• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Princess Ivanka tries to butt into a high-level conversation

Wait, are you trying to say that she won an election by nepotism?
That is not how elections work.
And that is not what nepotism means.

The list of her credentials that led her to being elected to the senate include:
Being first lady for Bill Clinton
Being married to Bill Clinton

Why does everyone forget she was a staff attorney for the House Judiciary Committee, had a very successful career at a powerful law firm, served on the board of directors for several corporations including WalMart, and spearheaded several reforms and legislation during her time as First Lady?

Is it because Bill Clinton looms so large in their minds they can barely see Hillary, or is it just misogynist auto-dismissal of a married woman 's career?

... Ivanka's intelligence is less the issue than her complete and utter lack of any relevant experience in the field of (or any field remotely tangent to) diplomacy.

It doesn't help that she bears an uncommon resemblance to the ditsy Phoebe character on the "Friends" sitcom. And as her dad likes to tell her when she steps out of line: "Honey, you sell shoes."

The list of her credentials that led her to being elected to the senate include:

Why does everyone forget she was a staff attorney for the House Judiciary Committee, had a very successful career at a powerful law firm, served on the board of directors for several corporations including WalMart, and spearheaded several reforms and legislation during her time as First Lady?

Is it because Bill Clinton looms so large in their minds they can barely see Hillary, or is it just misogynist auto-dismissal of a married woman 's career?

Or, for the people who insist Hillary was unqualified AND that Ivanka deserves a seat at the adult table, cognitive dissonance coupled with shallow partisanship.

Or, for the people who insist Hillary was unqualified AND that Ivanka deserves a seat at the adult table, cognitive dissonance coupled with shallow partisanship.

And Secretary of State, Senator from NY, and, and, and....

The real issue is not that the daughter of the POTUS attend high level meetings with heads of state and other high ranking officials discussing important international issues but rather that she lacks any official or appropriate formal credentials to attend such meetings, much less represent the United States in any official capacity. Credentials are enormously important at all levels of diplomacy and are not limited to nor reflective of professional accomplishments or degrees held. Such credentials are given to individuals explicitly for the purpose of representing the nation’s intersts and may be accepted or rejected by foreign powers.

She also has no accountability for any of her actions. As unqualified as she may be it’d be better if Trump *had* actually appointed her to a position in the State department, though that may be technically not allowed (as if he’d care).

Why can't it be both??????

Also I don't think anyone gives a shit about the 'married' part. It's the 'woman' part that they can't stomach.

They have picked up the meme that being a bar tender isn't qualfication for being a congress women and writing our laws and criticizing the Trumps.

Actually it is enough qualification for that. She was elected to her position by her constituents (unlike Ivanka). Now, if she is/was appointed to role by somebody claiming she's the best person for the job based on her expertise, then they'd be right to criticize her this way. Plus even if AOC did deserve such criticism, that doesn't mean Ivanka doesn't.

It's too bad you didn't tell the voters of New York all that before they elected her.

They knew. It was those credentials that got her elected. That's why she ran in New York instead is somewhere else.

Why can't it be both??????

Also I don't think anyone gives a shit about the 'married' part. It's the 'woman' part that they can't stomach.

I've always thought that Hillary could never win simply because she's married to Bill Clinton and Republicans hated him so much as President that it would bring out the Republican vote. But I have no idea how big a part her being a woman played. If anything it should have been an advantage against a misogynistic cretin like Trump.

I'm just pointing out hypocrisy.
You're also pointing out nepotism...but if she was elected into office, that's, like, the entire opposite of nepotism.

Its not the opposite. If you are famous because you are married to somebody, and then get elected on name recognition, that's not nepotism, but its kind of related. Its not like AOC who came pretty much out of nowhere and got herself elected. Ivanka didn't get elected... so I don't see why she should be anywhere near the diplomat conversations.

And yet these were more credentials that Don the Con had when the majority of Americans who voted didn't vote for him as Prez.

I agree with you somewhat on Clintons, like the Bushes and the Kennedys, benefitting from name recogninition of a previously elected relative. We have the same problem here in Canada with our present gormless Prime Minister.
As for nobody here defending Ivanka---Unless one is a paid attorney, one should not try to defend the indefensible.

I agree with you somewhat on Clintons, like the Bushes and the Kennedys, benefitting from name recogninition of a previously elected relative. We have the same problem here in Canada with our present gormless Prime Minister.

Indeed. Justin really is a case of a guy winning an election (for Prime Minister even) pretty much on name recognition and legacy alone.

You're also pointing out nepotism...but if she was elected into office, that's, like, the entire opposite of nepotism.
Its not the opposite. If you are famous because you are married to somebody, and then get elected on name recognition, that's not nepotism, but its kind of related.
You kniw, when fundies insist that holes in Big Bang Theory are problems for evolution, because the two theories are 'kind of related,' they just look ign'nint, ignoring the actual definitions of actual words.

Hillary's marriage status was not her only claim to fame. At the time she was in the White House, some conservatives made sure to be quite upset at the power she wielded in the administration. THAT might have been seen as nepotism, but it could also be seen that she worked just as hard as Bill did for the two of them to get there, and it was more of a partnership the whole time.
She was not coy about the goals for their Presidency. I remember my reaction to her being a political animal, and Bill being an adulterer was to look at all the vomplaints and wonder, why are these people acting surprised?

Either way, when she ran for office, she was a lot more to voters than Mrs. Bill Clinton. And it was not the Mrs. that was her only qualification for State.

So, unless every voter owed Bill a favor, which he collected to win her the Senate seat, it's not even related to nepotism.

Its not the opposite. If you are famous because you are married to somebody, and then get elected on name recognition, that's not nepotism, but its kind of related. Its not like AOC who came pretty much out of nowhere and got herself elected. Ivanka didn't get elected... so I don't see why she should be anywhere near the diplomat conversations.

Recognition might be a factor, but it isn't everything. Just ask President Fred Thompson. And to say Hillary Clinton's only claim is being married to Bill kinda overlooks the political campaigns she worked in before her surname became Clinton. Can't say the same about Ivanka. And I can't believe this has to be pointed out.

And yet these were more credentials that Don the Con had when the majority of Americans who voted didn't vote for him as Prez.

So you're saying that if Donald Trump had married Bill Clinton he'd have been qualified then?

Back
Top Bottom