• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Proselytizing

I guess he wasn't a good Christian. Cause he died.

Some Christians would say that this makes him the best kind of Christian - a martyr. Indeed, I have heard this said of him.

Other, less charitably inclined non-Christians might agree that he is now the best kind of Christian.

But it is a weird thing to be on a mission from God and you're thinking God's on your side. Then, before you can tell the savages the good news, suddenly you're dead.

I often make the claim that Natural Selection weeds out the crazies, leaves us with the neocrazies, and that we shouldn't confuse the neocrazies with the real crazies. That said, I consider it a bit of an unfortunate privilege to witness the demise of one of the actual crazies. Someone like Pat Robertson, for example, should never be confused with this guy, a true crazy.

I guess he wasn't a good Christian. Cause he died.

Some Christians would say that this makes him the best kind of Christian - a martyr. Indeed, I have heard this said of him.

Other, less charitably inclined non-Christians might agree that he is now the best kind of Christian.

Indeed, some have already compared him to  St Sebastian.

Sebastia.jpg

He broke the law by going to the island. The fishermen who took him have been arrested. His friend, who helped set things up, was also arrested. And he may have spread disease to the islanders.

Great job, JF boy.

At least his heart was in the right place.

Otherwise the arrows wouldn't have killed him.

I guess they were protecting their border from an illegal alien.
View attachment 18987

The media is making this dumb ass Missionary out to be some kind of hero. Sorry but he's no hero. He knew that it was illegal because 1:these people don't want outsiders on their island and 2: and in all likelihood contact with outsiders would have spread deadly diseases for which these people have no immunity.

Not only was he trespassing but his presence could easily have killed this tribe.

Darwin Award for sure with the added plus that these people will probably continue to live just fine in the culture that they prefer - instead of all being dead.

I have a cousin who went off to BYU and became a Mormon. She graduated, married and proceeded to produce scads of little baby Mormons. As the years went by the little Mormons went out of their Missions to spread stupidity and to destroy cultures. I got sick of the Xmas letter from this cousin telling all about her kids Missions. I finally replied back what despicable people missionaries are and that it's nothing to brag about to try to destroy cultures.

Speaking of proselytizing...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/asia/andaman-nicobar-us-missionary-killed-intl/index.html

New Delhi (CNN) An American Christian believed to have been engaged in missionary work appears to have been killed by tribespeople from one of the world's most isolated communities, on a remote island hundreds of miles off the coast of India, according to officials.

The 27-year-old American, identified as John Allen Chau, came to India on a tourist visa but came to the Andaman and Nicobar islands in October with the express purpose of proselytizing, Dependra Pathak, director general of police of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, told CNN.

"We refuse to call him a tourist. Yes, he came on a tourist visa but he came with a specific purpose to preach on a prohibited island," Pathak said.

Darwin Award candidate for the 21st century, IMHO.

Christians have gone to NK carrying religious material banned in NK and gets caught distributing it. They go to jil.

If somebody wants to tempt fate for faith I have no problem, just don't expect the Marines to risk their likes over you.

It has happened in Iran and Turkey. It goes to how deep in culture this obsession with faith goes.

THE big difference here vs NK is that this jackass missionary could likely have killed off this entire tribe by bringing disease that these people have no immunity.

If this guy didn't know that, he should have known. Willfully risking the lifes of these people is inexcusable. If he is alive he should he convicted at the very minimum of attempted manslaughter.

THE big difference here vs NK is that this jackass missionary could likely have killed off this entire tribe by bringing disease that these people have no immunity.

If this guy didn't know that, he should have known. Willfully risking the lives of these people is inexcusable. If he is alive he should he convicted at the very minimum of attempted manslaughter.

It's being reported that he wrote in his diary that God had aided him to evade the coast guard during his illegal boat journey to the island. I wouldn't be surprised if he believed God would magically faith-heal the islanders of any diseases. :rolleyes:

If this guy didn't know that, he should have known. Willfully risking the lives of these people is inexcusable. If he is alive he should he convicted at the very minimum of attempted manslaughter.

