• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Red and dead

What's the p-value? Also, correlation does not prove causation. These may exist confounding variables.

What's the p-value? Also, correlation does not prove causation. These may exist confounding variables.

Unfortunately, the article doesn't link the study. And your first sentence is a bit off: For most reporters it would be "what is a p-value?"

You mean, like, "more poverty, weak union protection, an abundance of people who lack health insurance and a strong opposition to the Affordable Care Act"? Yeah, that's confounding as hell.

Cancer mortality by state is a "who's who" of republican strongholds:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/cancer_mortality/cancer.htm

Obesity, even at the county level, is more of the same:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4692249/

"After controlling for poverty rate, percent African American and Latino populations, educational attainment, and spatial autocorrelation in the error term, we found that higher county-level obesity prevalence rates were associated with higher levels of support for the 2012 Republican Party presidential candidate."

"After controlling for poverty rate, percent African American and Latino populations, educational attainment, and spatial autocorrelation in the error term, we found that higher county-level obesity prevalence rates were associated with higher levels of support for the 2012 Republican Party presidential candidate."

Fatties for Trump!

Of course they're not going to like Biden, he's not fat.

Fatties for Trump!

You mean Romney?

Fatties for Trump!

Murders for Clinton!

CWDAW2J.jpg

Fatties for Trump!

116289964_3374357345936493_7185327092914490067_o.jpg

The master race.

Fatties for Trump!

Murders for Clinton!

CWDAW2J.jpg

Did you really jus post a map of a population-related issue and then marvel that it is concentrated by cities?

Try the same trick with a “per capita murders” map.

4BEA15DB-C4EF-400E-A223-643A4B69E4E5.jpeg

Murders for Clinton!

CWDAW2J.jpg

Did you really jus post a map of a population-related issue and then marvel that it is concentrated by cities?

View attachment 28857

Well, do you really expect someone who posts more spin than exists in the gyroscopic ring of the ISS to make posts with valid data?

Murders for Clinton!

CWDAW2J.jpg

View attachment 28857

Well, to be fair, your map is "gun related homicides". It doesn't include all of the blue area murders by knife, lead pipe, monkey wrench, candlestick in the library, grenade in a locked closet, etc.

The Mississippi Valley is "Heart Attack Alley" to cardiologists. It correlates with the high cholestrol, deep-fried diet. And isn't Houston the city with the most obese Americans, per capita? I think TX has a couple of the most obese cities. Just drive through the state for those billboards telling you that if you can finish off some restaurant's giant slab of cow, it's comped. I forget how many ounces -- is it 48? 72? 1000??

Actually, Memphis, Tn. supposedly has the highest rate of obesity. What people don't understand is that obesity is a complicated disease that includes many factors and it's not always easy for obese people to change their eating habits. I worked with some very obese young women and when they would ask me how they could lose weight, the first question I asked them is how many soft drinks they drank a day. Some admitted that they drank well over 2 liters of coke or whatever their favorite drink was. When I told them to start by eliminating the soft drinks, they would look at me as if I had lost my mind. They were so addicted to those drinks that they didn't even want to consider trying to stop drinking them. Sure, there are other foods that are high in calories that too many Americans eat these days, including a tendency to eat in restaurants far more than we did when I was a child. It's complicated and while government might be able to do more, I don't think that will be as helpful as some think. Americans have changed how they eat over the last several decades. We have way too much food available and most people have no idea what a normal portion size is anymore. I have sympathy for the obese, and it is much worse in the south than it is in the northeast. We can't blame governmental policies for all of that. If we could find a solution to the obesity crisis, it would save huge amounts of health care resources and help lower the cost of. health care over all.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/fattest-cities-in-america.html

This is the list of the most obese cities

1 Memphis, TN-MS-AR 76.97
2 Shreveport-Bossier City, LA 75.24
3 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN 73.88
4 Jackson, MS 73.75
5 New Orleans-Metairie, LA 72.94
6 Chattanooga, TN-GA 72.31
7 Mobile, AL 72.26
8 San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 71.26
9 Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin, SC 71.24
10 Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR 70.89
11 Columbia, SC 70.49
12 Knoxville, TN 70.47
13 Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA 70.05
14 Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN 70.01
15 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 69.38
16 Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach, SC-NC 69.33
17 Lafayette, LA 69.33
18 Greensboro-High Point, NC 69.02
19 Oklahoma City, OK 68.99
20 Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA 68.72

Most are southern cities and imo, Indy is very similar culturally to many southern cities. My son lives there. The only difference between it and the south are the accents and the cold winters.

Murders for Clinton!

CWDAW2J.jpg

View attachment 28857

I am pointing out the rather lazy reasoning of the OP. If the OP (the article) was honest, it’d indicate that Asian-Americans live the longest. The larger the Asian-American percentage in a state (Hawaii, California), the more life expectancy will be skewed upward. Conversely, the larger the black and Native-American percentage (Mississippi, Oklahoma), the more life expectancy will be skewed downward. Nothing to do with liberal vs. conservative policies.

If you’re gonna compare red vs. blue states on life expectancy, you’ll need to explain why black males in red North Dakota average to age 90 while black males in blue California croak at 68.

Also hispanics, male and female, have a higher life expectancy than whites. And black females outlive white males. This easily accessible and obviously relevant information was somehow missed by the article in the OP. Somehow.

Back
Top Bottom