• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Police Misconduct Catch All Thread

So let me get this straight. A man "suspected" of a violent felony went to jail that day and an officer that clearly assaulted another offiicer went to a comfy desk. Yup, that's our justice system.

So let me get this straight. A man "suspected" of a violent felony went to jail that day and an officer that clearly assaulted another offiicer went to a comfy desk. Yup, that's our justice system.
Yup, that's how it works.

The really funny thing is she could have pulled her gun and shot the other officer because she feared for her life.

From the source you linked to:

The police used forged documents from the Virginia Department of Forensic Science (DFS) at least five times from March 2016 to February 2020. A false report was presented in court as evidence at least once.

The documents, which were sealed with DFS information and twice signed by a fictitious DFS employee, claimed that suspects’ DNA were connected to crimes in order to coax them to confess.

The DFS discovered the police’s tactics when an assistant commonwealth’s attorney requested a certified copy of one of the false documents from the department.

“This was an extremely troubling and potentially unconstitutional tactic that abused the name of the Commonwealth to try to coerce confessions,” Herring said. “It also abused the good name and reputation of the Commonwealth’s hard-working forensic scientists and professionals who work hard to provide accurate, solid evidence in support of our law enforcement agencies. While I appreciate that Virginia Beach Police put an end to this practice and cooperated with our investigation, this is clearly a tactic that should never have been used.”

Not only did the police use forged test reports to coerce suspects into confessions, a forged test report was actually used as evidence in a court of law at least once. The state of Virginia is actively manufacturing false evidence to convict people and send them to prison. Let that sink in for a minute......

If you are wealthy, you can pay for the legal and technical resources to challenge the lying police, and you probably know better than to talk to the police. But what happens if you are poor and cannot afford to hire your own lawyer to defend you and investigate the charges? Does anyone else think our police system is in need of reform?

From the source you linked to:

The police used forged documents from the Virginia Department of Forensic Science (DFS) at least five times from March 2016 to February 2020. A false report was presented in court as evidence at least once.

The documents, which were sealed with DFS information and twice signed by a fictitious DFS employee, claimed that suspects’ DNA were connected to crimes in order to coax them to confess.

The DFS discovered the police’s tactics when an assistant commonwealth’s attorney requested a certified copy of one of the false documents from the department.

“This was an extremely troubling and potentially unconstitutional tactic that abused the name of the Commonwealth to try to coerce confessions,” Herring said. “It also abused the good name and reputation of the Commonwealth’s hard-working forensic scientists and professionals who work hard to provide accurate, solid evidence in support of our law enforcement agencies. While I appreciate that Virginia Beach Police put an end to this practice and cooperated with our investigation, this is clearly a tactic that should never have been used.”

Not only did the police use forged test reports to coerce suspects into confessions, a forged test report was actually used as evidence in a court of law at least once. The state of Virginia is actively manufacturing false evidence to convict people and send them to prison. Let that sink in for a minute......

If you are wealthy, you can pay for the legal and technical resources to challenge the lying police, and you probably know better than to talk to the police. But what happens if you are poor and cannot afford to hire your own lawyer to defend you and investigate the charges? Does anyone else think our police system is in need of reform?
....and the Suprema Court needs to reverse Frazier v. Cupp, 394 U.S. 731 (1969), was a United States Supreme Court case that affirmed the legality of deceptive interrogation tactics.[1] in addition to other reforms.

Video of the asshole cop in the link.

YORK, Maine — Town officials released video footage late Wednesday that shows a police officer in Maine using a K-9 to subdue a man during a traffic stop more than two years ago.

The release of the footage comes about a week after the man, Stephen Brennan, announced through his attorneys he had reached a $325,000 settlement agreement with the town and Patrolman Jonathan Rogers, who had released the dog during the encounter on Sept. 20, 2019.

In a joint statement released with the footage, York Town Manager Steve Burns and Acting Police Chief Owen Davis said Rogers “simply did his job to keep York a safe place.”

The Urban Daily reported Henderson police pulled over 23-year-old Shane Lee Brown on a weapons charge associated with a felon who was initially charged in 1994. This previous felon, who also shared the name Shane Brown, was not only convicted three years before Shane was born but was also an entire white man.
Brown gave the police his social security card in place of his license, according to Urban Daily. Yet, he was still taken in as if his form of identification (in addition to his skin color) wasn’t enough to prove his innocence. The warrant he was served was issued for a “49-year-old white man with a bushy white beard and blue eyes.” … So, Santa Claus?

From the Urban Daily:

Brown was sent to Henderson Detention Center, where he pleaded with officers that he was not the Shane Brown in the bench warrant, but was ignored.
Two days later, Las Vegas police transferred Brown to Clark County Detention Center and recorded his correct date of birth, race, and height. Officers also issued Brown a different identification number that was assigned to the older Shane Brown. He was then orderer by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to appear in front of a judge for the older Brown’s bench warrant but under the younger Brown’s race and date of birth.
The 23-year-old would spend four days in Clark County Detention Center before finally appearing in front of a district judge who released him after the two men’s booking photos were shown side by side in court.
Brown would spend a total of six days in jail.
Upon his release, Brown sued the Metropolitan Police Department, city of Henderson and the Henderson Police Department, according to the Urban Daily. The suit included compensatory damages under federal law of half a million dollars and $50,000 under state law.

