• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

question about human fetuses

Simple test. Brain transplantation becomes viable. Do you want to be the donor or the recipient?
I like the question. My answer is,,, NO.
But -
I think that if there was a regulatory agency dispensing/licensing the brains for transplantation, mine wouldn't qualify.
Of course receiving a brain, if successful, wouldn't create or perpetuate a new "me" in any aware way. So I'd try to bribe them into taking my brain for transplantation, but only if they could guarantee the recipient's specs. At that, I don't think that the nervous system is limited to the brain - it might appear to function but would I experience it as "me"? IOW, could I tell? I guess it would be someone, but I don't think it would be me.

I see only one difference between man and animal--the mind.
Meh. Unwarranted speciesism IMO.
The only manifest difference in minds is human technology.
The next time a fetus produces a new kind of cellphone that can detect sleeping breath sounds and silences itself (or something innovative) I will join the “Right to Life Protoplasm” movement.
I don’t even know anyone who claims to remember the trials and tribulations of being a fetus, let alone any technology they were thinking about at the time.
Technology is the manifestation of said mind.

Simple test. Brain transplantation becomes viable. Do you want to be the donor or the recipient?
Oddly enough, either answer is a difference without a distinction.

Back
Top Bottom