrest for panhandling

Joshua Graham Rohrer, a homeless veteran in North Carolina, says he was wrongfully arrested and mistreated by Gastonia police officers, who also tased his service dog Sunshine, sparking support from those who witnessed the incident.

The Gastonia Police Department told Military Times that although Rohrer will go to court for the charges against him, the department is now looking into the incident to “determine if the conduct of our officers was appropriate.”

Rohrer was standing on a median near a Gastonia shopping center with Sunshine on Oct. 13 when a 911 caller contacted police. While Rohrer wasn’t bothering anybody, having Sunshine with him was his way of using sympathy to get money from people, the caller said, according to a copy of the audio call.

Even though Rohrer wasn’t armed or harassing passersby, according to witnesses at the scene, the encounter would ultimately end with his arrest and Sunshine’s death.

‘She was just doing her job’: Homeless vet loses service dog during arrest for panhandling

Joshua Graham Rohrer, a homeless veteran in North Carolina, says he was wrongfully arrested and mistreated by Gastonia police officers, who also tased his service dog Sunshine, sparking support from those who witnessed the incident.

The Gastonia Police Department told Military Times that although Rohrer will go to court for the charges against him, the department is now looking into the incident to “determine if the conduct of our officers was appropriate.”

Rohrer was standing on a median near a Gastonia shopping center with Sunshine on Oct. 13 when a 911 caller contacted police. While Rohrer wasn’t bothering anybody, having Sunshine with him was his way of using sympathy to get money from people, the caller said, according to a copy of the audio call.

Even though Rohrer wasn’t armed or harassing passersby, according to witnesses at the scene, the encounter would ultimately end with his arrest and Sunshine’s death.

Fundamentally, it looks like he was panhandling where it's not allowed.

The article starts with
“Open the door now, you are going to get shot!” an officer in Rock Falls, Ill., shouted at Nathaniel Edwards after a car chase.

“Hands out the window now or you will be shot!” yelled a patrolman in Bakersfield, Calif., as Marvin Urbina wrestled with inflated airbags after a pursuit ended in a crash.

“I am going to shoot you — what part of that don’t you understand?” threatened an officer in Little Rock, Ark., adding a profanity, as she tried to pry James Hartsfield from his car.

The police officers who issued those warnings had stopped the motorists for common offenses: swerving across double yellow lines, speeding recklessly, carrying an open beer bottle. None of the men were armed. Yet within moments of pulling them over, officers fatally shot all three.
These were like some 400 police killings of unarmed people over the last 5 years, over one a week.

"Claiming a sense of mortal peril — whether genuine in the moment or only asserted later — has often shielded officers from accountability for using deadly force."
Dozens of encounters appeared to turn on what criminologists describe as officer-created jeopardy: Officers regularly — and unnecessarily — placed themselves in danger by standing in front of fleeing vehicles or reaching inside car windows, then fired their weapons in what they later said was self-defense. Frequently, officers also appeared to exaggerate the threat.

In many cases, local police officers, state troopers or sheriff’s deputies responded with outsize aggression to disrespect or disobedience — a driver talking back, revving an engine or refusing to get out of a car, what officers sometimes call “contempt of cop.”

In dashboard- and body-camera footage, officers could be seen shooting at cars driving away, or threatening deadly force in their first words to motorists, or surrounding sleeping drivers with a ring of gun barrels — then shooting them when, startled awake, they tried to take off. More than three-quarters of the unarmed motorists were killed while attempting to flee.

Traffic stops are by far the most common police encounters with civilians, and officers have reason to be wary in their approach: They don’t know who is inside a car or whether there are weapons. Ten officers have been killed this year in such interactions, including a Chicago officer who was shot in August by a passenger during a traffic stop for an expired registration.

But some police chiefs and criminologists said that alarmist training about vehicle stops has made officers too quick to shoot at times, resulting in needless killings. Academies and commanding officers often rely on misleading statistics, gory cop-killing videos and simulated worst-case scenarios to instill hypervigilance. Many officers are trained to place a hand on the trunk of the car as they approach, to leave fingerprints as evidence if ambushed by the driver.
Great article. Thanx, sohy.

From SoHy's link:

In fact, because the police pull over so many cars and trucks — tens of millions each year — an officer’s chances of being killed at any vehicle stop are less than 1 in 3.6 million, excluding accidents, two studies have shown. At stops for common traffic infractions, the odds are as low as 1 in 6.5 million, according to a 2019 study by Jordan Blair Woods, a law professor at the University of Arkansas.

