• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Poll: Does being white better suit someone to be neutral on matters of race?

Does being white better suit someone to be neutral on matters of race?

• Total voters
The previous post is an illustration that the answer to the OP question is a resounding "NO".

Race relations in the US are pretty messed up and the chief reason is this insistence to treat minorities different from whites.
When even rabid black racists are not ostracized but even mild white racists are, that's a problem with race relations.
Yes. Agreed fully. The Black Panther flag flies high in Albany while countless positive references to the Confederacy are no where to be found in the south.

When some even deny that non-whites can be racist, that's a problem with race relations.
Yes! Absolutely! Because systematic racism can be found littered in law codes across the nation. In fact, last year I couldn't vote because I couldn't afford a poll tax.
When media narrative is all about an epidemic of white violence against blacks when FBI data show the black-on-white murders outnumber white-on-black murders by a factor of more than 2:1, that's a problem with race relations.
And when a black kills a white, what are the stats on conviction, verses when a black is killed by the police. What are the numbers on police conviction?
When the concept of "microaggressions" is invented and things like supporting a colorblind society or opposing affirmative action are declared as such (or merely correcting black students' papers for that matter), that's a problem with race relations.
And so on.
So true!

The only way to move forward is to stop racial double standards and embrace true equality and not this politically correct perversion of it.
Correct. We need to stop all these racist laws against whites. White people don't benefit from Government at all. Only blacks do.

Yes. Agreed fully. The Black Panther flag flies high in Albany while countless positive references to the Confederacy are no where to be found in the south.

When some even deny that non-whites can be racist, that's a problem with race relations.
Yes! Absolutely! Because systematic racism can be found littered in law codes across the nation. In fact, last year I couldn't vote because I couldn't afford a poll tax.
When media narrative is all about an epidemic of white violence against blacks when FBI data show the black-on-white murders outnumber white-on-black murders by a factor of more than 2:1, that's a problem with race relations.
And when a black kills a white, what are the stats on conviction, verses when a black is killed by the police. What are the numbers on police conviction?
When the concept of "microaggressions" is invented and things like supporting a colorblind society or opposing affirmative action are declared as such (or merely correcting black students' papers for that matter), that's a problem with race relations.
And so on.
So true!

The only way to move forward is to stop racial double standards and embrace true equality and not this politically correct perversion of it.
Correct. We need to stop all these racist laws against whites. White people don't benefit from Government at all. Only blacks do.

Which explains all the black CEOs of Fortune 400 companies, our nearly all black congress, how black people have better health outcomes that every other group, why there are no black people in prison, and why we have had 44 black presidents. The list goes on and on of how black people since 1619 have been keeping the white man down.

Just as I suspected, you have no idea what you mean either.

Sure he does. He knows exactly what he means. He is simply reluctant to elucidate his point as he prefers to hide his racism behind some imagined shield, in this case, imagined rationality. The problem is that we also know what he means.
OK, fine, this is what I mean by normal:

"The usual, average, or typical state or condition"

This is the definition that the vast majority of English-speakers have in mind when they say "normal." White is normal in the USA, by this definition. It is also, presumably, the definition intended by AthenaAwakened when she used the word "normalcy." I was responding to that statement from her. I don't mean to be playing word games here. It is frustrating. You want to be reading unusual meanings into my words. You can best judge the meanings I have in mind based on context. You don't want to judge meanings based on context. No, instead, you want to judge the meaning based on what the racist bogeyman would mean. :mad:

Sure he does. He knows exactly what he means. He is simply reluctant to elucidate his point as he prefers to hide his racism behind some imagined shield, in this case, imagined rationality. The problem is that we also know what he means.

This is the definition that the vast majority of English-speakers have in mind when they say "normal." White is normal in the USA, by this definition. It is also, presumably, the definition intended by AthenaAwakened when she used the word "normalcy." I was responding to that statement from her. I don't mean to be playing word games here. It is frustrating. You want to be reading unusual meanings into my words. You can best judge the meanings I have in mind based on context. You don't want to judge meanings based on context. No, instead, you want to judge the meaning based on what the racist bogeyman would mean. :mad:

Nice try, but you're not Humpty Dumpty. You choose a word like "normal" to describe white people. Does this mean that Blacks, Asians, Patagonians, etc are abnormal? The common meaning of "normal" is "conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected."

I'm an English speaking American citizen and I find this a peculiar use of the word.

I find your response very puzzling. Your response of "Being white is normal. Defending the white identity is taboo." caused my question. Now, according to your response, your 2nd sentence means "Defending the identity of the most numerous race in the USA is taboo." which literally makes no sense to me. According to you, the white identity is a numerical fact which should need no defense.

Race relations in the US are pretty messed up and the chief reason is this insistence to treat minorities different from whites.
When even rabid black racists are not ostracized but even mild white racists are, that's a problem with race relations.
And so on.