The Urban Daily reported Henderson police pulled over 23-year-old Shane Lee Brown on a weapons charge associated with a felon who was initially charged in 1994. This previous felon, who also shared the name Shane Brown, was not only convicted three years before Shane was born but was also an entire white man.
Brown gave the police his social security card in place of his license, according to Urban Daily. Yet, he was still taken in as if his form of identification (in addition to his skin color) wasn’t enough to prove his innocence. The warrant he was served was issued for a “49-year-old white man with a bushy white beard and blue eyes.” … So, Santa Claus?

From the Urban Daily:

Brown was sent to Henderson Detention Center, where he pleaded with officers that he was not the Shane Brown in the bench warrant, but was ignored.
Two days later, Las Vegas police transferred Brown to Clark County Detention Center and recorded his correct date of birth, race, and height. Officers also issued Brown a different identification number that was assigned to the older Shane Brown. He was then orderer by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department to appear in front of a judge for the older Brown’s bench warrant but under the younger Brown’s race and date of birth.
The 23-year-old would spend four days in Clark County Detention Center before finally appearing in front of a district judge who released him after the two men’s booking photos were shown side by side in court.
Brown would spend a total of six days in jail.
Upon his release, Brown sued the Metropolitan Police Department, city of Henderson and the Henderson Police Department, according to the Urban Daily. The suit included compensatory damages under federal law of half a million dollars and $50,000 under state law.
A quick look at the warrant would have told the arresting officers, and the detention officers that they had the wrong man. But nobody could be bothered to do their due diligence, and Mr Brown had to spend 6 days in jail because of their negligence. This is why qualified immunity needs to be revisited by the Supremes. The cops know they are immune from civil litigation, and can act with impunity and callousness.

FYI: That $50k is a state limit in actions against the government. One of our worst laws.

For a good understanding of the effects of police misconduct and prosecutorial malpractice I recommend the TV show Death Row Stories.

Injustice resulting in improper conviction often results from a Brady Violation which is the improper with holding of exculpatory evidence by the prosecution. Misconduct by the police is not the only issue involved in false convictions.

Prosecutors, judges, and jurors may be involved.

The Murdaugh Family comes to mind when you discuss criminal prosecutors. (Double meaning intended).

False confessions have resulted in convictions that have been over turned in 360 cases.

When I jointed the military I was surprised at how many of my fellow soldiers were black.

I wondered why they would fight for a country that treated them so badly by both the police and otherwise.
It's an easy way for the less fortunate to get a job and skills. I suspect that's the same for most of the recruits regardless of ethnicity.

I didn't join the military but I am one of the America-loving black people. To me, America looks awesome on paper. She's page three of Jet Magazine, but when you meet her supporters not all of them are as attractive.

I didn't join the military but I am one of the America-loving black people. To me, America looks awesome on paper. She's page three of Jet Magazine, but when you meet her supporters not all of them are as attractive.
America looks nice on paper after she gets cleaned up a bit, and puts on some studio makeup. When you meet her in person, admittedly, she still looks pretty nice, but she's much more human and hooo boy when she opens her mouth, you get a little crestfallen when she starts talking about 'those people', as if the italics don't come across on her tone.

When I jointed the military I was surprised at how many of my fellow soldiers were black.

I wondered why they would fight for a country that treated them so badly by both the police and otherwise.
It's an easy way for the less fortunate to get a job and skills. I suspect that's the same for most of the recruits regardless of ethnicity.
It’s also a way that some who are uncertain about their life’s direction go to …,get some direction, some discipline and, in at least one case I am all too familiar with, postpone determining the direction(s) of their future. Even from very solid, middle/upper middle class families. A bunch go for the help with education costs. Some enlist out of patriotism.

one case I am all too familiar with, postpone determining the direction(s) of their future
Hey now, just because you aren't naming me doesn't mean I don't know who you're...

You're talking about someone else, aren't you?

one case I am all too familiar with, postpone determining the direction(s) of their future
Hey now, just because you aren't naming me doesn't mean I don't know who you're...

Yep, someone who may or may not carry some of my genetic code......

Interestingly enough, a couple of sets of close friends (highly educated, professionals, both parents in both sets of friends) had sons who also went into the military, although at least they were smart enough to do it via ROTC, which mine eschewed...because he didn't want to be an officer.

For those who may be following this exchange, Jarhyn isn't my kid. But they do share some similarities.

Yep, someone who may or may not carry some of my genetic code......

Interestingly enough, a couple of sets of close friends (highly educated, professionals, both parents in both sets of friends) had sons who also went into the military, although at least they were smart enough to do it via ROTC, which mine eschewed...because he didn't want to be an officer.

For those who may be following this exchange, Jarhyn isn't my kid. But they do share some similarities.
I also, in fact, eschewed officer training on account of wanting to play dumb for a while.

It was a very nice escape from the future and the past for me, given the awfulness of my relationship and the debts I incurred then.

It didn't last and I found myself in front of the magic box again. Apparently people feel nervous when the person with inordinate power to make their own decisions has a machine gun?

Economic and educational opportunity are the top motivations for military service. Just another reason the wealthy ruling class want poor people to stay poor and with no way to pay for education. The industrial military complex relies on those things being scarce except through an arrangement where they might die for it.

Back
Top Bottom