“The risk is statistically negligible, but nonetheless it is existentially amplified,” said Mr. Gill, the Salt Lake County district attorney and an outspoken proponent of increased police accountability.

I was pretty shocked at how scared so many police seem to be, when statistically the chance of them being injured by a civilian is so insignificant.

I was pretty shocked at how scared so many police seem to be, when statistically the chance of them being injured by a civilian is so insignificant.
They're trained this way. Their training and police culture in general conditions them to live in a state of fear and to believe that civilians are their enemy.

There was an interesting article in the NYT today concerning police shootings, which I'm "gifting" if anyone is interested in reading it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/31/us/police-traffic-stops-killings.html

While I do agree there is a problem note that these are people who were violently resisting. And note things like in one case the claim was that he was going for an officer's gun, but the "rebuttal" was that the video showed he never touched a gun. That's not a rebuttal! This makes me suspect what other distortions might be in the article.

And while the trigger normally is a low-level traffic stop that doesn't mean they aren't guilty of a lot more. Sometimes it's just a scared kid but much more likely it's someone facing serious time.

There was an interesting article in the NYT today concerning police shootings, which I'm "gifting" if anyone is interested in reading it.

While I do agree there is a problem note that these are people who were violently resisting. And note things like in one case the claim was that he was going for an officer's gun, but the "rebuttal" was that the video showed he never touched a gun. That's not a rebuttal! This makes me suspect what other distortions might be in the article.

And while the trigger normally is a low-level traffic stop that doesn't mean they aren't guilty of a lot more. Sometimes it's just a scared kid but much more likely it's someone facing serious time.
Did you read the fucking article? These people were violently resisting???

Evidence often contradicted the accounts of law enforcement officers.

In many cases, local police officers, state troopers or sheriff’s deputies responded with outsize aggression to disrespect or disobedience — a driver talking back, revving an engine or refusing to get out of a car, what officers sometimes call “contempt of cop.”

In dashboard- and body-camera footage, officers could be seen shooting at cars driving away, or threatening deadly force in their first words to motorists, or surrounding sleeping drivers with a ring of gun barrels — then shooting them when, startled awake, they tried to take off. More than three-quarters of the unarmed motorists were killed while attempting to flee.

Police are trained to be hypervigilant, to treat every stop as potentially lethal, and to peremptorily use lethal force even when no actual threat is present. Police are taught that their authority is absolute and unquestionable, and any resistance, no matter how passive, is a justification to escalate the encounter to potentially lethal levels. If police are taught that the only tool in your belt is your gun, and there is zero tolerance for risk, then it should come as no surprise that a lot of police shootings cannot be reasonably justified in a later analysis.

Also, here is the US, everyone is assumed innocent until they are proven guilty in a court of law. A traffic stop is NOT a justification for police officers to "feel out" the bad apples and kill them without due process. Even if they have a warrant and are trying to flee the scene.

Did you read the fucking article? These people were violently resisting???

Evidence often contradicted the accounts of law enforcement officers.

Police are trained to be hypervigilant, to treat every stop as potentially lethal, and to peremptorily use lethal force even when no actual threat is present. Police are taught that their authority is absolute and unquestionable, and any resistance, no matter how passive, is a justification to escalate the encounter to potentially lethal levels. If police are taught that the only tool in your belt is your gun, and there is zero tolerance for risk, then it should come as no surprise that a lot of police shootings cannot be reasonably justified in a later analysis.

Also, here is the US, everyone is assumed innocent until they are proven guilty in a court of law. A traffic stop is NOT a justification for police officers to "feel out" the bad apples and kill them without due process. Even if they have a warrant and are trying to flee the scene.

You're missing my point. I was showing the article was "supporting" claims with shifting goalposts. Thus all other claims in the article must also be considered suspect.

Judge throws out man’s guilty plea after bodycam footage reveals NYPD drug planting

Brenda Alexander
Tue, November 2, 2021, 6:45 PM·3 min read

The bodycam footage shows an officer planting drugs in the cupholder of a car
A Staten Island man is getting a much-deserved second chance after a judge vacated his 2018 conviction.
Body camera footage shows an NYPD officer in the arrest of Jason Serrano seemingly planting marijuana in the car he was riding in March 2018, Gothamist/WNYC reported. At the time, Serrano was arrested and charged with drug possession, resisting arrest, and obstructing governmental administration.
Serrano eventually plead guilty to the resisting charge three months later. He did so as a way to avoid being sent to the notorious Rikers Island. He was unaware of the body camera footage. Prosecutors shared the footage with Serrano’s attorneys months after his guilty plea.

Back
Top Bottom