• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

EvoUK

Basic Beliefs
Atheist
Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

The couple had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."

Link

He died this morning. Unlike when the Queen dies, there is unlikely to be huge ceremony on the lead up to his funeral 10 days from now (though the funeral itself will be ceremonious).

How it will all happen in Covid is an interesting question, however.

Guardian's obituary is dated 21 Feb by mistake. So evidently they thought the last health issue he had was it.

Oops

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

The couple had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."

Link

He died this morning. Unlike when the Queen dies, there is unlikely to be huge ceremony on the lead up to his funeral 10 days from now (though the funeral itself will be ceremonious).

How it will all happen in Covid is an interesting question, however.

Their vaccination roll out has been quite good though.

Fortunately, the vaccine roll out has been one of the few things my government hasn't been murderously incompetent at.

On the subject though:

The coronavirus pandemic will have a major impact on the carefully laid plans for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral.

The duke’s funeral is still expected to be televised and held at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, PA reports, but with Covid restrictions still in place, the public elements of the final farewell to the Queen’s consort will not be able to take place in their original form.

Under the earlier arrangements for the coming days, codenamed Forth Bridge, thousands of people would have been expected to flock to London and Windsor for a military procession of Philip’s coffin on the day of his funeral.

Hundreds of members of the armed forces would have been called upon to line the streets in honour of the duke, along with thousands of police officers to keep control of crowds and protect the members of the royal family taking part.

Organisers are said to be “desperately anxious” not to stage anything that attracts mass gatherings, one source said.

From the onset of the pandemic, planners have been busy behind the scenes working out a contingency strategy in case the duke died during the coronavirus crisis - a worst-case scenario of major concurrent events - a fear that has come true.

Preparations are expected to centre on Windsor Castle, without the military procession in London or any processions through Windsor.

Current rules on funerals in England mean only a maximum of 30 people may attend, and they must socially distance if they do not live together or share a support bubble.

This means the Queen will have to decide which members of her large family should be invited.

The monarch, her children and other relatives present may have to wear face coverings and stay two metres away from one another if they are not from the same household.

It is likely there will be some military involvement to honour the duke’s service to the armed forces. This will most likely be socially distanced and in the confines of Windsor Castle’s grounds.

World leaders and Commonwealth representatives, as well as foreign royals, former and current politicians and military chiefs would have been among those due to be invited to gather at the funeral, but such arrangements will now be impossible. Much depends on the guidance issued to the Royal Household from the government over the next few days.

Link

Guardian's obituary is dated 21 Feb by mistake. So evidently they thought the last health issue he had was it.

Oops

Obituaries are frequently written in advance, especially for old people, so they can get the news of the death out to the public in a matter of minutes. They just have to remember to update the actual time, date and details of the death before they publish it. Obviously, The Guardian forgot. Or in the case of Bob Hope, one news agency accidentally released his pre-written obituary while he was still alive, but very old and frail. Apparently, he asked his publicist in his usual dry comedic way, "It isn't true, is it?"

Oops

Obituaries are frequently written in advance, especially for old people, so they can get the news of the death out to the public in a matter of minutes. They just have to remember to update the actual time, date and details of the death before they publish it. Obviously, The Guardian forgot. Or in the case of Bob Hope, one news agency accidentally released his pre-written obituary while he was still alive, but very old and frail. Apparently, he asked his publicist in his usual dry comedic way, "It isn't true, is it?"

Yes, I'm a (minor) part of Operation Forth Bridge and we've had all the letters/tweets of mourning written up for several years.

A very old man, who is neither a friend nor even an acquaintance of mine, or even of anyone I know, has died.

That's not newsworthy. It's a daily occurrence.

I am sure it's very sad for his family and friends, and I am not unsympathetic to their loss.

But it's not something that holds any particular interest to me.

A quarter of a million people a day die around the world. I literally don't have the time to mourn those I don't know, and nor does anyone else.

EyhyQ-oW8AEh3eQ

EyjZPyMXMAMa4b9

I do not understand why people in the US are so interested in British Royalty. This is not to say that the British should not be. I understand that there is a fair about of debate about the British Royalty in the UK. But why do US people care so much? At least it's harmless I suppose.

Make that some people. "Fergie" cured me of any interest I had, back in the 80s. They're like kryptonite to me, or really, just lint in the air. I can't really dismiss your point, though, considering the tabloid value of their royal heinies.

He will be missed.

"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?" Asked of a Scottish driving instructor in 1995."

"British women can't cook."

"What do you gargle with – pebbles?" To Tom Jones, after the Royal Variety Performance, 1969. He added the following day: "It is very difficult at all to see how it is possible to become immensely valuable by singing what I think are the most hideous songs."

"There's a lot of your family in tonight." After glancing at business chief Atul Patel's name badge during a 2009 Buckingham Palace reception for 400 influential British Indians to meet the Royal couple."

"If it has four legs and it is not a chair, if it has got two wings and it flies but is not an aeroplane and if it swims and it is not a submarine, the Cantonese will eat it." Said to a World Wildlife Fund meeting in 1986."

"You ARE a woman, aren't you?" To a woman in Kenya in 1984, after accepting a gift.

"I would like to go to Russia very much – although the bastards murdered half my family." In 1967, asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.

"Oh, it's you that owns that ghastly car is it? We often see it when driving to Windsor Castle." To neighbour Elton John after hearing he had sold his Watford FC-themed Aston Martin in 2001.

"Oh no, I might catch some ghastly disease." On a visit to Australia in 1992, when asked if he wanted to stroke a koala bear.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/prince-philip-quotes-jokes-gaffes-b1829205.html

I do not understand why people in the US are so interested in British Royalty. This is not to say that the British should not be. I understand that there is a fair about of debate about the British Royalty in the UK. But why do US people care so much? At least it's harmless I suppose.

It might have to do with childhood fairy tales. Little girls want to be princesses and they want little boys to be their prince charmings or knights in shining armor.

In the US a good American despises monarchy and all that goes with it.

He was a human and one can feel empathy for the people that actually knew him and are mourning.

But the institution he was a part of is despicable.

There are many in the US however that worship the monarchy of England like mindless children.

In the US a good American despises monarchy and all that goes with it.

He was a human and one can feel empathy for the people that actually knew him and are mourning.

But the institution he was a part of is despicable.

There are many in the US however that worship the monarchy of England like mindless children.

Oprah?

If you are saying that Oprah's world view is on the level of a child and that is one reason she has such wide appeal I would agree.

Back
Top Bottom