• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

President-elect Joe Biden's Cabinet and Staff Nominees

It looks as if Biden is going to have a very difficult time putting anyone perceived as very progressive in his cabinet, due to Republican obstructionism.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/20/us/politics/senate-republicans-could-be-an-obstacle-for-bidens-cabinet-nominees.html

Senator Bernie Sanders, the progressive Vermont independent, has emerged as a contender for labor secretary in President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s administration, a prospect that would suit his ambitions of being a warrior for working Americans — and one that makes some Senate Republicans very uneasy.

It is a testament to the deterioration of the Senate confirmation process that a longtime colleague — even one they vehemently oppose on policy — would face such a Republican roadblock. In the not-too-distant past, fellow senators got considerable leeway from the opposing party if they were selected to join the executive branch.

“The truth is, to the best of my knowledge, there has been a courtesy within the Senate that when a president nominates senators, they have been approved,” Mr. Sanders said in an interview.

The growing senatorial resistance to Mr. Sanders even before any formal action by the new administration reflects the formidable task Mr. Biden faces. Should Republicans hold on to their Senate majority next year, Mr. Biden would be the first president since George Bush in 1989 to enter office without his party controlling the chamber and managing the confirmation process. And that process has grown much more toxic, to the point where senators routinely engage in near-blanket opposition to the picks of a president from the opposite party — if they allow consideration at all.

I don't remember where I read the list of other possible cabinet possibilities that the Republicans plan on rejecting, but the list included Warren and Susan Rice among a few others. So, apparently, unless the two Dems in Georgia win their races, the Republicans are already planning on obstructing the appointment of cabinet members that Biden might want.

Ha ha. Bernie thinks there is courtesy in the Senate.

I did not know the American Senate had to approve members of the cabinet. That makes little sense to me.

Biden decides on pick for secretary of State | TheHill - he will announce his choice in a few days.
It was not immediately clear who Biden’s nominee would be, but a former Obama administration official confirmed to The Hill that Tony Blinken, a veteran diplomat and longtime Biden ally, has been considered a front-runner for the post.

Merrick Garland Could Be A Biden Pick For Attorney General, Sources Say : Biden Transition Updates : NPR
It would be nice to see him back.

Oh, damn. I was hoping it would be Hillary who would "lock him up."

I did not know the American Senate had to approve members of the cabinet. That makes little sense to me.

Trump got around that by making them all “acting” cabinet secretaries.

True, but there is a limit on how long an "acting" cabinet member can remain in power. And, I doubt that Biden will do that very often.

NBC Politics on Twitter: "
NEW: President-elect Biden announces key picks for his foreign policy team:

• Sec of State: Antony Blinken
• Homeland Security Sec: Alejandro Mayorkas
• DNI: Avril Haines
• US Amb to UN: Linda Thomas-Greenfield
• NSA: Jake Sullivan
• Climate Envoy: John Kerry
" / Twitter

The Latest: Biden picks John Kerry for climate change role
Earlier Monday, Biden named two longtime Capitol Hill aides to his legislative affairs team. Reema Dodin and Shuwanza Goff will serve as deputy directors of the White House Office of Legislative Affairs.

Dodin and Goff join Louisa Terrell, who was recently named the director of the White House Office of Legislative Affairs. About a dozen other senior White House staffers also have been announced by the president-elect.

At the source: Nominees and Appointees | President-Elect Joe Biden

Progressive group Justice Democrats criticizes Biden appointments | TheHill

Referring to Rep. Cedric Richmond, D-LA,
Richmond, a national co-chair of Biden’s campaign, announced Monday that he will serve as a senior adviser and assistant to Biden as president, a role that has been compared to that of Valerie Jarrett in the Obama administration. Richmond is currently the only Democratic and only Black member of Louisiana’s House delegation.
If he departs from the House, his successor will likely be a Republican. Seems like an own goal, like appointing Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren to the Cabinet.

Justice Democrats on Twitter: "A Joe Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders will not help usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations.

This move gives greater urgency for Joe Biden to create an Office of Climate Mobilization on Day 1 and appoint progressives. https://t.co/xkSszuza1q" / Twitter

with an inline image file. I've OCRed its text:
PROGRESSIVES FIND CORPORATE-FRIENDLY BIDEN APPOINTMENTS UNACCEPTABLE

"A Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders like Ricchetti and Richmond will not help usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations."

In response to Joe Biden's recent appointments this morning, Justice Democrats executive director Alexandra Rojas released the following statement:

"If Joe Biden continues making corporate-friendly appointments to his White House, he will risk quickly fracturing the hard-earned goodwill his team built with progressives to defeat Donald Trump. A Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders like Steve Ricchetti and Cedric Richmond will not help the President-elect usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations.

"Steve Ricchetti is a former pharma lobbyist and has represented groups vociferously opposed to Medicare For All and the public manufacturing of prescription drugs. In this post-COVID era, Biden has a chance to make major reforms to our cruel health care system but it will require standing up to private power.

"Representative Cedric Richmond is one of the top Democratic recipients of fossil fuel money. Richmond received $92,000 from oil and gas corporate PACs this year, including Exxon. Richmond has been aggressively criticized by his own constituents for failing to act on their concerns revolving around industry regulations and the climate crisis. This move gives greater urgency for Joe Biden to create an Office of Climate Mobilization on Day One and appoint progressives with records standing up to the fossil fuel industry.

"Progressives make up nearly half of the Democratic Party's seats in the House of Representatives and should receive adequate representation in the Biden administration."

Progressive group Justice Democrats criticizes Biden appointments | TheHill

Referring to Rep. Cedric Richmond, D-LA,
Richmond, a national co-chair of Biden’s campaign, announced Monday that he will serve as a senior adviser and assistant to Biden as president, a role that has been compared to that of Valerie Jarrett in the Obama administration. Richmond is currently the only Democratic and only Black member of Louisiana’s House delegation.
If he departs from the House, his successor will likely be a Republican. Seems like an own goal, like appointing Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren to the Cabinet.

Justice Democrats on Twitter: "A Joe Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders will not help usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations.

This move gives greater urgency for Joe Biden to create an Office of Climate Mobilization on Day 1 and appoint progressives. https://t.co/xkSszuza1q" / Twitter

with an inline image file. I've OCRed its text:
PROGRESSIVES FIND CORPORATE-FRIENDLY BIDEN APPOINTMENTS UNACCEPTABLE

"A Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders like Ricchetti and Richmond will not help usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations."

In response to Joe Biden's recent appointments this morning, Justice Democrats executive director Alexandra Rojas released the following statement:

"If Joe Biden continues making corporate-friendly appointments to his White House, he will risk quickly fracturing the hard-earned goodwill his team built with progressives to defeat Donald Trump. A Biden administration dominated by corporate-friendly insiders like Steve Ricchetti and Cedric Richmond will not help the President-elect usher in the most progressive Democratic administration in generations.

"Steve Ricchetti is a former pharma lobbyist and has represented groups vociferously opposed to Medicare For All and the public manufacturing of prescription drugs. In this post-COVID era, Biden has a chance to make major reforms to our cruel health care system but it will require standing up to private power.

"Representative Cedric Richmond is one of the top Democratic recipients of fossil fuel money. Richmond received $92,000 from oil and gas corporate PACs this year, including Exxon. Richmond has been aggressively criticized by his own constituents for failing to act on their concerns revolving around industry regulations and the climate crisis. This move gives greater urgency for Joe Biden to create an Office of Climate Mobilization on Day One and appoint progressives with records standing up to the fossil fuel industry.

"Progressives make up nearly half of the Democratic Party's seats in the House of Representatives and should receive adequate representation in the Biden administration."

There was some discussion pre-election on whether a Trump second term or a Biden presidency would work best to push back against the loonie left. Maybe the Biden folks were right.

There was some discussion pre-election on whether a Trump second term or a Biden presidency would work best to push back against the loonie left. Maybe the Biden folks were right.
What do you consider "loonie left"?

Janet Yellen is Biden's pick for Treasury - CNNPolitics - she was the head of the Federal Reserve, the US's central bank, over 2014 - 2018.

Elizabeth Warren likes her:
"Janet Yellen would be an outstanding choice for Treasury Secretary. She is smart, tough, and principled," Warren said. "As one of the most successful Fed Chairs ever, she has stood up to Wall Street banks, including holding Wells Fargo accountable for cheating working families."
The Progressive Change Campaign Committee also likes her:
"Among those not named Elizabeth Warren, Janet Yellen is high up on the list of people favored by progressives and people across the Democratic Party," PCCC co-founder Adam Green said in a statement. "Biden knew that someone beholden to Wall Street would have undermined his ambitious economic campaign promises at the worst possible time. As Treasury Secretary, Yellen will faithfully implement the ambitious economic agenda Biden campaigned on."

Mondaire Jones, NY-17-elect, has a thing or two to say about Rahm Emanuel.

