• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Price Waterhouse analyst murdered in his home by police

At some point she has to realize, “oh fuck”. It really is one of those moments of gross negligence, but it lacks intent. There needs to be a price paid, but prison doesn’t seem correct.

But I’m glad our SYG people think that a person in their home has no right to defend it.

What does the lady being a cop have to do with anything? She wasn’t on duty. Should we read in that her being a woman is also relevant somehow?

Exactly, why it's not that we have a spate of cops killing black folk for no reason. These people are scary, everyone knows. Even the teenagers are so scary it's best to put 'em down first and ask questions/make excuses later.

At some point she has to realize, “oh fuck”. It really is one of those moments of gross negligence, but it lacks intent. There needs to be a price paid, but prison doesn’t seem correct.

But I’m glad our SYG people think that a person in their home has no right to defend it.

Yes, prison does seem correct. When the police demonstrate that they can police themselves, then they can police the rest of us.

Wow. Murder did fit the facts technically, it was defined as intentionally causing death or serious bodily harm, but I do think manslaughter is more appropriate. She didn't go there to murder him, she was really mistaken, but then acted recklessly. Murder sentencing is 5 to life. Manslaughter would have been 2 to 20 years, so they could still sentence her in that range.

I'm smelling an appeal. I hope the parents of the victim get some sense of justice here. And she doesn't walk.

Well, if he was standing right after the door, she would not have time to realize it's not her apartment.
Problem is that she shot the guy without checking if he was armed or threatening to her.
On the other hand, imagine you are at home playing with your gun and police comes by mistake, you're dead.
I think everyone including police should be disarmed :)

.. and people who "play" with guns get shot... usually by themselves... but sometimes it takes a cop to get the job done right.

Exactly, why it's not that we have a spate of cops killing black folk for no reason.
I am having a hard time parsing this ungrammatical sentence. But to clarify, no, there is no "spate" of cops killing "black folk" for no reason. Vast majority of police killings are justified and even in those rare cases where a shooting is deemed unjustfied there is still some reason why deadly force was used. Example: Laquan McDonald was high on PCP and was menacing the neighborhood with a knife, even stabbing at cop cars as they responded.

Even the teenagers are so scary it's best to put 'em down first and ask questions/make excuses later.
Sometimes the teenagers are scariest of all. Physically an adult, but a brain still developing in a way that makes them act more impulsively than older people.
Example:
A Georgia man shot and killed 3 masked teens as they tried to rob him at his home, police say
CNN said:
A Georgia homeowner shot and killed three teens as they approached his residence with their faces covered, authorities said.

The masked teens -- a 15-year-old and two 16-year-olds -- approached three residents around 4 a.m. Monday at the front yard of a home just outside Conyers and tried to rob them, the Rockdale County Sheriff's Office said.
One of the would-be robbers took out a gun and fired shots at them before one of the residents returned fire, authorities said.
"The victims of the attempted robbery were all uninjured, but the three attempted robbery suspects were all shot during the exchange of gunfire and succumbed to their injuries, one on scene and two at a local hospital after being transported," the sheriff's department said in a news release.
Seriously, what makes you think that "teenagers" are automatically harmless (or at least mostly harmless) just because they are young?

I'm smelling an appeal.

Since it's really manslaughter and not murder I really hope so. The defense got screwed during the jury selection I think.

Eh, I would think this fits 2nd degree murder - it’s a reckless disregard for human life to fire a gun in someone else’s apartment. Manslaughter usually involves crimes of passion or negligence.

Reactions: WAB
Exactly, why it's not that we have a spate of cops killing black folk for no reason.
I am having a hard time parsing this ungrammatical sentence. But to clarify, no, there is no "spate" of cops killing "black folk" for no reason. Vast majority of police killings are justified and even in those rare cases where a shooting is deemed unjustfied there is still some reason why deadly force was used.

Even the teenagers are so scary it's best to put 'em down first and ask questions/make excuses later.
Sometimes the teenagers are scariest of all. Physically an adult, but a brain still developing in a way that makes them act more impulsively than older people.

Some of us keep up with the antics of the police, sorry.

I'm smelling an appeal.

Since it's really manslaughter and not murder I really hope so. The defense got screwed during the jury selection I think.

Well, under more common circumstances you're right. Manslaughter is generally "accidental murder". For a killing to be a murder, there typically has to be either an intent to kill, or, at minimum, conduct so reckless that it is punishable as murder.

She intended to kill. She thought she had the right to kill.
The conduct was incredibly reckless, as it was a trivial matter to notice she was not in her own home.

This was technically second degree murder. It couldn't be proved it was premeditated, "first degree murder", nor was it of a particularly vulnerable person or during the commision of another crime, "felony murder", but it also fails to fit "Manslaughter", as there was indeed an intent to kill. She thought she was "standing her ground".. but she was standing on someone elses ground.

I'm smelling an appeal.

Well, under more common circumstances you're right. Manslaughter is generally "accidental murder". For a killing to be a murder, there typically has to be either an intent to kill, or, at minimum, conduct so reckless that it is punishable as murder.

She intended to kill. She thought she had the right to kill.
The conduct was incredibly reckless, as it was a trivial matter to notice she was not in her own home.

This was technically second degree murder. It couldn't be proved it was premeditated, "first degree murder", nor was it of a particularly vulnerable person or during the commision of another crime, "felony murder", but it also fails to fit "Manslaughter", as there was indeed an intent to kill. She thought she was "standing her ground".. but she was standing on someone elses ground.

We really went astray with this if-I'm-scared-I-get-ta-kill-ya shit.

Eh, I would think this fits 2nd degree murder - it’s a reckless disregard for human life to fire a gun in someone else’s apartment. Manslaughter usually involves crimes of passion or negligence.

But she thought she was in her own apartment. That is negligent homicide, i.e. manslaughter.

We live in a crazy world. A few years ago Mary Winkler murdered her husband with a shotgun while he slept. Clearly premeditated murder (even though people on here defended her because the perp was a woman and her victim a white man, so obviously lower on the progressive stack), but she was only convicted of manslaughter and had to serve mere 60 days. How is that manslaughter but this is murder?

It won't get overturned just because they decided murder. It's legitimate to call it murder. The defense did challenge the venue, so maybe they'll go for that again.

Back
Top Bottom