• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Religious arguments and analogies that really bother you

Well, a big thanks to your God from all the child rape victims who are happy to know that it will all work out in the end and everything was worth it. His patience and lack of desire to intervene in order to spare himself from learning spoilers is inspiring to them.

I wonder why it is that humans expect God to step in and protect defenceless children from rape but turn a blind eye to the millions of babies being killed by the abortion industry.

There will be much gnashing of teeth and wailing when God 'does something about' the sins committed by humans on defenceless children. They will run from God's judgement and seek out a large millstone.

Well, a big thanks to your God from all the child rape victims who are happy to know that it will all work out in the end and everything was worth it. His patience and lack of desire to intervene in order to spare himself from learning spoilers is inspiring to them.

I wonder why it is that humans expect God to step in and protect defenceless children from rape but turn a blind eye to the millions of babies being killed by the abortion industry.

There will be much gnashing of teeth and wailing when God 'does something about' the sins committed by humans on defenceless children. They will run from God's judgement and seek out a large millstone.

Doesn't at all change the question, if anything it just makes god's indifference to human suffering all the more egregious. So why doesn't god intervene? Why should those who lived in the ancient world be given the gift of miracles and yet naught but negligence and indifference is shown to his faithful today? Why do you make excuses for a father who neglects his children? Who lets them starve, who lets them go untreated with malady? Who lets them walk barefooted and head bowed without clothing or homes? Why does father let those without power, those without strength and who cannot protect themselves or provide for themselves suffer and die without succor? Is the onus not on the father to care for his children just as your father cared for you?

The bible describes the cardinal sin of Acedia as the unwillingness of good men to act in the face of evil. Is god not a sinner then? Is our father not perfect then?

"the abortion industry."

As if anyone makes money off of it. Tell me, where can I buy stock in 'the Abortion Industry?" Which companies are the industry leaders? What are their NASDAQ and NSE abbreviations?

I don't think the Democratic or Republican party are visibly traded on either of those exchanges.

So if this is such a big deal, why the fuck hasn't god even made a start on doing something about it? His response to date is indistinguishable from doing absolutely nothing - What make you so sure that he cares at all? There's no evidence that he gives a shit - his response is no different from that of Superman and Batman. It's almost as if fictional characters don't actually intervene in the real world.

I think you will find that nobody here expects god to act. But we do wonder why you too don't expect god to act. It's almost as if you realize at a fundamental level that his intervention is simply not going to happen.

I wonder why it is that humans expect God to step in and protect defenceless children from rape but turn a blind eye to the millions of babies being killed by the abortion industry. .
False dichotomy. It's part and parcel.

If there's an abortion industry, it's obvious it can only exist because the loving and omnipotent god people keep telling us about does fuck all to save the preborn... Just like he/she/it does fuck all for starving kids, raped kids, trafficked kids, kids whose parents ask them to pose with the grizzly bear, kids whose parents OD, etc. etc.

All things possible, including the ability to limit itself without being limited by itself.
Thats an idea, but couldn't really say as a mere mortal.

Your hypothetical God sounds a lot like the one that gives signs to the homeless guy who lives under the bridge near the megachurch. It sends him signs in the patterns of bird flights, and the shape of the wet spot under a drip from a crack in the bridge. I forget exactly what he told me about the all powerful God that can make anything possible, but it was something about sapphires, birthstones, planetary alignments, and birds being his dead grandparents.

I hope your friends situation works out although not too keen on this type of belief.

It's amazing what Jesus can do!
You beat me to it.
:)

9 million kids under 5 years of age die every year because of disease, accident, malnutrition and brutality. The magic spaceman even kills them himself in the bible, and kids have been dying for millennia while the spaceman watches.

So what's the big deal with abortion?

1) This comment is just pure evil. You're squaring one bad thing (which isn't a bad thing) against another. As if all those raped children should feel better now because other children had it even worse, didn't even get born. This is pretty low.

Just to get this straight, you just argued for that it's right not to protect children from being raped because of something completely unrelated.

2) Because of people like you abortion doctors are heroes. I can't imagine the bullshit they have to put up with in the states.

USA has freedom of religion. Different religions or world views define life differently. All sides can make valid arguments. Why do you hate freedom?

9 million kids under 5 years of age die every year because of disease, accident, malnutrition and brutality. The magic spaceman even kills them himself in the bible, and kids have been dying for millennia while the spaceman watches.

9 million kids dying every year for millennia. If this is, according to you/atheists a world without God, then what does it make us as a species? We have our talents even though negatively inclusive of destruction , warring , killing and so on. What has man been doing for millenia to intervene , not forgetting halting the situations of young girls being in situations where abortions become the norm? It seems under our own steam it really is a world of "natural selection" .

From a Christian perspective ;Jesus was the "last straw" after the multitudes of broken covenants between man and Creator and from then on God stopped intervening directly apart from going through strong believers.(I wish I was myself tbh)

9 million kids dying every year for millennia. If this is, according to you/atheists a world without God, then what does it make us as a species? We have our talents even though negatively inclusive of destruction , warring , killing and so on. What has man been doing for millenia to intervene , not forgetting halting the situations of young girls being in situations where abortions become the norm? It seems under our own steam it really is a world of "natural selection" .

Human beings are neither omnipotent nor omniscient. Why would you make such an inane comparison between humans and all-powerful gods?

Human beings are neither omnipotent nor omniscient. Why would you make such an inane comparison between humans and all-powerful gods?
Comparisons as to who is seen as the evil and uncaring party from the atheistic suggestion or the theistic belief (Christian in this case).

Comparisons as to who is seen as the evil and uncaring party from the atheistic suggestion or the theistic belief (Christian in this case).

It's a stupid comparison because humans are not in a position to prevent all suffering whereas an omnipotent god would be.

It's a stupid comparison because humans are not in a position to prevent all suffering whereas an omnipotent god would be.

What great force is needed to be equal amongst others and loving your neihbour, mutual compassion to share? It is difficult isn't it, Im sure you agree?

What great force is needed to be equal amongst others and loving your neihbour, mutual compassion to share? It is difficult isn't it, Im sure you agree?
No matter how much I love my neighbor, I'm still not in possession of the power to prevent all suffering.
No matter how many hospital beds I visit, I'm not omnipotent, so I could not have kept everyone out of those beds in the first place.

so it's still a bad comparison.

From a Christian perspective ;Jesus was the "last straw" after the multitudes of broken covenants between man and Creator and from then on God stopped intervening directly apart from going through strong believers.(I wish I was myself tbh)

Any species main rival is always members of it's own species. They occupy the same niche. So all the killing and destruction makes perfect sense. What is harder to explain is all the peaceful co-existence. Yes, humanity has plenty of that. How about giving us a little credit for that?

If this is the best an omnipotent ruler can do, he's not a very good ruler. But for a bunch of naked apes trying to scrape by, I'm very impressed.

No matter how much I love my neighbor, I'm still not in possession of the power to prevent all suffering.
No matter how many hospital beds I visit, I'm not omnipotent, so I could not have kept everyone out of those beds in the first place.

so it's still a bad comparison.

I did say it would be difficult as there has to be 'more' than just you with this loving ethic taking on all suffering.

Back
Top Bottom