• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Rape victim ordered to pay her abuser child support

Status
Not open for further replies.
What proof have you found that she lied bout her age?
I did not say she in particular did (although she might have - no way to know 16 years later one way or the other).
I was talking generally that this is an aspect of these laws that I find particularly egregious - they do not allow the other party lying about her age as a defense.
I have it on good authority that while young men may not be able to tell if a girl is under age by looking at her, they are pretty easily able to tell if they talk to her.
Because a 16 year old acts so much dumber than an 18 year old?
Wow. Just when I thought (certain) men couldn’t be any biggest assholes, I’m proven wrong, all over again.
Apologies, I should have said immature instead of dumb.

I bet her skirt was too short also. :rolleyes:
Too short for what?
To say "No, I don't want to go anywhere with you."?
To run away?
You know how in the other thread I keep mentioning that all of the responsibility for preventing pregnancy falls on the woman, not on the man? And complaining that men need to be held to the same level of responsibility? And how you keep claiming that you support equal responsibility for the prevention of pregnancy?

This is the kind of social scrutiny and expectation that I was talking about.

She was 16, he was 30. She drank underage. He took advantage. She got pregnant from him taking advantage of both her age and her intoxication.

But your response here is textbook male. SHE should have been more responsible - SHE the 16 year old should have been more responsible than HIM the 30 year old. It's all about what SHE did wrong, with no real aspersion for the man.

SHE got drunk and SHE didn't run away, so it's HER fault SHE got raped by a 30 year old and got HERSELF pregnant.

The public was infuriated after a judge made a woman pay child support to her alleged rapist. Now the judge has reversed his decision according to the latest update in the case reported by WBRZ.

The judge dealing with a paternity and custody case involving the child of Crysta Abelseth and John Barnes reversed his earlier decision to give Barnes temporary custody of the child and make Abelseth pay child support payments.
Another trial date to establish custody is slated to happen on Wednesday, July 15.
(y) Would be nice if it worked both ways, though.

When Male Rape Victims Are Accountable for Child Support
Always important to have someone come in with the '...but whaddabut the men?'

Also, it "currently" didn't work this way for the woman. She has been sharing custody with her rapist for over a decade now.
Yeah, you're right. Nevermind about the men.
I must have missed something - can you point to anyone saying it shouldn't work both ways?

No, I know the difference between a 16 year old girl and a full grown woman.
Which go to bars, drink, and leave with dudes?
Tom
She totally should have known better than to wear that skimpy dress. Seriously, a guy can't be expected to control himself when she's obviously asking for it, amirite? Little slut ought to have better judgement. :rolleyes:

The documents were unsealed in Tangipahoa Parish Wednesday evening and detail a years-long custody process beginning in 2011 when John Barnes found out he had a daughter with Crysta Abelseth.

In April 2013, Barnes began paying Abelseth $428 in child support for the daughter he fathered after a night of drinking. In July 2015, Crysta filed a police report for the 2005 rape that led to her daughter’s birth with the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriffs Office. That report sat on their shelf and was not assigned to a detective for seven years.

In August 2015, Judge Jeffrey Cashe was assigned the case.

Six months after Cashe took over the case, a split-custody agreement was reached, and he ordered Abelseth to pay $78.41 to Barnes increasing to $117.72 per month the following year.

Four years went by and nothing happened in the court record. Then, in December 2020, Barnes filed a motion to modify custody alleging his daughter is allowed to be unsupervised with her boyfriend in Abelseth’s home.

In January 2021, the child’s school counselor notified DCFS as a mandatory reporter that the child alleged Barnes physically and mentally abused her. Abelseth requested that Barnes custody be limited. Judge Cashe denied that motion.

By November, Barnes filed motions to have Abelseth held in contempt over a cell phone.

On Feb. 2, 2022, Cashe found Abelseth in contempt over the phone and ordered her to pay $500. Abelseth was instructed not to provide her daughter with a cell phone.

That same month— court records note for the first time that the child was conceived from a rape. It’s also alleged that Barnes drugged and sexually assaulted his daughter on Feb. 21, 2022 and Feb. 22, 2022.

“She was transported to New Orleans where she was evaluated and the doctor confirmed that there was evidence of forced entry congruent with sexual assault,” the document reads.

On March 18, 2022, Judge Cashe dismisses all of Abelseth’s claims saying all criminal charges have not been accepted and the evidence does not support the allegations made by the daughter.

Court records were not clear on what evidence led the judge to make his decision. An abuse advocate for Abelseth tells WBRZ the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office has not cooperated with the family over the location of the daughter's rape kit. The sheriff's office, once again, did not respond to requests for comment Thursday.
Well, the dad sounds like a real piece of work. Anyone else ready to defend him?

Well.. that's even worse than I had originally envisioned.

Rape victims should never be required to pay child support to their rapists. The sex of the victim should be irrelevant.

