• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

question about nuclear target map

BH

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Muslim
I saw this map online:

I live in Corsicana, TX in Navarro County. I'm two counties south of Dallas TX. I can understand why the Russians would blow the DFW area to hell but why hit Freestone County right below us? The only thing I can think of is there is a big lake dam they may want to take out to deprive drinking water to large areas and maybe flood a large area too.

This is a map from 2015, and it was mostly nonsense back then.

The map appears to date back to an article from US broadcaster CBS in 2015. It claims to have used data from the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA), Medicine and Global Survival, and the National Resources Defense Council. FEMA, however, has distanced itself from the map. A spokesperson for the organisation said: “FEMA does not, and has not, released any type of formal map of potential nuclear targets. However, FEMA provides information to the public to help them prepare for a potential hazardous or radiological event through Ready.gov.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-map-nuclear-war-russia-b2279249.html

Also from the same source:
Some of the larger targets include active nuclear plants. There are approximately 90 plants across the US, with some located in Alabama, Arizona, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee.

That's just silly. What's the point of nuking a nuclear power plant? It's important electricity infrastructure, sure, but other than that it makes zero sense (it's a hard target, typically remote from anything else you might want to break) - and there are lots of other electrical infrastructure sites that make far more sensible strategic targets (such as hydroelectric dams, whose destruction also targets downstream infrastructure and industry, as well as water supplies), and it makes little sense to cut power to cities and/or industries that have ceased to exist.

The four kinds of targets I would expect to see in a nuclear strike are (in order of priority):
Any site that makes a rapid nuclear counterstrike possible - ICBM silos, airfields that host or can host nuclear capable bombers, SAC command and control sites, submarine ports and naval infrastructure, etc. - If you don't get all of these very quickly indeed, you're seriously fucked, and will not be winning any wars today.
Any site where conventional forces are concentrated - Army bases, Naval Bases, Military airfields, Large civilian airfields that could readily be used by the Airforce, Coastguard facilities, National Guard assets, etc. - You need to get all of these too, because revenge can easily be served cold if there's no nuclear option.
Civilian and military command and control infrastructure - The Capitol, Whitehouse and Pentagon; New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles; Other large cities with major centres of government (including all state capital cities)
Commercially important locations - Ports, Airports, major business hubs (such as the stock exchanges in New York, Chicago, Boston, Minneapolis, Kansas City), Industrial areas, particularly those associated with military production, or with oil and gas distribution, refining, etc.

Obviously there's a lot of overlap; Major commercial ports, for example, are also actual or potential naval and/or submarine ports.

Beyond these classes of target, there's not much point in using nukes. If you hit these, there's nothing left that can hit you back, or can rebuild the means to hit back, or can coordinate that rebuilding; and destroying the rest is counterproductive - presumably your long-range objective is to seize territory and/or resources, and that's easier if it's not all a radioactive wasteland. If your objective is simply to eradicate the US as an effective international power, commercially and militarily, that lot is more than enough to achieve that objective. Although it wouldn't be easy to do without getting mutually destroyed - indeed, you would be MAD to attempt such an attack. I can't see any plausible way to strike all of the first priority targets effectively and rapidly, particularly not the SLBM forces.

Jessica said: "As fears of a nuclear apocalypse and World War 3 abound..."
Oh really? Now I'm afraid.
Fuck you Jessica and your fearmongering. If anything, I am less worried about Russia having functioning nukes today than I was a couple years ago. China, yeah but what the hell is the point? What would the aftermath be? If anything, if China wanted to one up us significantly, they'd hit San Jose while we have someone very dovish in office and hope we don't retaliate.
And I'm going to listen to "real estate experts" like I'm going to listen to car salesmen on their expertise on cars.

Sir, the Chinese nuked Oakland.
So... an improvement?
Appears to be sir.

I saw this map online:

I live in Corsicana, TX in Navarro County. I'm two counties south of Dallas TX. I can understand why the Russians would blow the DFW area to hell but why hit Freestone County right below us? The only thing I can think of is there is a big lake dam they may want to take out to deprive drinking water to large areas and maybe flood a large area too.
Maybe the Russians know something you do not?