It's being reported that he wrote in his diary that God had aided him to evade the coast guard during his illegal boat journey to the island. I wouldn't be surprised if he believed God would magically faith-heal the islanders of any diseases. :rolleyes:

Boat journey??

If he was truly faithful, he would have walked. :D

I hope that he is not dead. I hope he goes to prison for attempted manslaughter.

I hope that he is not dead. I hope he goes to prison for attempted manslaughter.

As I understand, the natives were seen burying his body on the beach. So, hopefully, he was dead.

Jesus Christ!! So to speak.

I suspect he is dead, as the Sentinelese have reportedly buried him where he fell. Whether or not he was dead when that happened, he surely must be now.

Apparently there are attempts being made by the local police to recover his body. Quite why, I do not know - he should be left where he is, to avoid further upsetting the Sentinelese.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-26/police-struggling-to-remove-body-from-north-sentinel-island/10553704

Police approached the island on Saturday, positioning their boat approximately 400 metres off shore and looking through binoculars, but withdrew when they saw the Sentinelese lining up with bows and arrows.

"They stared at us and we were looking at them," said Andaman and Nicobar Islands' police chief Dependra Pathak,

"We have mapped the area with the help of these fishermen. We have not spotted the body yet but we roughly know the area where he is believed to be buried."

Mr Pathak said the authorities were consulting anthropologists, who had made rare previous contact with the tribe, for advice on how to extricate the body.

Apparently there are attempts being made by the local police to recover his body. Quite why, I do not know - he should be left where he is, to avoid further upsetting the Sentinelese.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-26/police-struggling-to-remove-body-from-north-sentinel-island/10553704

Police approached the island on Saturday, positioning their boat approximately 400 metres off shore and looking through binoculars, but withdrew when they saw the Sentinelese lining up with bows and arrows.

"They stared at us and we were looking at them," said Andaman and Nicobar Islands' police chief Dependra Pathak,

"We have mapped the area with the help of these fishermen. We have not spotted the body yet but we roughly know the area where he is believed to be buried."

Mr Pathak said the authorities were consulting anthropologists, who had made rare previous contact with the tribe, for advice on how to extricate the body.

The only reason to recover any body is to protect the inhabitants from disease. If not that than let him rot where he is.

As I understand, the natives were seen burying his body on the beach. So, hopefully, he was dead.

It would be best for the inhabitants if they buried him such that they don't get sick and die as a result of this missionaries contamination.

Christians have gone to NK carrying religious material banned in NK and gets caught distributing it. They go to jil.

If somebody wants to tempt fate for faith I have no problem, just don't expect the Marines to risk their likes over you.

It has happened in Iran and Turkey. It goes to how deep in culture this obsession with faith goes.

If this guy didn't know that, he should have known. Willfully risking the lifes of these people is inexcusable.

It's been awhile since I studied up on the whole "Christians bringing Jesus to the savages" thing, but I'm fairly well certain that "make sure we're not inadvertently spreading disease among the natives" was never very high on their list of priorities.

If this guy didn't know that, he should have known. Willfully risking the lifes of these people is inexcusable.

It's been awhile since I studied up on the whole "Christians bringing Jesus to the savages" thing, but I'm fairly well certain that "make sure we're not inadvertently spreading disease among the natives" was never very high on their list of priorities.

Indeed not. History is full of white christian using disease to wipe out native populations. The American expansion west included this early form of bio warfare.

It'll be interesting to see if the Indian and/or American governments manage to retrieve him, dead or alive. Kinda reminds me of that American college student who entered the lion's den by going to North Korea and then trying to steal a Kim dynasty banner.

It seems this is not the first time authorities have attempted to retrieve corpses from the island. There was a similar incident back in 2006 where the Indian coast guard managed to salvage the bodies of one of two fishermen who were killed while trespassing there.

Back
Top Bottom