ETA: I get tired of men tossing out instances of underage boys being statutorily raped by adult women as if women think that's okay. We don't. Almost universally, women think that still counts as rape, and is just as unacceptable as an adult man statutorily raping an underage girl. The people who seem to think it's okay are almost without exception men. Not all men, but men nonetheless. Every single woman I have ever talked to is just as revolted and angered by a 13 year old boy being taken advantage of by a 30 year old women as the other way around.

since the child actually wants to live with him?
People keep making this claim, and I have seen no evidence of this. What I have seen are allegations from a school counselor that the daughter claimed her father had physically and mentally abused her, allegations that the daughter claimed her father had raped her - with the medical examiner confirming that she had injuries consistent with being raped.

I find it highly unlikely that the 16 year old daughter who is alleging such abuse from her father actually wants to go live with him.

Tom
She totally should have known better than to wear that skimpy dress. Seriously, a guy can't be expected to control himself when she's obviously asking for it, amirite? Little slut ought to have better judgement. :rolleyes:
Exactly where did I say anything like this?

I'm sure I didn't.

It's hard to carry on a conversation when most of the responses are misrepresentation or strawmanning.
Tom

Tom
Exactly where did I say anything like this?
You said worse by calling her a scumbag.
It's hard to carry on a conversation when most of the responses are misrepresentation or strawmanning.
Or when you don't even recognize stuff you have said.

I believe I was referring to both of them.
It's been awhile and I don't really care much anymore.

But the fact remains, @Emily Lake was misrepresenting me and my opinions. That was my point.

It's hard to carry on a conversation when people like you and "her" misrepresent what I post.
Tom

You did. And quite baselessly so.
Sorry.
In my opinion two people who get drunk together in a bar and then go have irresponsible sex are pretty scummy.

Barnes shouldn't have done what he did. Neither should Abelseth have done what she did. They're both apparently scumbags, or at least were many years ago.
Tom

I didn't refer to the mother in particular as a scumbag.

I pointed out the scumbag behavior of the parents, she's just one of them. Both got drunk in a bar and had irresponsible sex that led to a kid growing up with them as parents.
Poor thing.
Tom
How does getting drunk and having sex make someone a scumbag?
Does a 16 year old have the emotional maturity to always make the right decisions? Does a 16 year old having sex with an adult automatically make her a scumbag, or are there additional criteria?
What the fuck is "irresponsible sex"? She was under the age of legal consent and she was raped.

So much judgement and contempt in your posts. I'm glad that you are apparently able to live a life of perfectly chaste purity where you never make mistakes, but you forget that making mistakes is part of being human. Even Biblegod fucks up once in a while, commits planetary genocide, and then repents while basking in the aroma of burnt animal offerings. But not you, you are fucking perfect.

You did. And quite baselessly so.
Sorry.
In my opinion two people who get drunk together in a bar and then go have irresponsible sex are pretty scummy.
So you are back to caring about being baselessly judgmental.
Barnes shouldn't have done what he did. Neither should Abelseth have done what she did.
Well yeah, but just to be clear, he committed an act of rape where as she was drinking illegally.
They're both apparently scumbags, or at least were many years ago.
Underage drinking = scumbag
Rapist = scumbag

People equating underaged drinking with rape = ... ?

I think asshat would have been a better word TomC. You can claim you mean stupid to the board and keep what you actually mean to yourself. :ROFLMAO:

So much judgement and contempt in your posts. I'm glad that you are apparently able to live a life of perfectly chaste purity where you never make mistakes, but you forget that making mistakes is part of being human.

What makes you think I've lived a life of perfectly chaste purity? Or think I have?

Trust me.
No.
Quite the opposite.

I was quite the slut, back in the day. Oh my...

Now I'm in my 60s. Not that interested in sex really. Perhaps I wore it out in my 20-60 y/o period. But my opinions aren't based on my purity. They're based on long experience and seeing how different attitudes and lifestyles turn out, usually, over time.
Tom

So much judgement and contempt in your posts. I'm glad that you are apparently able to live a life of perfectly chaste purity where you never make mistakes, but you forget that making mistakes is part of being human.

What makes you think I've lived a life of perfectly chaste purity? Or think I have?

Trust me.
No.
Quite the opposite.

I was quite the slut, back in the day. Oh my...

Now I'm in my 60s. Not that interested in sex really. Perhaps I wore it out in my 20-60 y/o period. But my opinions aren't based on my purity. They're based on long experience and seeing how different attitudes and lifestyles turn out, usually, over time.
Tom
That is a lot of words to just say "hypocrite".

It's been awhile and I don't really care much anymore.

But the fact remains, @Emily Lake was misrepresenting me and my opinions. That was my point.

It's hard to carry on a conversation when people like you and "her" misrepresent what I post.
Tom
Have you ever entertained the possibility for even a second that the reason so many people "misrepresent" your posts is because your posts do not represent your alleged views to any disinterested reader?

Here is a perfect example.
That means you called her a "scumbag". People accurately responded to your words and yet you complain they misrepresent your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom