• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Re: Kim Potter - What happens when good people no longer go into law enforcement?

Well, where I live 2, nearby Jr. High school boys were kidnapped, raped, and one killed before the perp was caught. And the gang/drug violence is rampant; and woman look under their cars to look for bad guys and rapists....Oh wait, that was soooooo 1970's when I was a kid myself (with per capita murder rates far far higher than today)...never mind.
I was on a local FB group and people were complaining about rampant crime. I found an article from the local paper that showed crime being down 85% since the seventies.
Is this personal experience, or is it just some more bullshit? Second hand hearsay, or can you deliver evidence from a source accepted by me?
Tom
I found the article I mentioned. My apologies, I got almost all the details wrong in my description. My memory thinker thingy isn't as good as it used to be in my younger years, and it wasn't very good then.

Neat. There's the effect of the liberal soft-on-crime era of the 60's and 70's. Which led to the tough-on-crime period of the early 90's. (See Joe Biden) After 2010 there's the Ferguson bump followed by the Floyd surge post May 2020.
Some sober observers attribute the 1990's decline in crime to Roe v Wade (in 1973) and wide availability of contraceptives from about that same date. Unwanted boys often grow up to become criminals.

What's causing the recent uptick, if that's what it is? The rise of Stupidism as America's dominant political ideology?

Neat. There's the effect of the liberal soft-on-crime era of the 60's and 70's. Which led to the tough-on-crime period of the early 90's. (See Joe Biden) After 2010 there's the Ferguson bump followed by the Floyd surge post May 2020.
Some sober observers attribute the 1990's decline in crime to Roe v Wade (in 1973) and wide availability of contraceptives from about that same date. Unwanted boys often grow up to become criminals.

What's causing the recent uptick, if that's what it is? The rise of Stupidism as America's dominant political ideology?
Let's track it back another 16-17 years. What happened 16-17 years ago?

Let's track it back another 16-17 years. What happened 16-17 years ago?

The elimination of leaded gasoline was a big contributor to the downward swing starting i the early 80s.

The elimination of leaded gasoline was a big contributor to the downward swing starting i the early 80s.

I started to bring this up.
There are so many variables involved. Reducing lead in urban environments was predicted to reduce violent crime, because of the damage it does to developing brains. It makes people stupider and more violence prone. The gubbamint cracked down on our freedoms to freely disperse lead, like in paint and gas additives.

Good thing the gubbamint took away that freedom, IMHO.
Tom

There’s debate on the Freakonomics hypothesis that abortion reduced crime rates. Seems plausible but the peak for juvenile homicide was 1993, which is a cohort born after Roe. Our current homicide explosion is simply a revisitation of the Ferguson effect. Covid articles before the death of Floyd reported on the crime drop in the pandemic. Then we got Black Lives Murdered.

There are so many variables involved. Reducing lead in urban environments was predicted to reduce violent crime, because of the damage it does to developing brains. It makes people stupider and more violence prone. The gubbamint cracked down on our freedoms to freely disperse lead, like in paint and gas additives.

Tom
Still, we have an uptick now. Assuming it is not adjacent to an immediate, sudden change in conditions that have just made more people decide to get stabbed with it, something changed to make more people grow up awful, and get access just now.

Tom
Still, we have an uptick now. Assuming it is not adjacent to an immediate, sudden change in conditions that have just made more people decide to get stabbed with it, something changed to make more people grow up awful, and get access just now.

I think it's the current culture of victimhood and entitlement. BLM is a huge contributor to that.

Not the only one, by any stretch, lots
of people think that they're victims of libertards and immigrants. Trump is also a huge contributor to the culture of victimhood and entitlement.

Then there's the mainstream media like bloggers and Facebook.

The list of contributors to the culture of victimhood and entitlement is nearly endless.
Tom

It's hard to sort out the effects of Roe v Wade and getting rid of lead paint. It's pretty clear that some combination of these adds up to halving the crime rate.

Kim Potter doesn't belong in law enforcement, at least when carrying a gun and a taser.

It's not always the case but sometimes even a homeless person with no training can do good police work. I'm certain there will be no shortage of good people taking up the job if a homeless man with no training and not getting paid for it doesn't mind.

It's hard to sort out the effects of Roe v Wade and getting rid of lead paint. It's pretty clear that some combination of these adds up to halving the crime rate.
But what accounts for a massive and seemingly sudden increase?
Like how victimized and entitled many right-wingers feel?

You think the high excess homicide rate is due to right-wingers? The ones in Chicago who put a noose on Smolett’s neck?

The high homicide rate is due to drug prohibition, coupled with the easy availability of firearms due to right wing misinterpretation of the Second Amendment. Why do you think that's left wing?
FTFY
But that's been an issue for forever. Something changed: either a bunch of people for some reason decided to stop not murdering people, a loss of fear (as if that really meant anything to murderers), or a new generation of psychopathic children growing up and gaining access to the means to murder.

The same people who say the change in laws account for the increase are the same people who scream from mountaintops that criminals don't care about the law.

The same people who say the change in laws account for the increase are the same people who scream from mountaintops that criminals don't care about the law.
Yeah, like... If trends carry, it indicates something massive happened, either tantamount to water poisoning or abortion bans.

Back
Top Bottom