• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Post 2022 Election

Cheerful Charlie

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
As things are this morning, final votes are being counted in four states. Arizona, Nevada, Georgia,Wisconsin.
Experts are predicting Arizona and Nevada will see Democratic Senatorial candidates prevail. Georgia will have a run off. Ron Johnson may win. The Democrats will control the Senate. And the Presidency with the all important veto pen. The GOP the house by a slim margin. Chuck Shumer will now get to play grim reaper. The GOP House is going to go batshit crazy.

The question is, will they get crazy enough to be voting booth poison in two years? Last I saw, the GOP majority in the House was +1. The GOP might get a few more seats, but then we may see a few of them become GOP versions of Sinema and Manchin. Unwilling to go with the MAGA mob.

We are starting a new chapter in 'Merican government. Where is Hunter S. Thompson now that we need him?

I think Biden is an idiot for running in 2024. Though he hasn't "officially" announced his candidacy, he said that he intends to do so in January, so I guess there is still time to walk back on that promise... but regardless, he's a 200-year old coot with approval numbers as bad as Trump's. Just because Kamala Harris turned out to be a flop, doesn't mean there isn't someone else in the democratic party that could give it a try.

Trump seems furious that DeSantis with such a high margin and that some of the candidates he backed lost. Maybe that's enough to dissuade him from running in 2024. Some say DeSantis will be worse than Trump, if he ends up being the candidate. I doubt it.

If not Biden, who? Harris has no better ratings. The GOP will be running DeSantis, possibly Cruz, Abbott, and others.

Anyone. Is AOC old enough? Is Kristen Sinema sane enough?
Anyone.
Joe can’t win against a DeSantis IMzo unless he can pull economic rabbits out of a hat with a divided (at best) Congress, and -this is the hard part - the DNC learns how to take credit for it. Joe should pass the torch.

As things are this morning, final votes are being counted in four states. Arizona, Nevada, Georgia,Wisconsin.
Experts are predicting Arizona and Nevada will see Democratic Senatorial candidates prevail. Georgia will have a run off. Ron Johnson may win. The Democrats will control the Senate. And the Presidency with the all important veto pen. The GOP the house by a slim margin. Chuck Shumer will now get to play grim reaper. The GOP House is going to go batshit crazy.

The question is, will they get crazy enough to be voting booth poison in two years? Last I saw, the GOP majority in the House was +1. The GOP might get a few more seats, but then we may see a few of them become GOP versions of Sinema and Manchin. Unwilling to go with the MAGA mob.

We are starting a new chapter in 'Merican government. Where is Hunter S. Thompson now that we need him?
John Clarke and Brian Dawe were two very well known Australian satirist (Clarke died in 2017). In 2001 they performed a skit where Dawe was pretending to be the interviewer and Clarke the leader of the Opposition Party after they lost the Federal election. Clarke loudly and proudly exclaimed that the election was a fantastic result. Dawe, confused, gently reminded Clarke that he lost. Clarke then pointed out that if they got elected in, they'd have to do something and they have no fucking clue how to fix the economy.

MAGA-tards are about to learn being in charge requires more work than complaining about those in charge.

If the GOP takes the House, the GOP can no longer blame Pelosi for House failures. The problem here is the GOP is no longer sane. It won't be a circus. It will be a zoo-like monkey island.

The GOP taking the House just means the Investigation into the Insurrection needs to finalize the report to send to the Justice Department. If the Dems hold onto the +1 seat gain in the Senate, that means an easier path for judicial nominations, about the only real power he Dems have left.

I mean, this is both awful and hilarious at the same time. Kevin McCarthy's House Speaker role in jeopardy.

article said:
But a small handful of Republicans could keep McCarthy from winning the speaker’s gavel during the public vote on Jan. 3, the first day of the new Congress. He needs 218 Republican votes on the House floor — Democrats won't help — meaning it’s possible fewer than a dozen conservatives could derail McCarthy’s chances and throw the process into certain chaos.

"No one currently has 218" votes, said Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, as he emerged from a private Freedom Caucus meeting near the Capitol where members were discussing their strategy. Roy previously told NBC News he has not decided who he is backing for speaker.
The GOP has become so radicalized that McCarthy, who has worked so hard to be in the spot to ascend to the role of House Speaker, might actually not get the role because there are enough radicals that'd go with a Jordan or some other crackpot to be the Speaker. So that would be hilarious to watch McCarthy get stood up by his own party for not apparently being insane enough. Of course, it'd also put someone mentally unwell in the role of House Speaker.

So it'll be a fight between the far-right and alt-right.

I was actually surprised at how well Democrat candidates performed. Ron Johnson squeaked by a black candidate (Mandela Barnes) after running a particular nasty campaign. In my state elections (Mn), the Democrats won all the statewide races, although the AG race was very close. More interestingly, the Democrats (technically, the Democratic, Farm, Labor party or the DFL), retook the state senate and held onto the state house. So I found that a bit comforting.

Call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I think inflation will be back down and the national unemployment rate will be down, so the Democrats' prospects will not be so dim.

MTG for Speaker!
Or better yet, Bubbles! (Looks like she’s going to get another term after all.)

Yeah that’s not in the cards, but it’s probably going to be just as much of a cluster as if one of them was conducting the Clown Chorus. I agree with Jimmy that Republicans will provide a popcorn-worthy spectacle, and with LD that economic stabilization (probably not full recovery, but measurable improvement) should help in ‘24. Might even keep the White House if they can give sleepy Joe a rest. Is anyone here familiar with Wes Moore? What little I’ve seen has impressed me …

I was actually surprised at how well Democrat candidates performed. Ron Johnson squeaked by a black candidate (Mandela Barnes) after running a particular nasty campaign. In my state elections (Mn), the Democrats won all the statewide races, although the AG race was very close. More interestingly, the Democrats (technically, the Democratic, Farm, Labor party or the DFL), retook the state senate and held onto the state house. So I found that a bit comforting.

Call me a cock-eyed optimist, but I think inflation will be back down and the national unemployment rate will be down, so the Democrats' prospects will not be so dim.
The Senate map isn't very helpful though in '24.
  • Manchin in WV? That'll be a tough sell.
  • Brown will have a tough time in Ohio too.
  • Casey in PA will have a fight.
  • Tester in Montana.
  • Stabenow in Michigan will have a fight.
  • Sinema in Arizona.
Florida has become a red state with Cubans loving the anti-Communists. Missouri is becoming deep red now. With those two former purple states, I don't see a single Democrat pickup possible, forget about being feasible. Casey, Stabenow should win. Brown will be interesting as he is a strong incumbent these days. Sinema will be a fight, while Tester and Manchin might be toast.

I guess I'm the first to mention that the Democrats have kept the Senate with a win in Nevada. And Georgia is not going to be decided until the run off. Democrats could gain a seat.

Democratic Senators in Arizona and Nevada are projected to win only. Good news, but don't celebrate until the final vote is in. We need Warnock to beat Walker too. 51 Democratic Senators would be ever so nice..

Democratic Senators in Arizona and Nevada are projected to win only. Good news, but don't celebrate until the final vote is in. We need Warnock to beat Walker too. 51 Democratic Senators would be ever so nice..
If the scum get the house I don't think it will make much difference.

If the scum get the house I don't think it will make much difference.
It will because there is a lot the Senate does without the House. Like confirming judges.

Back
Top Bottom