• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Remember When ...?

Remember when if you swore on the playground, word made it to your house before you did...

Remember when Christmas store displays didn't go up until after Thanksgiving?

My kids will believe i'm older than the internet before they'll believe the Xmas marketing season was so short. Along with my fantasy tales of rooting around in the car seats to find enough coins to buy a couple of gallons of gas...

Remember when mom made you pluck chicken she decapitated because you crippled it after it attacked you when you were four. If not, whippersnapper.

gmbteach I never wore a helmet and our kids never wore helmets. Our granddaughter wears a helmet at Reed.

I didn't wear one either. The worst accident I ever had was when I was 4. Mum and Dad bought Mark ( the middle brother) and I scooters for Christmas. Boxing Day we got up bright and early and rode them in the street - as you do. I wasn't looking where I was going and got hit by a car. He was our neighbour from across the back. I woke up a day or so later in hospital asking mum to keep the baby quiet.

Remember when on Christmas Day the street would be filled with kids riding their new bikes, scooters etc?

I was reminded of this today when we saw some kids riding around on their obviously brand new bikes. :D

Remember when there was some special treat about where you got to sit in the car, like the front seat, or the 'clear back' in the station wagon, and you had to trade off at every stop, so you made the tactical maneuver to let your sister sit in the front seat for the five minute drive to the post office, so your turn would be the 2 hour drive to Boise?

So true!

Remember when your parents kicked you out of the house and locked the doors screaming, "I don't want to see your faces for two hours!" and you huddled at the back porch in your home-knit cotton mittens that were frozen solid while your bread-bag covered sock feet in your uninsulated red rubber boots tried to stomp for warmth?

No, i dont remember freezing except of my nose and cheeks even when temp went below -30 °C, except when i got snow inside my boots.

Remember when on Christmas Day the street would be filled with kids riding their new bikes, scooters etc?

I was reminded of this today when we saw some kids riding around on their obviously brand new bikes. :D

Eyup. Like it was yesterday. Sixty seven years ago today. I was seven. Mom had just run off with uncle WhatisName. Dad took us from Portland to Willow Creek Montana to live with his sister aunt Jean. Got up Christmas morning and found heaven on earth. But that's another story. There was this huge white bike, no brand, used, twenty eight inch tires, huge pedal sprocket, tiny wheel sprocket. The kind that powerful adults use to get around or cover long distances. Dad offered to balance me and keep me upright and off we went.

Could barely reach pedals, let along drive them to perigee. So I kinda just pushed hard when they were at apogee and waited for the pedal to come 'round.

Anyhoo.

Dad had promised to keep me from falling so off we went, him pushing and me kinda pedaling and cranking the handlebars ever so fiercely to keep me aimed straight ahead. Suddenly things were working, steering got easy, pedaling got easy. I began laughing with excitement. I shouted "this is fun dad" and looked around. There he was fifty yards back, grinning. Dad always had a great shit ass grin. My wife saw it when we went up to Kennewick with our first, Jon Scott.

So ....

I jerked the bars this way and that way but I couldn't regain balance so Ij umped off before the bike crashed into Willow Creek. Yeah the town is named after a ditch of spring water.

anyhoo.

Never had to have help again. Never lost a race with new neighbor kids after we moved each year 'til I put it away for another I paid for with my paper route money when I was 11. Yeah, I was growing up so I got a topo'theline Schwinn with fenders, chain guard, and a carry rack.

... backyard cricket involved everyone, from the grannies to the 2yos. You could play in the middle of the road, too, because Christmas rendered the place so deserted that you were more likely to be bitten by wombats than hit by cars.

Page 591. We HAD the space communicator.

It sucked.

Someone had to be the base station at NASA (in the kitchen) so only one kid could be the explorer out in the spaceship (cherry tree) or collecting Space samples (firewood pile). And if there were ion storms (dishwasher, blender, if Dad set a fire in the toaster....again), all comms were lost and the astronaut was assumed to be dead.

