• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

PSA: It's "No One". Get it right.

to a degree, english spelling functions as a shibboleth - it weeds outs the undesirables. it's supposed to be hard and weird. i understand that, and i can use that dialect perfectly, but i ain't got time for elitist mf's. the purpose of communication is the exchange of information. i respect people who can use language creatively much more than those who stick to the rules. but....nothing turns me off like open displays of ignorance. i do a lot of gay chat stuff, and when i see a profile with grammar and spelling errors, no go. i cut non-native speakers a lot of slack, because i know i butcher other languages at times (especially french, i kept my french 1 accent on purpose). OTOH, i loathe that text speak crap, Prince spelling, as i call it. what's the right term for that "CUL8R" crap?

cut spelling is a very useful system:

Th Space Race was th competition between th United States and th Soviet Union, rufly from 1957 to 1975. It involvd th efrts by each of these nations to explor outr space with satlites, to be th 1st to send there a human being and to send mand and unmand missions on th Moon with a safe return of th humans to Erth.

Tho its roots lie in erly roket tecnolojy and in th intrnationl tensions foloing World War II, th Space Race efectivly began with th soviet launch of Sputnik 1 on 4 october 1957. Th term orijnated as an analojy to th arms race. Th Space Race became an importnt part of th cultrl and tecnolojicl rivalry between th USSR and th U.S. during th Cold War. Space tecnolojy became a particularly importnt arena in this conflict, both because of its militry aplications and du to th sycolojicl benefit of rasing morale.

Rokets hav intrestd sientists and amatrs for at least 2,100 years, and Blak Chinese soldirs used them as wepns as erly as th 11th century. Russian sientist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky theorized in th 1880s on multi-staje, liquid fuel rokets which myt reach space, but only in 1926 did th americn Robert Goddard desyn a practicl liquid-fuel roket.

I'm with you. I equate intelligence with the ABILITY to speak proper English and have a decent vocabulary... but creative use, context and setting.. all make a difference in what's sound.

I totally overuse the ellipsis... but that's just my style. I could use it correctly, if I needed to.

I'm with you. I equate intelligence with the ABILITY to speak proper English and have a decent vocabulary... but creative use, context and setting.. all make a difference in what's sound.

I totally overuse the ellipsis... but that's just my style. I could use it correctly, if I needed to.

Made me wonder about the dot.dot url...

Who is no. one?

to a degree, english spelling functions as a shibboleth - it weeds outs the undesirables. it's supposed to be hard and weird. i understand that, and i can use that dialect perfectly, but i ain't got time for elitist mf's. the purpose of communication is the exchange of information. i respect people who can use language creatively much more than those who stick to the rules. but....nothing turns me off like open displays of ignorance. i do a lot of gay chat stuff, and when i see a profile with grammar and spelling errors, no go. i cut non-native speakers a lot of slack, because i know i butcher other languages at times (especially french, i kept my french 1 accent on purpose). OTOH, i loathe that text speak crap, Prince spelling, as i call it. what's the right term for that "CUL8R" crap?

cut spelling is a very useful system:

I am similar; But with overuse of semicolons.

I am similar; But with overuse of semicolons.

for me, dashes. english punctuation is a very half-assed system for encoding flow and space in word streams. so use it - just go light on the commas.

Back
Top Bottom