In the 60s our military and govt believed nuclear war was winnable. You could buy prefabbed bomb shelters to bury in your back yard. You hunker down for a few weeks and go back to business as usual.

Until the idea of a nuclear winter sunk in.

Once an intercontinental nuclear exchange starts it is all over.

I saw this map online:

Maybe the Russians know something you do not?

In the 60s our military and govt believed nuclear war was winnable. You could buy prefabbed bomb shelters to bury in your back yard. You hunker down for a few weeks and go back to business as usual.

Until the idea of a nuclear winter sunk in.

Yeah, life on earth comes to an end at that point. Doesn't matter what the targets of the nukes are. Kind of silly to pick out targets to be honest when the entire world would be screwed anyway. Just hit the button with the image of a dice on it and call it a day.

That's reassuring. :rolleyes:
Microbes outnumber us trillions to one. They can get along without us way better than we can get along without them.
Why should we be considered more important?

When I look at my children, I feel a profound sense of care and concern that's hard to articulate. It's not that I'm indifferent to the well-being of microbes; they're simply not my primary worry in the context of nuclear fallout.

When I look at my children, I feel a profound sense of care and concern that's hard to articulate.
That’s natural, I think.
It's not that I'm indifferent to the well-being of microbes;
I am quite indifferent to individual microbes.
they're simply not my primary worry in the context of nuclear fallout.
It would be silly to worry about them, either individually (they tend not to live long anyhow) or collectively (they'll probably be just fine, barring a major impact event).

Yeah, life on earth comes to an end at that point.

It's not that I'm indifferent to the well-being of microbes; they're simply not my primary worry in the context of nuclear fallout.
The idea that nuclear war could literally end humanity is a very useful one for focussing the minds of political leaders in why it's not a great idea to "push the button", but it was probably never true, not even in the 1980s when nuclear arsenals were at their largest.

Fallout is frankly a trivial edge effect of modern high-yield nukes; The reason so many radiation casualties occurred in the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings was that those early nukes were small and dirty. If you are close enough to a modern nuke to get seriously irradiated, you are probably already dead from thermal and/or blast effects, unless you are directly downwind of a ground-burst (and ground bursts are reserved for toughened military targets like ICBM silos or SAC headquarters - most of which are in remote places with bugger all population for miles in any direction).

A deliberate effort to use the entirety of the world's nucelar arsenals to eradicate as many humans as possible (an unlikely military scenario; Civilian deaths are 'collateral damage' in the effort to destroy your enemy's military capabilities) could probably reduce human population by 80-90%, but that leaves plenty of people to repopulate the world.

There are few viable military targets in the southern hemisphere, and plenty of people who live a very long way from any such target, particularly in Africa and South America.

We can seriously fuck things up, but human extinction is probably beyond our capabilities, and likely was even back in the day when the USA and USSR had far bigger arsenals than they do today.

Anyway, the question of whether nuclear war is imminent or plausible (and the larger question of whether we should be frightened by the prospect) is pure Putin propaganda, designed to pressure the US Congress into not funding or arming Ukraine. The reality is that allowing Ukraine to be defeated would in fact make a nuclear war with Russia more, and not less, likely.

Russia isn't going to use nukes just because they are chucked out of Donetsk, Luhansk, or even Crimea; But nukes could well fly if a Russia, emboldened by defeating Ukraine, and confident that the West will aquiesce to further agressive land-grabs, decides to invade or attack a NATO member state.

Bilby's hit the nail on the head—nuclear fallout isn't a mankind ender, after all. Can't wait to snag tickets to Disneyland in the post-apocalyptic utopia! I'm sure the lines will be short.

Bilby's hit the nail on the head—nuclear fallout isn't a mankind ender, after all. Can't wait to snag tickets to Disneyland in the post-apocalyptic utopia! I'm sure the lines will be short.
Whoever was in line will still be there. They'll probably let you cut in, though. :)
And I ain't getting on that melted roller coaster, either.

Extinction of HSS seems extremely unlikely. Far more likely in the aftermath of a global nuclear exchange, almost to a point of certainty is “the end of civilization as we know it”. And that’s going to happen without nukes, just probably slower. My own grandparents, were they to magically reappear, might say that the end of civilization as they knew it, has already occurred.

Back
Top Bottom