Oh! Remember when you used to read your sister's eulogy over the radio, ignoring her cries of 'i'm still alive!' until she came back inside to yell at you?

My grandma got me and my older brother a pair of 100 milliwatt walkie talkies out of the Sears Catalog circa 1972. I can't believe the "base station" only had a 50 milliwatt transmitter. What a rip.

I think we had more fun out of those walkie-talkies than any other christmas gift we ever had. We were CB when CB wasn't cool.

Page 591. We HAD the space communicator.

It sucked.

Someone had to be the base station at NASA (in the kitchen) so only one kid could be the explorer out in the spaceship (cherry tree) or collecting Space samples (firewood pile). And if there were ion storms (dishwasher, blender, if Dad set a fire in the toaster....again), all comms were lost and the astronaut was assumed to be dead.

Oh! Remember when you used to read your sister's eulogy over the radio, ignoring her cries of 'i'm still alive!' until she came back inside to yell at you?

My grandma got me and my older brother a pair of 100 milliwatt walkie talkies out of the Sears Catalog circa 1972. I can't believe the "base station" only had a 50 milliwatt transmitter. What a rip.

I think we had more fun out of those walkie-talkies than any other christmas gift we ever had. We were CB when CB wasn't cool.

Happy Holiday. CB's were way cool in '72 Atheos. Just because "Convoy" and "Breaker Breaker" weren't released until around '77 doesn't make the CB age then. But, hey. Its the Jesus-ah season. Just because we got our CB's in '71, used them on the road, and we were living in Tallahassee, doesn't need to wreck your really evocative memory.

First to say happy New Year?

I remember my best buddy and i figuring that if we swung 180 degrees out of phase, his being all the way forward would balance my being all the way back and the legs wouldn't come out of the ground. We got some wild swinging done that way, without apparent risk to the swing's integrity field.

Which leads me to: Remember when you used to try to jump out of the swing at the top of the arc?
During one of the max-goddamned-swinging sessions, Mark got the idea to leap out of the swing at the top of his arc forward. Which meant that the entire swing set was suddenly unbalanced and pulled straight goddamned back by my own weight...

Remember when your swingset did a backwards sommersault onto your head? I don't. But witnesses tell me it was just amazing....

Remember when you used to play Jarts and you'd blindly throw them over the roof of your house from the front to the back yard, and it missed your little sister's head by about 10"? Good times...good times...

Happy Holiday. CB's were way cool in '72 Atheos. Just because "Convoy" and "Breaker Breaker" weren't released until around '77 doesn't make the CB age then. But, hey. Its the Jesus-ah season. Just because we got our CB's in '71, used them on the road, and we were living in Tallahassee, doesn't need to wreck your really evocative memory.

First to say happy New Year?

I remember my brother's base station. It came with two walkies. My gramma lived by a busy highway with lots of trucks going by. We could talk to them for like 2 seconds as they zoomed by, but we thought it was the coolest thing.

12342510_919821758066636_2316888691473588309_n.jpg

Remember when your mom bought socks at the start of the school year?
If she'd bought seven identical pairs, then you could draw any two out of the drawer and you'd have a pair.

She twelve individual pair...and bitched if you paired a sock with 1-inch green bands with a sock that had 3/4-inch green bands because that WAS WRONG.

I still do it that way. What's the need of variety on something people rarely see anyway?

Remember when you had to wear your gym shorts to school under your pants? Remember the day you forgot?

Remember when you used to hide your winter boots (the one's with the buckles) in the neighbor's bushes so you could slide on the ice going to school? Remember the day walking home they were gone?

Remember when "That's it. I'm telling your father." meant something?

Remember when you used to play Jarts and you'd blindly throw them over the roof of your house from the front to the back yard, and it missed your little sister's head by about 10"? Good times...good times...

Yes! My brother and I used to play Jarts with one of us in the front yard and one in the back. Damn fun!

I remember being hooked on sci-fi "classics" like Battlestar Galactica & Buck Rogers, which really should have been called "Disco in Space 1&2".

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom