• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Red and dead

Actually, Memphis, Tn. supposedly has the highest rate of obesity. What people don't understand is that obesity is a complicated disease that includes many factors and it's not always easy for obese people to change their eating habits. I worked with some very obese young women and when they would ask me how they could lose weight, the first question I asked them is how many soft drinks they drank a day. Some admitted that they drank well over 2 liters of coke or whatever their favorite drink was. When I told them to start by eliminating the soft drinks, they would look at me as if I had lost my mind. They were so addicted to those drinks that they didn't even want to consider trying to stop drinking them. Sure, there are other foods that are high in calories that too many Americans eat these days, including a tendency to eat in restaurants far more than we did when I was a child. It's complicated and while government might be able to do more, I don't think that will be as helpful as some think. Americans have changed how they eat over the last several decades. We have way too much food available and most people have no idea what a normal portion size is anymore. I have sympathy for the obese, and it is much worse in the south than it is in the northeast. We can't blame governmental policies for all of that. If we could find a solution to the obesity crisis, it would save huge amounts of health care resources and help lower the cost of. health care over all.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/fattest-cities-in-america.html

This is the list of the most obese cities

1 Memphis, TN-MS-AR 76.97
2 Shreveport-Bossier City, LA 75.24
3 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN 73.88
4 Jackson, MS 73.75
5 New Orleans-Metairie, LA 72.94
6 Chattanooga, TN-GA 72.31
7 Mobile, AL 72.26
8 San Antonio-New Braunfels, TX 71.26
9 Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin, SC 71.24
10 Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR 70.89
11 Columbia, SC 70.49
12 Knoxville, TN 70.47
13 Youngstown-Warren-Boardman, OH-PA 70.05
14 Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro--Franklin, TN 70.01
15 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX 69.38
16 Myrtle Beach-Conway-North Myrtle Beach, SC-NC 69.33
17 Lafayette, LA 69.33
18 Greensboro-High Point, NC 69.02
19 Oklahoma City, OK 68.99
20 Scranton--Wilkes-Barre--Hazleton, PA 68.72

Most are southern cities and imo, Indy is very similar culturally to many southern cities. My son lives there. The only difference between it and the south are the accents and the cold winters.

It’s all the damn Kentuckians migrating north for a better life.

I am at least somewhat serious. Being extremely familiar with the Indianapolis area all the way to abouttwo counties south of Marion Co, it’s quite different from the south, actually. Northern Indiana is different than southern Indiana and both are different from central Indiana. I am familiar with the area where your son lives. It’s not much like Indianapolis, for all of being relatively close. Southern Illinois is more like KY and parts of S, Indiana are as well. But in general, Indiana is a very typical midwestern state, very similar to its neighbors to the east and west.

"After controlling for poverty rate, percent African American and Latino populations, educational attainment, and spatial autocorrelation in the error term, we found that higher county-level obesity prevalence rates were associated with higher levels of support for the 2012 Republican Party presidential candidate."

Fatties for Trump!

Of course they're not going to like Biden, he's not fat.

Murders for Clinton!

CWDAW2J.jpg

That's John Lott's work--treat with considerable skepticism. I haven't seen him lying about things, but irrelevant facts like this are common.

In this case, the important missing factor is population. It's not murders per county, it's murders per 100k people. And even then you have the problem that the murder rate goes up with the population density.

As someone who is old enough to remember "Better Dead Than Red," I'm still trying to pinpoint the moment when it became a point of pride for right wingers to be considered "red."

(This might be meterwalled.)
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-08-03/longer-life-expectancy-blue-states-than-red-ones

People live longer in blue states--pretty much the ultimate measure of who is doing it better.

Not surprising but having little to do with politics. People earn more in cities due to economics of scale and richer people do generally live longer for obvious reasons. The people in cities are skewed more democratic mostly because the democrats used to be the party of unions. As they have now abandoned the labor vote, I would expect cities to turn more red in the future.

But for the time being, living longer has not so much to do with political governance as with other factors.

Murders for Clinton!

CWDAW2J.jpg

That's John Lott's work--treat with considerable skepticism. I haven't seen him lying about things, but irrelevant facts like this are common.

In this case, the important missing factor is population. It's not murders per county, it's murders per 100k people. And even then you have the problem that the murder rate goes up with the population density.

Another depiction of violence in the U.S. which lists its sources more clearly, though it only covers firearms deaths:

all-race-age-adjusted-firearm-homicides-rates-county-2004-2010-c.png

I am at least somewhat serious. Being extremely familiar with the Indianapolis area all the way to abouttwo counties south of Marion Co, it’s quite different from the south, actually. Northern Indiana is different than southern Indiana and both are different from central Indiana. I am familiar with the area where your son lives. It’s not much like Indianapolis, for all of being relatively close. Southern Illinois is more like KY and parts of S, Indiana are as well. But in general, Indiana is a very typical midwestern state, very similar to its neighbors to the east and west.

My daughter in law is a native on Indiana and she is the one that claims it's a lot like the south. I think there is a lot of truth to that. There are a lot of religious fanatics in Indiana, ( Governor Pence ) and there is a lot of obesity, poverty and poor eating habits too. Just like most southern states, Indiana has a few large urban areas surrounded by exurban or rural areas. That's what I mean when I say the two are similar. Of course, various parts of town hold different political beliefs. The same could be said about Atlanta metro, Raleigh or Greenville, SC. three southern cities where I have lived.

