• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

"Race doesn't exist," and the myth is drowning blacks

.18 white children under the age of 1-year-old drown in swimming pools. Statistically zero black, NA, Hispanic or Asian children under the age of 1 drown in swimming pools. According to ApostateAbe, this must mean that white babies need to stay very far away from swimming pools because they are genetically inferior.
"...genetically inferior." Is that the misunderstanding? I will presume it is a misunderstanding and not just a crude strawman. If blacks have higher body density due to genetics, it does not follow that they are genetically inferior.

It follows that they have a higher risk of drowning. The denser bones of blacks means they have a much lower rate of osteoporosis. It may be a better trade.
No, it doesn't "follow" and the CDC statistic show very clearly that your alleged "bone density" has no affect on drowning rates. If it did, it would be consistent across age groups and across settings. It isn't.

And, yeah, I think it makes perfect sense that white babies stay away from pools for the sake of safety.
All people who do not know how to swim should stay away from swimming pools or, better yet, be taught to swim.

Paper titled "Anthropometric characteristics of elite adolescent competitive swimmers"

Male athletes:

Density
(g ml"1) 1.0720 ± 0.0042

Nearly 80% of people who die from drowning are male.

According to ApostateAbe's "scientific" "logic", all men should stay very very far away from water at all times.
I don't argue for absolutes, but I do think it pays to know the differential risks and the reason for it. Males have likewise much greater body densities than females and therefore three times the drowning risk. I expect we are perfectly willing to accept that inference. But, applying such reasoning to racial differences, no, no, no, such reasoning must be slandered, ridiculed, shouted down, and kept off the table.

Maybe YOU are willing to accept your ridiculous claims about both men and "races", but I'm not.

So, using your ridiculous idea about bone denisity, why do white children under the age of 4 drown at a so much higher rate than black children under the age of 4? According to you, it should be the opposite.

Using your ridiculous idea about bone density, why do white people drown in boating accidents at such a higher rate than black people? According to you, it should be the opposite.

According to ApostateAbe's "scientific" "logic", all men should stay very very far away from water at all times.
I don't argue for absolutes, but I do think it pays to know the differential risks and the reason for it. Males have likewise much greater body densities than females and therefore three times the drowning risk. I expect we are perfectly willing to accept that inference. But, applying such reasoning to racial differences, no, no, no, such reasoning must be slandered, ridiculed, shouted down, and kept off the table.

Maybe YOU are willing to accept your ridiculous claims about both men and "races", but I'm not.

So, using your ridiculous idea about bone denisity, why do white children under the age of 4 drown at a so much higher rate than black children under the age of 4? According to you, it should be the opposite.

Using your ridiculous idea about bone density, why do white people drown in boating accidents at such a higher rate than black people? According to you, it should be the opposite.
To answer your two questions, I am not sure, but I think the totals are generally more important than subsets in isolation. Maybe you are suggesting that I should have cherry-picked.

Or more likely, it is evidence that Apostate Abe cherry picks his data to support his racist position.
WHAT DATA WAS CHERRY-PICKED?

When you insist that blacks drown at a higher rate because of bone density, but you repeatedly fail to show that this "bone density" idea of yours is consistent across ages, genders, situations, or nations. You took ONE data point, and ignored all the rest that disprove your racist position.

WHAT DATA WAS CHERRY-PICKED?

When you insist that blacks drown at a higher rate because of bone density, but you repeatedly fail to show that this "bone density" idea of yours is consistent across ages, genders, situations, or nations. You took ONE data point, and ignored all the rest that disprove your racist position.
If there is a difference in average body densities between two groups, then that is enough to predict differences in drowning rates between the two groups. It is not necessary that the body densities be consistent across ages, genders, situations, or nations. I ignore it because it isn't relevant. I cherry-picked data because I ignored data about the height of rose bushes in Wales.

Paper titled "Anthropometric characteristics of elite adolescent competitive swimmers"

Male athletes:

Density
(g ml"1) 1.0720 ± 0.0042
That is an interesting result. It means that the body density of the average elite adolescent competitive swimmer is about equal to the body density of the average young black man. I think such a body density among elite swimmers would follow from high muscle mass and low fat. Do you take it as an argument that body density is not a variable of drowning risk? If so, then I will respond to it.

If there is a difference in average body densities between two groups, then that is enough to predict differences in drowning rates between the two groups.
except that it isn't because it does NOT "predict" anything. If it did, it would be consistent across ages, genders, situations, or nations.

Apparently Iceland, Finland, and Japan have really large black populations. Their drowning rates exceed that of the US

If there is a difference in average body densities between two groups, then that is enough to predict differences in drowning rates between the two groups.
except that it isn't because it does NOT "predict" anything. If it did, it would be consistent across ages, genders, situations, or nations.
I normally take a difference between two groups to be relevant for only those two groups. Body density is a single significant variable of drowning risk, but drowning risk is multivariate. Nobody should make the mistake of thinking that body density is the ONLY significant variable, like there is a 100% correlation between body density and drowning probability. There isn't. Swimming ability plays a part, for example. Access to swimming environments plays a part. And body density plays a part. A robust way to go about proving the point would be with a multivariate analysis. Lacking that, I rely on physics. I have the same style of argument with global warming. It is easy to make a lot of ad hoc claims about what may raise global temperatures, but the argument from the physics of the greenhouse effect is strongly predictive. You can just ignore physics and rely on speculations, but why would we?