As long as laws are written by whity, cops stereotype black as someone to fear, and all the levers of power are held by whites there will be double standards relative to those who don't have those advantages. You want a discussion? Try finding laws that are actually fairly written, fairly executed, with outcomes showing no difference among race or ethnicity. Then try to justify why this is so. It can't. There can be no discussion about being fair to whites in the US. If you're white stand up and admit your 'race' constructed a 'me' orgasmic social structure. Then try to change it so more are included in the 'us' column, Instead you exclusively find instances where whites are actually treated like 'them' and complain that it isn't 'fair'.

Nice try, but you're not Humpty Dumpty. You choose a word like "normal" to describe white people. Does this mean that Blacks, Asians, Patagonians, etc are abnormal? The common meaning of "normal" is "conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected."

I'm an English speaking American citizen and I find this a peculiar use of the word.
So what do you think AthenaAwakened meant when she said "normalcy"? Or do you not give the singlest flying fuck because it isn't really about comprehending what either she or I are saying?

So what do you think AthenaAwakened meant when she said "normalcy"? Or do you not give the singlest flying fuck because it isn't really about comprehending what either she or I are saying?

It would help if you knew the meaning of the words you use.

It would help if you knew the meaning of the words you use.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

I believe it is clear that in the context of her comment it meant "most common". So, in essence, she asked since when does one have to defend the most common outcome or event?

However, your response shifted gears to "white identity" and "normal". As I mentioned before, if you meant "most common", then your responses do not seem to have any meaning. So, speaking for at least one participant, I do not have the singlest flying fuck what you are saying. And from your responses, it seems to me that neither do you.

Being white is normal. Defending the white identity is taboo. If it seems like a contradiction, then resolving it and understanding it may be key to understanding the white experience in America.
What on earth does "being white is normal" mean?

Not terribly surprised that this got derailed into accusation of racism.... but lets get back to the actual point, shall we? Being white is fine and not taboo. Defending the "white identity" definitely is. I think this may be the only board where I've seen people try to say otherwise. Being proud of being white is most definitely a taboo and often underlined as racist.

In contrast, being proud of being black is sometimes applauded. Being proud of being gay is especially applauded. It kind of makes sense, since it started as a reactionary thing. When you are told over and over again that you are lesser or should be ashamed for being X, the way to backlash against that is to say not only are you not ashamed or lesser, but you are proud or better.

"... it is a shameful taboo to uphold and defend the socially acceptable. It is a little awkward and embarrassing to identify as socially acceptable. Nothing can be openly attributed to the socially acceptable except negative values."

white is the social norm in America, it is the standard, it is whatever is generally accepted as proper. There is a taboo against normalcy?
Being white is normal. Defending the white identity is taboo.
I don't understand laughing dog's response to this quote. The first sentence seems fine. I'm more wondering what in the heck "defending the white identity" is supposed to mean.

What on earth does "being white is normal" mean?

Not terribly surprised that this got derailed into accusation of racism.... but lets get back to the actual point, shall we? Being white is fine and not taboo. Defending the "white identity" definitely is. I think this may be the only board where I've seen people try to say otherwise. Being proud of being white is most definitely a taboo and often underlined as racist.
I have no idea why anyone would feel the need to defend whatever the "white identity" is. In my experience, most people who claim to have "white pride" are also racists.

I have no idea why anyone would feel the need to defend whatever the "white identity" is. In my experience, most people who claim to have "white pride" are also racists.

Can you fathom that? White Pride = racism. Well of course! Usually when pride rears its ugly head it is racism, gay bashing, witch burning, war, etc. Can't we just get along?

Surprised so many white people have strong opinions on this one.

I don't know why white people would feel like they are suited to opine on whether being white would better suit someone to be neutral on matters of race.

Surprised so many white people have strong opinions on this one.

I don't know why white people would feel like they are suited to opine on whether being white would better suit someone to be neutral on matters of race.

Like the conservative ones feel comfortable at the controls or something ..... ... Aren't the conservartive hawk white people the ones screaming for military action abroad to stop the almost non-existent existential threat of terrorism on our shores too. Can you say pussies? Don't put a good nuke to waste I guess.

Can you fathom that? White Pride = racism. Well of course! Usually when pride rears its ugly head it is racism, gay bashing, witch burning, war, etc. Can't we just get along?
But why is "black pride", "black power" etc. considered something positive?

I will reiterate this sentence in every reply on this thread until it sinks in:
You can't have racial equality until you start treating races equally!

But why is "black pride", "black power" etc. considered something positive?
Typically there are two types of white pride. Ethnocentric pride (Italian, Irish, German, etc...) which is based on origins and the other is racial supremacy (Whites are so awesome and are god's people!). Not many are complaining about the prior. It seems odd, though that many seem to defend the later. Are you really trying to equate racial supremacist "pride" with a pair of black concepts that have a much deeper historical context of dealing with adversity? Very few are arguing that what the boneheads "preaching" at Time Square are saying is kosher

Back
Top Bottom