In some ways, the south is not as bad as Indiana. Have you seen the condition of the roads in Indy lately? OMG! I've never seen such poorly maintained roads, but that's way off of the topic of this thread.

When I'm in Indy, I feel very much like I'm in the south when it comes to the culture. Of course, the south is very culturally diverse, so I'm not trying to say that everyone in the south in the same, anymore than that everyone in Indiana is the same. It's just that both areas of the country share many of the same problems.

But, I was mainly thinking of the high rates of obesity ad how they impact life expectancy and health care.

If you’re gonna compare red vs. blue states on life expectancy, you’ll need to explain why black males in red North Dakota average to age 90 while black males in blue California croak at 68.

Small number statistics? How many black people live in North Dakota?

Are you including infant mortality in life expectancy? That can bring down the average in areas where there may be infant deaths, but have no bearing on how long adults live.

If you’re gonna compare red vs. blue states on life expectancy, you’ll need to explain why black males in red North Dakota average to age 90 while black males in blue California croak at 68.

Small number statistics? How many black people live in North Dakota?

Are you including infant mortality in life expectancy? That can bring down the average in areas where there may be infant deaths, but have no bearing on how long adults live.

Your first mistake is believing anything that Trausti says, especially when stated without a source or without checking their sources.

I have yet to see Trausti actually offer a valid source that actually supports any claim they have ever made.

Murders for Clinton!

CWDAW2J.jpg

Another depiction of violence in the U.S. which lists its sources more clearly, though it only covers firearms deaths:

View attachment 28871

Aha! The problem is heat! :)

View attachment 28871

Aha! The problem is heat! :)

Hence the common phrase "packing heat".

People in the north have a lot of guns, but there's no need to use them to kill people, all one need to is shove someone out of the car at the nearest convenient tundra and let Nature take care of the details.

"After controlling for poverty rate, percent African American and Latino populations, educational attainment, and spatial autocorrelation in the error term, we found that higher county-level obesity prevalence rates were associated with higher levels of support for the 2012 Republican Party presidential candidate."

Fatties for Trump!

Of course they're not going to like Biden, he's not fat.

View attachment 28855

The master race.

Master race ... as in "the guy who just lost the..."

:cool:

Master race ... as in "the guy who just lost the..."

:cool:

Like, it's almost comical how his fat titties captured his shirt and exposed his gut roll. He's like an inverse advertisement.

I get obesity has become relevant to the conversation, but it strikes me as kinda shitty to be mocking people over weight. He's holding a testament to his delusional attachment to some Nazi fantasy in his hands. I feel like that's enough fodder on it's own. Yeah, maybe he wouldn't have qualified for the SS, but of all the fucked up things about flashing that flag, that just doesn't rank.

For the record, don't give a shit about protecting that asshole's feelings. Just, why go for the fat joke, yeah?

Like, it's almost comical how his fat titties captured his shirt and exposed his gut roll. He's like an inverse advertisement.

I get obesity has become relevant to the conversation, but it strikes me as kinda shitty to be mocking people over weight. He's holding a testament to his delusional attachment to some Nazi fantasy in his hands. I feel like that's enough fodder on it's own. Yeah, maybe he wouldn't have qualified for the SS, but of all the fucked up things about flashing that flag, that just doesn't rank.

For the record, don't give a shit about protecting that asshole's feelings. Just, why go for the fat joke, yeah?

It's not about the fat so much as that he's standing there looking like a slob in addition to an idiot. Like he's clearly watching the guy with the camera, how does he not feel his shirt wedged up in there like a bizarre titty wedgie.

Not that I'm in a position to ever get that large but I would at least either tuck my shirt or at least fix it as soon as it got caught.

Not to mention the grease stains on his shirt.

It's not about the fat so much as that he's standing there looking like a slob in addition to an idiot. Like he's clearly watching the guy with the camera, how does he not feel his shirt wedged up in there like a bizarre titty wedgie.

Not that I'm in a position to ever get that large but I would at least either tuck my shirt or at least fix it as soon as it got caught.

Self awareness is not a strong trait of right wing authoritarian followers.

Which I guess is the entirety of my point. He's really doing a bang-up job representing the very best Nazis have to offer.

Which I guess is the entirety of my point. He's really doing a bang-up job representing the very best Nazis have to offer.

Exactly. That said, though, I am sitting here with my stained t-shirt stuck up under one boob as we speak. But I don't go out in public like this, much less pose for a photo waving an "I'm a depraved dipshit" flag.

Exactly. That said, though, I am sitting here with my stained t-shirt stuck up under one boob as we speak. But I don't go out in public like this, much less pose for a photo waving an "I'm a depraved dipshit" flag.

The Flag of the Loser is the main tell. The slovenly appearance is just a reinforcing consistency.

As someone who is old enough to remember "Better Dead Than Red," I'm still trying to pinpoint the moment when it became a point of pride for right wingers to be considered "red."

IIRC the colors go kind of fixed somewhere between Bill Clinton and W. Bush. Prior to that, which party used more red or more blue was pretty random, and the colors used on charts tended to mirror the predominant color used in advertising for election. I'm not exactly sure when it happened, but it's been in my adult lifetime.

ETA: It got "fixed" in 2000.

Back
Top Bottom