• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Remember When ...?

Remember when your mom bought socks at the start of the school year?
If she'd bought seven identical pairs, then you could draw any two out of the drawer and you'd have a pair.

She twelve individual pair...and bitched if you paired a sock with 1-inch green bands with a sock that had 3/4-inch green bands because that WAS WRONG.

Page 591. We HAD the space communicator.

It sucked.

Someone had to be the base station at NASA (in the kitchen) so only one kid could be the explorer out in the spaceship (cherry tree) or collecting Space samples (firewood pile). And if there were ion storms (dishwasher, blender, if Dad set a fire in the toaster....again), all comms were lost and the astronaut was assumed to be dead.

Oh! Remember when you used to read your sister's eulogy over the radio, ignoring her cries of 'i'm still alive!' until she came back inside to yell at you?

Remember when there was some special treat about where you got to sit in the car, like the front seat, or the 'clear back' in the station wagon, and you had to trade off at every stop, so you made the tactical maneuver to let your sister sit in the front seat for the five minute drive to the post office, so your turn would be the 2 hour drive to Boise?

Remember when there was some special treat about where you got to sit in the car, like the front seat, or the 'clear back' in the station wagon, and you had to trade off at every stop, so you made the tactical maneuver to let your sister sit in the front seat for the five minute drive to the post office, so your turn would be the 2 hour drive to Boise?

So true!

Remember when your parents kicked you out of the house and locked the doors screaming, "I don't want to see your faces for two hours!" and you huddled at the back porch in your home-knit cotton mittens that were frozen solid while your bread-bag covered sock feet in your uninsulated red rubber boots tried to stomp for warmth?

Is that the famous Sears catalog issue where a guy was modeling boxer shorts and his manhood had made its way outside the shorts? I remember that as quite the scandal back in the day.

The men's underwear ads back in those days were pretty hilarious. Three smiling guys standing together in their tighty whities with big smiles on the faces, arms in weird poses like they're in the middle of some weird dance or activity. Where did they take these pictures, a gay bathhouse?

Back in the pre-internet days the ladies underwear ads in the catalog was some pretty hot stuff for adolescent boys. Now...not so much.

Remember when your parents kicked you out of the house and locked the doors screaming, "I don't want to see your faces for two hours!" and you huddled at the back porch in your home-knit cotton mittens that were frozen solid while your bread-bag covered sock feet in your uninsulated red rubber boots tried to stomp for warmth?
You had bread bags...? Lucky sods...

Remember when, decades before the internet, your parents knew the intimate details of life in foreign lands?
"There are kids in Addis Ababa who would love to have Turkey Tetrazzini for dinner."
"There are kids in the coal mines of Argentina who'd kill for a shower at bedtime."
"Don't whine about taking a trash bag out. There are kids in Siberia who drag trash sleighs over the tundra for five miles..."
"Children in China are starving."
"Where?" You ask scornfully. But Daddy was prepared for the question.
"Beijing. The Kung Pow district. There's an orphanage at the corner of Main Street and Moon Shining On Still Water Boulevard."
"Wow, really?"

Remember when, decades before the internet, your parents knew the intimate details of life in foreign lands?
"There are kids in Addis Ababa who would love to have Turkey Tetrazzini for dinner."
"There are kids in the coal mines of Argentina who'd kill for a shower at bedtime."
"Don't whine about taking a trash bag out. There are kids in Siberia who drag trash sleighs over the tundra for five miles..."
"Beijing. The Kung Pow district. There's an orphanage at the corner of Main Street and Moon Shining On Still Water Boulevard."
"Wow, really?"

Can't believe you missed India. That was the go-to country for parents back in the day.

"Wow, really?"

OMG! I remember the starving children in China.

One night I wouldn't eat my peas, so my gramma started in on the starving children in China who would kill for my serving of a can of green Giant green peas.

"Well send then these peas, cuz I ain't eating 'em."

When I woke up ...

Remember when you were in a hot hay field and went to the spring for a cold drink of water with a metal ladle? If you suggested that people would one day pay $2 for a small bottle of water back then, your brothers would have hit you over the head and left you for dead....too stupid to live, best to kill him now..

Remember when you and your peers discussed what it was you'd paint on the water tower when it was 'your turn' as members of the senior class?

When it was 'hijinks' not 'vandalism?'

Remember being able to roam the streets in summer and only come home when you heard your mum yell for you? Or hear the jungle vine message of 'Gaynor, your mum is yelling for you..'

Remember when you used to swim down the local creek with no fear of any bugs, germs, fish, sharks etc?

Remember when you would walk your bike to the top of the steepest hill and take your feet off the pedals and roll down, while NOT wearing a helmet?

Remember when mom made you pluck chicken she decapitated because you crippled it after it attacked you when you were four. If not, whippersnapper.

example:

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HksE-7aYmIw[/YOUTUBE]

gmbteach I never wore a helmet and our kids never wore helmets. Our granddaughter wears a helmet at Reed.

Back
Top Bottom