Mondaire Jones on Twitter: "Rahm Emanuel covered up the murder of a Black teenager, Laquan McDonald, while he was Mayor of Chicago.

That he's being considered for a cabinet position is completely outrageous and, honestly, very hurtful. https://t.co/JEB6PRyztK" / Twitter

noting
Rahm Emanuel under consideration to become Biden's transportation secretary - CNNPolitics

Mondaire Jones on Twitter: "During negotiations over the Affordable Care Act, President Obama's signature achievement, Rahm tried to weaken the bill. https://t.co/ZkoPoA557c" / Twitter
noting
Health Vote Caps a Journey Back From the Brink - The New York Times - from 2010

Mondaire Jones on Twitter: "In his first year as Mayor, he closed more than half of Chicago's public mental health clinics.

Those clinics disproportionately served Black clients, and caused a spike in mental health crises leading to psychiatric hospitalizations. https://t.co/ZLw3PBR8fE" / Twitter

noting
It’s time to reopen Chicago’s closed mental health clinics - Chicago ReporterChicago Reporter

Mondaire Jones on Twitter: "In 2013, he closed 50 public schools — the largest school closure in United States history — most of which were in Black neighborhoods. https://t.co/U6dnrxolOM" / Twitter
noting
What led Chicago to shutter dozens of majority-black schools? Racism | Eve Ewing | Opinion | The Guardian

Mondaire Jones on Twitter: "I believe the Biden Administration is sincerely committed to dismantling systemic racism. Giving Rahm Emanuel a cabinet position would threaten that vital work.

If you agree, please sign our petition: https://t.co/L5jezn0luu" / Twitter

President Elect Joe Biden(d) puts former top Golden Slacks executive in charge transition for financial regulation.
Oh these moderates. I knew it. I just knew it. All Biden needed was the list from Burn It Down Bernie on how to straighten out Wall St. But no. Once again these dyed-in-the-wool politicians turn to people within the industry to regulate the industry. WTF is wrong with them? What they really need, what this country really needs is an outsider. Someone with seething hatred, who knows nothing of what they're talking about to...
Wait.
Where am I going with this?

Nah. That's the Trump way to do things! Biden is a uniter. He wants people to unite and come together and tackle problems collectively. Putting Sanders (and Warren) into leadership/regulation positions over industries that they hate would just create another war. Plus they have important positions in the senate. Janet Yellen will do a great job!

I think the cabinet, when finally filled out, should do a parody video of the Trump cabinet kissing his ass and thanking Jesus they can sit near Trump -- that awful, humiliating scene from '17. Except Biden's cabinet will say stuff like, "Joe, on some stuff you are really full of shit" and "Joe, I'm happy to be here, but watch those chimichanga farts" and "Joe, nap time isn't til 4:30 -- wake the fuck up."
I could really respect a cabinet like that.

I think the cabinet, when finally filled out, should do a parody video of the Trump cabinet kissing his ass and thanking Jesus they can sit near Trump -- that awful, humiliating scene from '17. Except Biden's cabinet will say stuff like, "Joe, on some stuff you are really full of shit" and "Joe, I'm happy to be here, but watch those chimichanga farts" and "Joe, nap time isn't til 4:30 -- wake the fuck up."
I could really respect a cabinet like that.

I was just thinking about that spectacle. Memorable moments from the Trump presidency.

President Elect Joe Biden(d) puts former top Golden Slacks executive in charge transition for financial regulation.
Oh these moderates. I knew it. I just knew it. All Biden needed was the list from Burn It Down Bernie on how to straighten out Wall St. But no. Once again these dyed-in-the-wool politicians turn to people within the industry to regulate the industry. WTF is wrong with them? What they really need, what this country really needs is an outsider. Someone with seething hatred, who knows nothing of what they're talking about to...
Wait.

Nah. That's the Trump way to do things! Biden is a uniter. He wants people to unite and come together and tackle problems collectively. Putting Sanders (and Warren) into leadership/regulation positions over industries that they hate would just create another war. Plus they have important positions in the senate. Janet Yellen will do a great job!

I wonder...
If Sleepy Joe can move the Party even further to the right, might we see a new Progressive Party emerge on the left?
And moving forward, if Biden succeeds well enough, might the GOP fade into obscurity while the "two party system" becomes Democrats vs. Progressives?

Wait.

It was sarcasm. Perhaps you were just piling on. My point being, not everyone who has worked in the industry is forever an evil minion of the industry. You can find people of good conscience everywhere, even on Wall St., if you look hard enough.

Back
Top Bottom