• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

“Revolution in Thought: A new look at determinism and free will"

Have we got to rumpy pumpy yet?
You’re of course free to introduce rumpy pumpy, or anything else from the book (corrupted text ) at any time. :)
Now you're playing dirty Pood. Is it because you have nothing else?
This shows how clueless you are. I have deliberately AVOIDED introducing all the ridiculous twaddle in the (corrupted) text in order to give you a FAIR SHOT at introducing posters here to your “two-sided equation (is there another kind?)” You have squandered that chance. Also “is it because you have nothing else?” is AD HOM and a violation of the rules here.
There is no twaddle in this book David. The people there turned it into lulz which can be done to anyone if that's the goal. Everything was taken out of context and used for laughter. If that's what you think, why did you invite me here? To prove he was wrong? You have proved no such thing. It is backfiring on you and that's why you're pissed.
OK, that’s enough. I already told you I was trying to help you present your main argument — not that I AGREE with it (I do not) — but I was trying to give you a fair chance with a new group, because I felt sorry for you. Also, you just committed yet another ad hom. Are you having trouble comprehending what a rule violation is?
I did not attack you. I asked you if that's why you are pissed. Look Pood, I cannot go from a free for all to a completely restricted forum that doesn't allow me to open my mouth. I did not insult anyone. I am not a mean-spirited person. But I will say that if people are in disagreement, there is something they don't understand just like a person who says that 1+1=11 doesn't understand. You've said such hurtful things in ff to keep the charade going, it's laughable that you are using a comment of mine that isn't even an insult, against me. If you consider that an AD HOM, and you want to use this ridiculous reason to get me banned, go for it.

An AD HOM is not (necessarily) an INSULT. You are tossing ad homs all over the place.
I know what an ad hom is. It's using a person's character as a reason to dismiss an argument. I will continue to say people don't agree because they don't understand. They can shut me up by banning me if they want. I'm not staying here much longer anyway.

I'm bending my own rules a bit here, but just to be clear—you’re not getting banned for anything you’ve said in this discussion. How do I know? I’m the Administrator. I really hope you stick around and avoid getting pulled into a debate about the forum's rules (which, ironically, is against the rules—glances at Pood). I’ve found your opinions to be thoughtfully expressed, and that’s exactly what this forum is for (clears throat—yes, even the contentious debates).

When I first joined this community years ago, I was shocked by how willing people were to challenge my beliefs down to the last detail. It was off-putting at first, but if you give this place time, you'll come to appreciate how much we all learn about ourselves and from one another.

Carry on.
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I’m so use to being a target (for whatever reason), your friendly comment feels like an aberration. 🫤

Some folks tend to get defensive of their faith. ;)

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted that. I was just thinking the more salacious parts of the Revolution in Thought™ would liven up this thread a bit. Freewill vs. determinism is such a boring conversation.

I agree, but the REALLY best parts, like JC (not to be confused with Jesus Christ) were left on the cutting-room floor by peacegirl. But we know who the True Steward of the Authentic Text is. :)
Jesus makes an appearance in the Authentic Text? I had no idea. I guess I'm a heathen in more ways than one.

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted that. I was just thinking the more salacious parts of the Revolution in Thought™ would liven up this thread a bit. Freewill vs. determinism is such a boring conversation.
To you it may be, because you don't understand why having no free will (which is a fact) is the foundation as to why we can change the trajectory our planet is on, with positive results. I think that's more important than you trying to make this another freethought forum.
It doesn't matter whether we agree with you about having no free will. You have not shown any reason to believe that any positive results would follow from people believing this. You and "The Author" just assert naïve things and expect people to believe you. And tha some reason pick the most skeptical places on the internet to try and recruit followers. Go find some spiritual/woo woo spaces and maybe you can find someone gullible enough.

Whether something is seen a positive or negative has no bearing on whether something is true. Reality doesn't care. The universe doesn't care.
Of course. In my second sentence I was trying to refer to her weird idea that if people believed in her version of determinism that they would magically stop stealing, murdering, etc. This is a more interesting claim than just a determinism rehash.

Back
Top Bottom