China, well known for its very high percentage of black people*:

Child drowning deaths in China and the western Pacific region is a particular problem.11 Over one fifth of all drowning deaths in the world are estimated to occur in China.14 In the WHO survey of the disease burden of injury, China was the only country in which drowning ranked in the top 15 causes of both death and total burden of disease among all ages.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2610602/

* sarcasm

To answer your two questions, I am not sure, but I think the totals are generally more important than subsets in isolation.
Not when you are attempting to show that an isolated factor (bone density) is the primary factor in drownings. IF bone density was the primary factor, then bone density would be the primary factor regardless of age, gender, bodies of water, or nationality.

The fact that you completely ignored all of the other data sets disputing your claim proves that you are cherry picking your data to support your racist position.

To answer your two questions, I am not sure, but I think the totals are generally more important than subsets in isolation.
Not when you are attempting to show that an isolated factor (bone density) is the primary factor in drownings. IF bone density was the primary factor, then bone density would be the primary factor regardless of age, gender, bodies of water, or nationality.

The fact that you completely ignored all of the other data sets disputing your claim proves that you are cherry picking your data to support your racist position.
It really does not follow. I claim that body density (not just bone density) is the most probable primary causal variable in the difference in drowning rates between whites and blacks in America. It does not necessarily follow (though it may be) that the same variable is the primary variable that explains the difference in drowning rates between 1-year-old children and 18-year-old adults, nor between frequent swimmers and non-swimmers, nor between dogs and humans.

I normally take a difference between two groups to be relevant for only those two groups. Body density is a single significant variable of drowning risk, but drowning risk is multivariate. Nobody should make the mistake of thinking that body density is the ONLY significant variable, like there is a 100% correlation between body density and drowning probability. There isn't. Swimming ability plays a part, for example. Access to swimming environments plays a part. And body density plays a part...
You have completely failed to show that bone density actually plays any part in any drownings. Now, when forced to admit that the real factor - swimming ability - "plays a part" you think you can slide "bone density" in on equal footing? Nope.

Swimming ability is the number one most important factor in drownings by far. Situational factors such as water temperature, weather, alcohol, etc, have some influence.

Bone density has no influence. We know this because, among other reasons, pre-US-slavery blacks were the better swimmers compared to whites. We know this because, among other reasons, there is no statistical differences in drowning rates between blacks and whites in the UK (where swimming is taught more consistently across socio-economic levels) but the clear statistical differences remain for male vs female and for age groups.

It really does not follow. I claim that body density (not just bone density) is the most probable primary causal variable in the difference in drowning rates between whites and blacks in America.
actually, your OP claims BONE density, and also claims lung capacity as your favorite red herring. But we know that you like shifting goal posts whenever your "logic" is found fault. For instance, in your OP, you cherry picked "US" and "swimming pool" drownings. A few posts above, you claimed that you were citing totals, and objected to me pointing out that whites far exceed blacks in boating drownings, or that drowning among white children under the age of four in swimming pools far exceed those of black children under the age of 4.

It does not necessarily follow (though it may be) that the same variable is the primary variable that explains the difference in drowning rates between 1-year-old children and 18-year-old adults, nor between frequent swimmers and non-swimmers.
Except for the variable of swimming ability, you are correct in this isolated point, but then you also hereby discredit your main racist thesis about bone density, lung capacity, body density or any other supposed genetic differences you apply.

Swimming ability is the number 1 predictor for drowning vs not drowning. That applies across all age groups, all nations, all ethnic groups.

Some factors do vary. Statistically, children under the age of 4 do not drown in boating accidents while adults do. "Bone density" does not explain this variation. The fact that very few children under the age of 4 are boating on a regular basis does.

RavenSky, can you please tell me where you retrieved the information about drowning rates in the UK? The reports of the UK's National Water Safety Forum do not itemize the races/ethnicities of victims.

Body density is a single significant variable of drowning risk, but drowning risk is multivariate. Nobody should make the mistake of thinking that body density is the ONLY significant variable, like there is a 100% correlation between body density and drowning probability. There isn't.

Opening post was very univariate.

The racial drowning gap is a well-known problem, and the common way for authorities to solve this problem is to encourage blacks to learn how to swim. I take this to be akin to encouraging the public to learn how to juggle chainsaws,

That is an interesting result. It means that the body density of the average elite adolescent competitive swimmer is about equal to the body density of the average young black man. I think such a body density among elite swimmers would follow from high muscle mass and low fat. Do you take it as an argument that body density is not a variable of drowning risk? If so, then I will respond to it.

Opening post says:

The racial drowning gap is a well-known problem, and the common way for authorities to solve this problem is to encourage blacks to learn how to swim. I take this to be akin to encouraging the public to learn how to juggle chainsaws,

Real data say that black people, based on the density figures that you picked, are not too dense to swim safely. People that dense do swim safely and well.

Back
Top Bottom